aliens

Author Topic: Help with new missions (formerly Quick idea: Half Life mod)  (Read 9893 times)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Help with new missions (formerly Quick idea: Half Life mod)
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2016, 08:06:38 am »
I think there is an alien research mission which is "hardruled" to spawn in the first month, using the first alien race defined, and spawning in the region where the xcom base is, to ensure that a player has something to play against in the first month.

In vanilla, this gives you a sectoid research in your first base 100% of the time. Since it is defined somehow with rulesets and not hardcoded, it can be changed, but not quite in the way you are implying.

As for your terror mission idea, I think it is possible to make a mission which ends as a victory after a set number of turns (provided you survive). This could sort of work: The team is deployed in the hot zone and has to make a difference before the national guard comes in. If you make the bonus for winning very small, the end result can be 100% based on how the player does:

- Kill a lot of aliens/save a lot of civilians = lots of points.
- Don't kill much/lose lots of soldiers or civilians = lose points.

You could just hide and do nothing (so not meeting your 75% alien kills), but then you won't be getting points for aliens killed and presumably they will kill the civilians, so you would lose points overall for not doing well. It changes the focus, but it could be interesting.

Maybe you can use that as a "common mission", so it doesn't become the potentially annoying after a while "hunt the last alien", and keep typical terror where you have to finish things off yourself as well, on a monthly basis (maybe then the national guard can't show up within a day, or it's in a large city and it has to be dealt with in less time than a coordinated assault takes to organize, so it's you or nothing.)

Offline Axebeard

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2016, 09:01:46 am »
Arthanor, I really like that idea!

I just wish I had any idea how to actually implement it!

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2016, 09:40:03 am »
Neither do I, but Hobbes knows ;)

Check the Area 51 conversion he made. There's special missions there, one of which is a survival mission sort of like what I describe.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2016, 11:31:48 pm »
I just wish I had any idea how to actually implement it!

Make a detailed list of everything you want changed from the vanilla missions, regarding mission types, frequency, conditionals, etc. Then I'll go over it and say what is possible and what is not, and if it helps, I'll create a starting ruleset for you

Offline Axebeard

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2016, 01:32:56 am »
Wow, I'd really appreciate that! A starting ruleset would be extremely helpful.
I'm flexible on the numbers, I assume that's the easy part to alter later.

1 - No alien ships visible.
2 - All missions for the first year or two are custom Terror missions
(mission ends in success if 75% of aliens are killed by turn 25)
3 - These custom terror missions should spawn twice a month or so

I think this next part is related to maptiles, but I'm not positive:
4 - some missions have a vehicle item that can't be carried, but is recovered if you complete the mission (kill everything I assume)
(maptiles so the item can't be picked up?)

5 - After a year or two, then alien ships start showing up, then the game goes into vanilla Xcom mode basically (I haven't thought that far ahead yet)

The only other thing I was thinking about was recruiting Engineers and Scientists from mission sites. I know you could knock em out like in Piratez, but I can't think of any way that makes sense in-game to gain items from living NPC civilians (not KO'ed civvies). Is there a way to generate a random item based on the end of mission score or how many Civilians are alive at the end?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2016, 04:15:25 am »
(mission ends in success if 75% of aliens are killed by turn 25)

Not possible. However you can set the mission conditions so that you win if at least 1 XCom survives until turn X

I think this next part is related to maptiles, but I'm not positive:
4 - some missions have a vehicle item that can't be carried, but is recovered if you complete the mission (kill everything I assume)
(maptiles so the item can't be picked up?)

It should be possible but I haven't tried it myself yet. I will involve editing terrains, mapscripts, alienDeployments, plus a couple more rulesets, and editing the .MCD files (map tiles) and the .MAP files

The only other thing I was thinking about was recruiting Engineers and Scientists from mission sites. I know you could knock em out like in Piratez, but I can't think of any way that makes sense in-game to gain items from living NPC civilians (not KO'ed civvies). Is there a way to generate a random item based on the end of mission score or how many Civilians are alive at the end?

No to both random item based on score and number of civilians alive

Everything else you mentioned is included on the attached .zip file. You can start using it as a mod right away

List of changes:
* Switched all the start dates of the vanilla missions for 1 year later
* Added a New Mission to run twice each month, with the same tactical conditions of terror sites but without UFOs. These twin monthly missions  last until the end of 1999.
* I actually didn't change the start dates of the Retaliation missions since they are already scheduled to start mostly around 2000, depending on the difficulty level