Author Topic: Voodoo buff ideas  (Read 14496 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: Voodoo buff ideas
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2016, 12:18:01 pm »
Idk about psi fatigue - it's a sword that cuts both ways. One of my goals was to disable the psi 'win' button from the OG. But I'm not contributing anything here, that's just a general musing.

In the unreleased version, I gave Espers psi vision of 7 (any more would give them too much an advantage in a firefight); Star Gods got 25-35, because they're teh masters of this game.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2016, 12:26:24 pm »
Idk about psi fatigue - it's a sword that cuts both ways. One of my goals was to disable the psi 'win' button from the OG. But I'm not contributing anything here, that's just a general musing.

I don't plan to re-introduce a 'win' button :)
The fatigue would be caused by a weapon, not just by the action. I.e. enemy weapon should/could cause it, xcom weapons should not.

Star Gods got 25-35, because they're teh masters of this game.

Ouch, that's gonna hurt :)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2016, 02:01:23 pm »
Yeah I know, I'm just still short on good ideas for psi.

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2016, 08:51:00 pm »
A teleportation mechanic as mentioned earlier would be cool (and it would present some interesting new possibilities for items).

Also something that could grant temporary invisibility/concealment per the new mechanics.

Generating illusory units perhaps (basically a copy of a selected unit that materializes adjacent to said unit under the control of the power's user; an illusory unit disappears when it would take any damage or is successfully acted upon via VD, Mind Probe, etc. Any item that leaves its possession disappears. Attacks and weaponry deal no damage)?

If you're talking strictly existent mechanics, a telekinetic attack like the TK Projector is an idea.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 08:58:54 pm by Surrealistik »

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2016, 05:12:36 am »
Xenonauts had a PSI fatigue mechanic tied to bravery - PSI attacks lowered morale and when it fell low enough they were successful.  Sounds like a good idea on paper - but ultimately it just meant after a couple turns you would drop everyone's weapons before you ended the turn since pretty much anyone can and would get mind controlled.  It pretty much ruined the game.

What if instead of panic being a binary hit/miss attack you could make it based on relative strengths?
Units that would normally be immune to that attack would take TU damage instead - could you make it persist by applying an invisible weight to the units?  Make the unit slower and slower until the effect wears off or they hit 0 TU and go berserk.

Offline BetaSpectre

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2016, 06:15:18 am »
Psi having special abilities would be interesting, there are armor weapons that are like spells. Wands that can do stuff, and such.
So maybe just adding more wands would work? Like maybe there could be a wand that can spawn a new auxiliary that doesn't drop a body when it dies or otherwise doesn't show up as dead when it breaks?

Teleportation sounds interesting, but there should be some mechanic to prevent it from being abusive, either a range limit, energy penalty, or having variance in spawn location. Or just high TU cost.

If Psi could be used like a "mind blast" to mentally inflict stun damage, or actual damage based on if a target could resist would be interesting. Like how we have possession and terror, personally I don't really like how you can only use psi in suits. I can understand psi being worthlessly nerfed without required items, but I think psi should be based more with wands. Like the ghost beam being a secondary attack from the ghost knife.

Being able to get a wand to cast invisibility on oneself would be interesting, perhaps the item would be like Halo's Active Camo function based on your psi skill 1 turn per 25 psi?, and require a hypno device per use? An invisibility grenade, or item like mushroom beer that can be used would be fun.

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
  • He who laughs last thinks fastest.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2016, 10:45:36 am »
I think the combination of the idea of psi vision and psi bullets would be a combo that would suck to face.... especially in an urban environments or ship assualt.

the monsters holed up waiting on you to assualt their machine gun nest basically. ugh terrible causualties.

Offline BetaSpectre

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2016, 10:47:30 am »
I think the combination of the idea of psi vision and psi bullets would be a combo that would suck to face.... especially in an urban environments or ship assualt.

the monsters holed up waiting on you to assualt their machine gun nest basically. ugh terrible causualties.

I don't think it would be too terrible, and the gals would have the same option later on no?
If anything I think it'll even out the playing field a bit if certain NPC's can see through smoke xD

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2016, 10:51:03 am »
I didn't finish my train of thought.... sorry.

I forgot to add, if it ignores terrain then it would ignore armor right? direct damage ignoring armor through cover or concealment would be a chore.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2016, 11:15:02 am »
At that point I'd just nuke the place. What's the point of a tactical map with terrain if everything is decided at the strategic level (either you brought the "even better than mind bullets" counter or not, which only depends on the research and equip phase)?

If things see and shoot through walls, make them do TU or stamina damage so as you get close, they slow you down to a crawl with reaction fire. And so they can do damage, you multiply their damage by one minus the twice the fraction of tus or stamina left (so fewer than 50% left you take damage).

TUs drainers would have an interesting "counter" too: you engage them while rocking out the astrocasters.

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2016, 11:22:49 am »
it's the only way to be sure...  ;D

I think you have though.  Maybe also a stun damage variant?

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2016, 11:56:01 am »
Things that can see _and_ shoot through walls sound egregiously unfun and retarded.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2016, 12:11:36 pm »
Things that can see _and_ shoot through walls sound egregiously unfun and retarded.

Agreed.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2016, 11:36:40 pm »
Kinda headed that way anyway. Psi vision seeing player units through terrain would already allow stargods to use there already existing powers pretty much immediately on many map configurations. Base defense in particular. 25 range would cover most of two rooms in all directions. I mean player bases are some of the biggest maps we regularly encounter and they are at most mid 50 tiles across.

Being under standard psi attack from turn one..... yeah no thanks.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2016, 12:59:14 am »
Sounds sensible, although not giving these buggers any psi vision would beg explanation. Dropped their range to 8-14, depending on rank.