Author Topic: Star Breachers - a fiction story  (Read 3725 times)

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
Star Breachers - a fiction story
« on: July 09, 2016, 11:53:05 pm »
My name is Danielle Revenu, and I am a Star Breacher.

My story begins a few months after the alien war got fired up. I had excellent performance ratings in the military and an X-Com recruiter had contacted me to encourage me to fight the big war to save the world. The retirement pension came early and it was big, he said. He would tell me of the things I would have after the war, but it all seemed so meaningless, if the Earth was doomed to fall to these marauding invaders.
     I was among the minority who felt the aliens were a major threat to our way of life. Nay, to our lives. They won't stop until our civilization crumbles, till every last human on the planet is either killed or hauled off on one of their ships, and it was anybody's guess as to what happened to the people they took away. We didn't know much about the aliens but we knew enough to know we were in very grave danger. But most people thought the aliens were just showing up occasionally, randomly, like small terrorist groups. Some people thought they weren't even real.
     And so it was that I chose to join X-Com, if for no other reason than to fight for the survival of my own species. I didn't want to go to war, but I had to. Right, you're probably thinking, "a soldier who doesn't want to go to war?" Yeah, well, get used to it. I'm not the fighting type. As a child, I was often invited to the boys' snowball forts. They all wanted me on their team because the team that had me would never lose. It would never win, either. None of the boys ever managed to hit me with a snowball, yet I rarely succeeded in scoring any hits, either. Perhaps I was terrible at throwing snowballs, or perhaps I just didn't like to hurl things at my friends.
     It's no different now, I never liked fighting and wars make me uneasy. I'm almost not even sure why I joined the military. As I look back to recall the chain of events that led me down this path, I can see no pattern that clearly presses on me to become a warrior. Yet here I am.
     Here I am on the flight deck, carrying a few bags of things, ready to board the secret X-Com plane and be transported to the hidden base. The military had put me on plenty of planes before, but I wasn't prepared for this. This was a monster of a stealth fighter, of a type I had never seen before. The beast was covered in dark matte paint and marked with drab tan and brown X-Com emblems. It was a two-seater and it looked like it was built for aerial reconnaissance missions. Was this the right plane? Was there some clerical error? Was this for real?
     Real or not, they stuffed my bags into cramped storage compartments and sat me down in the rear co-pilot's seat. It finally dawned on me why they had me put on this heavy awkward-fitting suit. It was a flight suit. And I was going in the air.
     They revved up the engines and taxied to the short runway. The very short runway. I was just thinking about how likely it would be for a Boeing 767 to take off from a strip this size, when I was thrown back in my seat. For a moment the plane seemed to have tipped up at a fierce angle and the Earth's gravity had suddenly increased dramatically. Then I watched the lights and markings on the air strip rush past on either side at ever-increasing speed, and in mere seconds we were in the air. It happened so quickly I almost didn't notice the all-encompassing roar of the engines firing at full power.
     This craft was like a dream, a fantasy aircraft that you read about in stories. Nothing like this could really exist. The roar of the engine was more like several explosions happening in rapid succession, smoothed out and strung together in this tremendous du-du-du-du-du-du-du sound. I couldn't see the ground anymore, and the weight of the acceleration prevented me from moving. I was pressed deep into the soft seat, and it was beginning to eat me alive. We continued to accelerate on a steep upward trajectory and I felt my ears pop several times. The air was thinning, and bright white streams were forming around the nose of the aircraft, shooting back along the fuselage. Then everything began to fade away.
     I awoke to a searing headache and a dull roar coming from all around me. As I regained awareness, I found myself still in the co-pilot's seat, and we were cruising at high altitude. It was night. My whole body felt funny, but I could move again. I turned my head to look out the side, and saw beneath us the ground was so far away I could scarcely identify anything. It was broad daylight, yet the sky was black. The wings had faint white streams rolling over them like angelic remoras chasing after a giant shark in the sky.
     I don't remember very much after that up until landing, but I have a faint memory of me screaming a lot and begging for my mommy. It was embarrassing to start my first day with such a display. I hoped I could live it down. The room around me was a medical examination room, but it was filled with strange equipment and on the wall there were depictions of the aliens' anatomy. From there it was a blur. The doc came in and gave me a basic physical, and told me I'm good to go. He said drink plenty of fluids. The headache was mostly gone now. I was taken to the bunk room and shown to my bunk. Both male and female soldiers were bunking together in one big room. Some soldiers greeted me with warmth and friendliness, and talked to me about life on this base. It all seemed like some elaborate fantasy. Here I was, in an underground X-Com facility. I'd always knew that somewhere out there something like this existed, but I guess part of me was never certain it was real. Yet here I was.
     I couldn't sleep that night. They had done so much to ensure I was comfortable, but my mind was reeling with the magnitude of the situation. I'm in an X-Com base, soon I'll be in X-Com training, and then...and I didn't want to think about what happens after training.

The next morning I was to dress up in the X-Com armored combat uniform and show up for training. The suit was surprisingly light and comfortable. As I tried to find my way to the training unit, a female soldier stopped and greeted me. I saw her name tag said Captain Helga Steinbach, and she clearly displayed the X-Com rank insignia of captain. My military training came back to me in an instant and I snapped to attention. "Greetings, Ma'am!" I belted out. "Relax," she said warmly, "you don't have to call me captain. Ranks work differently here. You can call me Helga."
     I didn't expect that. This place had seemed much more relaxed than any military installation. It was starting to look like a bunch of campfire buddies rather than a warfighting installation. "Helga," I spoke tentatively. "You must be Danielle, the new recruit," she said with a smile on her face. "Come on, I'll show you to the training room."
     I followed her down the hall, around a corner, and into...the cafeteria. She went up to the counter and collected a few packaged food items, then sat me down at a table and proceeded to open the food and eat. I suddenly became aware of my hunger, so I ate the food. Between bites, I had to ask, "aren't we supposed to be headed for training?" Helga responded, "yeah, but I didn't want to head out on an empty stomach."
     We arrived in the training room with everyone else already present and engaged in some sort of weapons' simulation. The training officer approached us and said tersely, "you two ladies are late! I'll expect this won't happen again?" Helga spoke confidently, "This is the new rookie, Danielle. I had to make sure she got a bite to eat." "Ah, Danielle," his face brightened immediately, "pleased to be working with you!" He extended a hand. "Call me Dani," I said confidently, shaking his hand. "Dani, then." He smiled.
     Training here was rough, but everyone was kind and encouraging. I quickly made friends with most of the soldiers in the platoon. It was a small platoon. Over the next few days I trained hard, and they put me through a battery of tests to see what I was made of. When the results came in, I was told I had exceptionally good reaction time and that I was to be a breacher. I didn't know what that meant, but everyone cheered for me. It certainly seemed to win me some popularity points.
     I sat down to lunch with an experienced breacher. His name was Tom King and he was rank Sergeant in the X-Com rank system. That was the first rank above squaddie, the term they use for non-ranking soldiers who have been in combat. I was a rookie, meaning I had no rank and I hadn't been in combat. I postured the burning question, "so what does it mean to be a breacher?"
     He told me, "You see, there are four jobs of soldiers in X-Com. There's the rangers, who scout the field and relay intel to the commander. They are a support soldier." He stopped to eat a spoonful from his bowl of stew. "Go on," I pleaded. He chewed for a moment, then swallowed. "Then there's the snipers, they get into strategic positions and take out the aliens at medium range before they have a chance to react." I listened, eager for him to tell me about breachers, but I knew he was saving it for last. "Then there are the heavies. They carry heavy weapons on the field to fire upon groups of aliens, or to take out larger alien threats. they can also remove obstacles from the field." I couldn't help but chuckle at the way he so calmly said it: remove obstacles from the field.
     "And then there are breachers. They are the first to go in the alien ship." Well that wasn't very reassuring, I thought. "You see, each craft we have encountered so far has exactly one entrance door, so the aliens know which way we're coming in and they are waiting for us." Definitely not reassuring. I sunk into my chair a bit. "Couldn't we just wait for the aliens to come outside?" I inquired. "They won't come out." He said it with a confidence that suggests the aliens remain inside like a stubborn child who refuses to move. I pleaded, "couldn't we just break down the walls and come in from another direction?" "The walls are too strong. We can't break through without destroying the whole craft along with half the countryside around it." He said this matter-of-factly, as if it was a trivial detail he'd read out of a book.
     I felt sick. I felt a sense of impending doom, like they tell you about in medical journals, in their lists of symptoms people get. It's that one you think oh nobody actually gets that, but here I was, feeling like I was going to die soon. Here was a living breacher sitting before me, he'd had experience. He was first inside the craft once. And he survived. He survived once maybe, maybe two times. Eventually he would die and I would die too, and we'd be heroes but we'd be dead.
     "So what's that star on your uniform?" I asked, changing the subject. "This? Oh this means I am a star breacher. We get this star after we face off over a dozen aliens at once. Me, I burst through that door, guns blazing, and I was surrounded aliens. They were left and right, firing their plasma weapons at me. Shots whizzing past, I'm dodging side to side, killing every single one of them. One. By. One." I was staring at this man with a look of horror in my eyes. He seemed to delight in my horror, as he continued, "I was hit by one of them. Glanced off my armor. That's how I got this burn," he lifts his uniform shirt to show massive scarring all over his left side torso.
     Helga sneaks up behind him and pokes him in the scarred side, causing him to recoil and spin around. He sees her and immediately puts his shirt down. "Ow, that hurt!" he protested. Helga turns to me and says "don't let him scare you. Nobody ever faced off against a dozen aliens at once." She looks back to Tom. "Oh yeah, and Tommy actually got this scar on a different mission. He was running in the open and got hit by a stray shot." "I was rushing to save Sam," he reminded her, "I'm a hero!" "Yes you are," she agreed.
     "So is it true..?" I tentatively asked, "are breachers the first into the alien ship?" Helga nodded, "yes, but don't let that scare you. We rattle them up a bit before we go inside. No breacher has ever been killed breaching an alien craft, and once you get your star, you don't have to be first inside anymore.

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Star Breachers - a fiction story
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 11:53:27 pm »
     Today is the day of my first mission. I've been trained by X-Com to prepare me for these alien threats, and they're going to send me into the craft first. I'm ready for this, they tell me. I don't think I'll ever be ready for this job. The Skyranger transport craft glides downward and all we can hear is the loud roar of its thunderous engines. There is a bump and the whole craft shakes, then the engines shut off. For a moment, everything is silent. Everyone seems to freeze in place. Then the ramp slowly glides down, the bright light outside briefly blinds me, and there's a loud "thud!" as the ramp hits the ground.
     Before I know what's happening, we're all diving out of the Skyranger and rushing to find cover, checking the area for aliens. Everyone gets into position behind trees, rocks, around shed corners, by fence posts, anything that will provide cover. We've landed near a farmhouse and I've run up to this shed nearby. Suddenly I feel very vulnerable. On one side the shed protects me, but I can't see anything past it. On the other side is open air, and any alien out there could snipe me from a distance. I look out and see the other soldiers have taken positions that would enable them to see anyone coming at me. They are defending me, and I've got to trust them.
     I peer around the corner and there's nothing in sight. No aliens, no shots heard, no alien ship. Just a shed and the quiet countryside. I see the rangers crouching next to the bushes, running along almost out of sight. They stop and begin to talk on their CB radios. I hear the radio chatter over my own CB: "Mission control, this is Ranger Webb. I can see the alien craft. The craft is clear and there is one sectoid inside the barn, upper level, by the near window." That alien is probably going to try to snipe us as we approach the craft!
     "Roger that, Webb, this is mission control. We have a visual on your position. Sniper Miller, can you confirm the position of the sectoid?"
     "Sniper Miller, I am looking at the barn window through my scope but I do not see the sectoid."
     "Ranger Webb, the sectoid is right of the window by two feet."
     "Sniper Miller, open fire on that sectoid."
     "Roger, Mission Control."
     There are a few seconds of radio silence, then three shots echo across the landscape.
     "Ranger Webb, I can confirm the sectoid has been taken out.
     "Alright. Send in the rookie breacher as long as the site remains clear."
     "Ranger Kemp, I see no sign of aliens near the craft or hiding in nearby structures. Sniper Bryant, keep your weapon trained on the farmhouse windows. Sniper Miller, keep your weapon trained on all barn openings. Breacher Revenu and Breacher King, proceed to the UFO entrance."
     I steeled my nerves and readied myself for the inevitable. This was the big moment, the moment I had been dreading since I arrived with X-Com. I told myself I was going to be alright, everything was okay, and I bolted across the field toward the craft when I heard a shot ring out. I was right out in the open and I was sure I was being shot at. Tom knocked me to the ground and we lay flat in the tall grass. The shot had come from an X-Com sniper rifle, and there was a shrill otherworldly scream emanating from the farmhouse. In the upstairs window I caught a glimpse of an injured sectoid writhing in agony, bleeding its green blood everywhere out of a gaping wound in its giant head. Another shot and the sectoid dropped out of sight, silent. The farmhouse window remained intact, with two white marks and a big green smear.
     I'm okay, I told myself. We seem to have everything under control. Tom grabbed me off the ground and pulled me toward the craft. I ran and took position near the entrance but just around the side, for cover. Tom took the other side. There was a lot of radio chatter, and we were told to standby in our positions and fire upon any aliens exiting the craft. Mission control gave order to the heavies. There was weapons fire from the direction of the Skyranger, shells flew overhead and detonated on top of the craft. They were firing a barrage of explosive rounds onto the top of the craft, and every time one hit, I could feel the whole craft shake, and the ground around it shook as well.
     I couldn't hear anything, the sound of the shells was deafening. Then Tom gestured at me. He was giving me the signal to enter the craft. The door was small, barely large enough for one person, definitely not enough room for two at once. I had been trained how to operate the door. I pressed the button to open it, and the door rose up inside the craft like in a science fiction film. Before I knew what I was doing, I found myself rushing inside.
     I knew I was going to die. I had seen the statistics. Seven soldiers dead in three months, six were breachers. It was a coincidence, they said, no breacher had ever died breaching an alien craft main door. It was just a concidence that everyone who died was a breacher. There were more breachers than other billets among X-Com soldiers, they said. I couldn't convince myself of that. I was going to die. I was going to be the eighth dead soldier, the seventh dead breacher. I was going to die an unsung hero, and become a statistic.
     There were four sectoids immediately inside the craft. Everything seemed to freeze for a moment as we stared at each other in stunned silence. They didn't have their weapons at the ready; my weapon was already pointed at them. I knew this was the end. All four were armed and there was no possible way I could take them all out at once. I fired upon the two to my right, as they were close together and I thought maybe I could take them out before I went down.
     I filled them with several shots, and they seemed to just absorb the bullets. They remained standing, weapons aimed at the floor. I dove to the floor toward the power unit for cover, firing at one of the sectoids to my left. They were shooting at me now. They missed a few shots, and I could feel the warm plasma hitting the wall behind me. They were immune to my weapons' fire and I was going to die. I curled up by the power unit and waited for death.
     In my final moments, I could see Tom coming through the door of the craft, firing his rifle. Then everything went silent. I rose up from my hiding spot, shaking, and as I looked around all I saw was dead sectoids with pools of green blood streaming out of their bullet-ridden corpses. It was horrifying. And I was alive. Had Tom come to my rescue? It seemed as if he had shot down all of them to save me.

He took my hand with a smile and led me out of the craft. The other soldiers were running up, shouting eagerly. Soon I was engulfed by cheers and smothered with praise. One of the soldiers lifted me into the air and everyone cheered at me!
     "She was a beast in there!" Tom was telling the others my story at dinner, "she ran in like a lightning bolt, then all I hear is BA-PA-PA-PA-PA and these sectoids are dropping like flies! For a moment, I thought she wasn't going to make it, one of the sectoids was shooting at her. I took that one out but she handled the other three!" The soldiers were gasping at how amazing I was. "I can't believe you took out three sectoids at once!" one of them said, amazed, "and you're not even injured!"
     "Are you sure I took them out?" I smiled sheepishly, "I think Tom did most of the killing. All I did was curl up into the fetal position and wait for death." "Bah!" Tom spoke up, "that was all you, babe! I bet if I hadn't been there, you'd have walked out with four kills!" I didn't know what to say.
     That night, I had trouble sleeping. They had given me my star. I kept replaying the event in my head, how we killed six sectoids with zero casualties on our side. This is a common mission outcome, they said. We don't like to lose soldiers, they said. As if we could just choose to win the fight, like a child declaring victory over his rival before having done anything to deserve it. I remembered their faces-the faces of the sectoids were unlike any creature on Earth-yet they were clearly afraid. The look of fear was universal, the way they shied away from us, the way they hid around corners and behind doors, the way they screamed in agony and horror as we slaughtered them.
     They were the predators, and we were their food. They never thought we would fight back, and yet we were. They recoil from us like a child who's been bit by the mouse he was playing with. It was like if your sandwich took a bite out of you. These aliens saw us as cattle until we began to fight back. And now they are the prey, and we are the predators.
     We're fighting to preserve our lives, but it may come at the cost of theirs. But they started this, I kept telling myself. They're coming after us, not the other way around. They're attacking us. They're gathering us for experiments and for food. I guess this is what happens when one monster meets another monster.

Offline Yataka Shimaoka

• Colonel
  • I'm the trouble maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 12:12:29 pm »
Damn, this is one good story...
Too bad it is not continued...  :-[
Mind if I continue this?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 05:37:01 pm by Yataka Shimaoka »

Offline Yataka Shimaoka

• Colonel
  • I'm the trouble maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 06:59:03 pm »
After my first mission in the barn yesterday, I somehow felt bad, killing those creatures. What if they had a family to come back to? They were here to invade us,yes, we kill them, yes, they killed many if us, yes, but is there still a way to stop this war without spilling more blood and unnecessary deaths?

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 02:38:37 am »
I like it.

When I first wrote the story, I was basing it on the lives on my soldiers in a game of X-Com that I was playing. I sought to show the story through the eyes of one of my top breachers, while also revealing hidden controversies through an unbiased narrator. Sometimes the X-Com world seems to me like a beat-down, X-Com creaming this small band of aliens struggling to survive. There are many possible explanations for their ineptitude, most probably center around the aliens having a routine for handing animals that has worked great for millions of years, and they've never once had a successful uprising. Perhaps they evolved from a hive-mind species and they have never experienced war. But one way or another, a tiny, underfunded secret government project singlehandedly steals technology from aliens and uses that technology to pummel them to extinction.

I'm curious to see other people's interpretation of these events. One thing I can say for certain, however, is that these aren't your typical sci-fi alien invaders who thrive in war and just want to conquer us. Everything we see about them screams to the contrary. They can't live without us and they can't live with us.