Author Topic: PSX Cutscenes  (Read 3434 times)

Offline The_Atomik_Punk!

• Sergeant
  • Nobody rules these streets at night but me!!!
    • View Profile
PSX Cutscenes
« on: July 23, 2016, 01:48:13 am »
As the thread title says, I think it would be awesome to have the ability to integrate the Playstation cinematics into OpenXcom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htwC1_e-KeU

I just finished playing (Open)Xcom for the very first time (beginner, Ironman), and it was one of the best gaming experiences I've had in a long time; Xcom- thanks to this mod- is easily in my top 10 games of all time now. Having said that, the slideshow ending after such a momentous achievement was quite lackluster, particularly considering how improved the gameplay/ and audio visual experience is with all of these mods. To me, having the ability to insert the PSX prerendered cinematics would improve the OpenXcom experience.

Has this been discussed before? Anyone else on board?

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: PSX Cutscenes
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 03:13:00 am »
It could probably be modded in, considering that OpenXcom can already play TFTD's FMV cutscenes.

Offline sylandro

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: PSX Cutscenes
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 03:55:47 pm »
I tried to mod them in last year but ultimately couldn't.

TFTD's cutscenes are in a different format than UFO's. One can try to convert UFO's videos (or any video actually) to the TFTD format (FLC) using RAD Video Tools or some old 90's era editors, but the current implementation of OpenXcom would only play the video without sound.

This happens because the FLC format has multiple versions, and OpenXcom has a custom implementation that does not conform 100% to the FLC specification, since it was made only to play the TFTD format.

Here I posted some of my findings:
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,3639.0.html

It's been a year since I was fiddling with this so I don't remember everything, but if I recall correctly, there was an open source library, part of ffmpeg, that in theory could be used in the current code in order to support all FLC variants.

TL;DR: It's not possible with the current implementation, unless someone codes it in.

EDIT: Actually, that was with last's year source code. I haven't checked if there have been any changes in the implementation.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 03:58:48 pm by sylandro »