aliens

Author Topic: Scout Drone compatible with lastest nightly build?  (Read 11574 times)

Offline The_Atomik_Punk!

• Sergeant
  • Nobody rules these streets at night but me!!!
    • View Profile
Scout Drone compatible with lastest nightly build?
« on: July 23, 2016, 09:27:44 am »

So I completed a playthrough of OpenXcom 1.0 using the Scoutdrone mod, but I can't seem to get it configured to work with the latest nightly in the mod folder. Does anyone know if it's compatible? I surely hope so, as I found it to be an increadibly useful tactical addition to the game, and would love to be able to use it with the latest OpenXcom build; any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Scout Drone compatible with lastest nightly build?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 10:17:13 am »
I did a quick look and its ammo (the items: section) seems to be missing
Code: [Select]
    floorSprite: 12
which probably causes a crash on base defence.

The entry in the armors: section should have:
Code: [Select]
    allowInv: false

Try adding these. If it still doesn't work, come back and we'll see what else may be missing.

Offline The_Atomik_Punk!

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 06:27:04 pm »
Hey Solarius Scorch, thank you very much for the reply.

So I added the two lines to the specified sections, and no dice. I should have been more clear before: when I enable the mod in-game, I get a lockup where OpenXcom won't get past the DOS initialization screen, and the game won't start.

I could be wrong, but I think that there is an error on my part with the file structure of how the scoutdrone archive is compiled and thus extracted. Should I just be simply extracting the archive in my mod folder, or extracting it into it's own separate folder within mods? I ask this because if I just extract it to mods like all other archives, there are loose files (tank.rul, scoutdrone.rul) as well as another folder named the same as the one above it, scoutdrone. Within this scoutdrone folder (that is within a folder also named scoutdrone, there is another folder called drone which contains all the .gif files, except for three which are one level above, SD_UP.gif, floorbob_84.gif, and bigbobs_63. I think the intial DOS initialization error message mentioned something about not being able to access bigbobs_63.gif?

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 06:58:34 pm »
Are you using a recent Nightly?

Offline The_Atomik_Punk!

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 07:12:44 pm »
Yessir; first sentence in my OP.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 07:34:58 pm »
LOl.  Sorry about that.  I was connecting this with an earlier post you had made in the soldier stats thread, and I was thinking you were using the old version.  That said, I've not checked into this mod, so I'll try to be more specific.

Try to make your mod folder structure similar to what is in the faq here:
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Installation_FAQ_(OpenXcom)#Nightlies_.28eventually_to_be_used_for_v2.0.29_2

Offline The_Atomik_Punk!

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 09:01:57 pm »
LOl.  Sorry about that.  I was connecting this with an earlier post you had made in the soldier stats thread, and I was thinking you were using the old version.  That said, I've not checked into this mod, so I'll try to be more specific.

Try to make your mod folder structure similar to what is in the faq here:
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Installation_FAQ_(OpenXcom)#Nightlies_.28eventually_to_be_used_for_v2.0.29_2

No worries Ivan, and I'm sorry if my post seemed snippy; I can totally understand the confusion due to my posting in two similar threads recently!  ;D

You nailed it bud; by organizing this "old mod" for use with the new mod file structure (creating Resources and ruleset  subfolders and placing these assets in there), everything now works like a charm! Thank you very much for the help, Ivan!

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 04:33:51 am »
I overworked the Scout Drone Mod, I found on my harddrive, converted all sprites into *.png, fixed some minor ruleset errors.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 09:02:21 pm by hellrazor »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 04:41:00 am »
Wasn't there a mod which added small armed drones on the modportal? Like AVG's or AWG's or so?
Because i wanted to eventually use those. Just asking around if someone still has it.

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 03:45:03 pm »
I have this one which might be what you're looking for.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 05:37:46 pm »
I have this one which might be what you're looking for.

Jeah thanks i found it already myself. But thanks thou.

Offline The_Atomik_Punk!

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2016, 06:47:38 am »
I overworked the Scout Drone Mod, I found on my harddrive, converted all sprites into *.png, fixed some minor ruleset errors.

So I gave your updated scoutdrone mod a whirl, and I'm getting some weird behaviour not present in the previous build. When aiming with a scoutdrone, I have 100% accuracy up to 4 tiles away, and after that, I have 0% accuracy, and receive a message of "target out of range" or something to that effect. I disabled all other mods, and am running the (second) latest nightly. Anyone else experiencing this behaviour?

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2016, 07:11:09 am »
So I gave your updated scoutdrone mod a whirl, and I'm getting some weird behaviour not present in the previous build. When aiming with a scoutdrone, I have 100% accuracy up to 4 tiles away, and after that, I have 0% accuracy, and receive a message of "target out of range" or something to that effect. I disabled all other mods, and am running the (second) latest nightly. Anyone else experiencing this behaviour?

This is working as designed.  The range on the scout drone was nerfed to 3 tiles. This is far enough to drop some smoke between it and enemies but not so overpowered to smoke the whole map. 

I typically ran the drone out to about half of his TUs then smoked.

Offline The_Atomik_Punk!

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2016, 07:45:48 am »
This is working as designed.  The range on the scout drone was nerfed to 3 tiles. This is far enough to drop some smoke between it and enemies but not so overpowered to smoke the whole map. 

I typically ran the drone out to about half of his TUs then smoked.

Gotcha; I'll have to think about how that'll change my ussage of the drone. I agree, for my first playthrough with the scout, I found it somewhat OP by being able to shoot 3-4 rounds of smoke all over the map per turn. Out of curiosity, how was three tiles settled on? Any pragmatic reasoning behind that in-game distance?

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2016, 07:51:46 am »
The three tiles worked quite well, imo.  Its enough that when fired toward the enemy it puts the bulk of the smoke between you, rather than surrounding you like when you drop one at your feet. 
The three tiles also helped reduce reaction fire spam from the drone, though it will definitely pop out a round or two if an enemy steps around a corner right in front of it. :)