aliens

Author Topic: OBSOLETE: [PirateZ] Commendations Mod 0.1  (Read 15095 times)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
OBSOLETE: [PirateZ] Commendations Mod 0.1
« on: July 05, 2016, 09:59:58 pm »
Attention:  With the release of Piratez version .99A, Dioxine has integrated an excellent set of commendations into the main mod.  As such, I have dropped support of this mod.  If others want to work with it, they are free do so!  Thanks! - Ivan :D

(In order to move to the new integrated commendations mod, you must clear out previous medals.
1. Enter debug mode in Geoscape. - CTRL-D
2. Clear medals - CTRL-C
Alternately you can remove all soldier diaries: CTRL -A
3. Leave debug mode: CTRL-D)

With the new inclusion of Soldier's Diaries in Meridian's latest build (Jul 05, 2016) we are now at the point we can seriously consider/work on a Commendations Mod for Piratez.

There has been some initial work done by DracoGriffin as well as some brainstorming in the main Soldier Diaries thread.

I'll try to capture those items here to continue the discussions.

Where we are with Commendations:
 - Shoes maintains a main Commendations (Soldiers Diaries)  Thread Here:
    - most of the latter pages of the thread are bug fixes/reports here or there.
 - Commendations was written for Vanilla XCOM UFO, and as such features only those races/ranks/weapons/damagetypes in criteria, etc. 
 - The medals displayed after a mission are small ribbon graphics, that may get small stars, etc to indicate further awards
 - DracoGriffin has done an initial re-write of names of ribbons and descriptions to be more Piratey. 
 - Ufopaedia entries for the medals are were written for vanilla, as are the graphics for the medals themselves.  (All the entries would need to be reworked, as would many of the graphics.  At this point I have completed rewriting the Ufopedia text entries for the medals but the graphics are from vanilla.) 

Discussions:
Replacing the vanilla ribbons with more piratey bling, eg, tattoos, or jewelry pieces. 
- This would most likely require re-coding how the graphics are displayed, and would need Meridian or Shoes, or some other willing soul to lend a hand.

I would recommend a hard look at the amount of awards with an eye to reducing bloat.

Also: Is this Commendations integration something that Dioxine wants to handle without collaboration?  Obviously, anyone can make their own mod for XPirateZ, as I did with the initial Ufopedia mod for Commendations back in the day.  But if Dioxine wants direct control over this, then maybe it makes sense to only provide support where he'd desire it.

Spoilered below: Brainstorming from the Commendations Thread
Spoiler:
Arthanor:
I think coming up with medals will be easy. It's not coming up with too many medals which will be hard ;)

It's true that making proper award graphics for everything will be quite a lot of work though.. But since pirates don't do medals, maybe there can be something easier. Like the Iconoclast award (for killing 1 of every church rank? Or X number of church people?) could just be a picture of a smashed up church, or, as a placeholder, just show the corpse of a church cardinal. This way, Dioxine's ability to find awesome pics can come to the rescue, instead of finely crafting military style medals.

Anyhow.. we should sulk back into our Piratez subforum for that topic ;)

jgatkinsn
Come on... tattoos...tattoos!

Arthanor:
Yeah, that would work too! And make it not too bad to implement: same background (skin, maybe 2-3 tones variations at most) for everything, then draw something on top (for people who are good at that drawing thing!)

I'm attaching a version of Draco's .zip, with a couple bug fixes, a bit of annotation, and some languages removed (all but En-US, the official XPirateZ lang).
Edit: updated the package with fixes to get it to work with PirateZ as master.

Edit 2: Adding new revamped mod package. "Piratez Commendations.zip" (use instead of Piratez_Trophies.zip, not both)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 04:06:42 am by ivandogovich »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: [PirateZ] Commendations
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 01:40:50 am »
Also:  Looks like we need to get these strings added for Soldier Diaries to work correctly:

Code: [Select]
extraStrings:
  - type: en-US
    strings:
  STR_DIARY: "LOG"
  STR_KILLED: "KILLED"
  STR_STUNNED: "STUNNED"
  STR_PANICKED: "PANICKED"
  STR_MINDCONTROLLED: "VOODOOED"
  STR_REGION_UNKNOWN: "Undisclosed"
  STR_WEAPON_UNKNOWN: "Improvisation"
  STR_UNKNOWN: "Unknown"
  STR_VICTORY: "Victory"
  STR_DEFEAT: "Defeat"
  STR_NO_RECORD: "No record"
  STR_HUMAN: "Human"
  STR_FRIENDLY: "Friendly"
  STR_HOSTILE: "Hostile"
  STR_NEUTRAL: "Neutral"
  STR_RATING_UC: "RATING"
  STR_LOCATION: "LOCATION> {ALT}{0}"
  STR_DAYLIGHT_TYPE: "TIME> {ALT}{0}"
  STR_RACE_TYPE: "FACTION> {ALT}{0}"
  STR_DAY: "Day"
  STR_NIGHT: "Night"
  STR_DAYS_WOUNDED: "DAYS WOUNDED> {ALT}{0}"
  STR_COMBAT: "COMBAT"
  STR_PERFORMANCE: "PERFORMANCE"
  STR_NEUTRALIZATIONS_BY_RACE: "NEUTRALIZATIONS BY FACTION"
  STR_NEUTRALIZATIONS_BY_RANK: "NEUTRALIZATIONS BY RANK"
  STR_NEUTRALIZATIONS_BY_WEAPON: "NEUTRALIZATIONS BY WEAPON"
  STR_MISSIONS_BY_LOCATION: "MISSIONS BY LOCATION"
  STR_MISSIONS_BY_TYPE: "MISSIONS BY TYPE"
  STR_MISSIONS_BY_UFO: "MISSIONS BY SHIPPINGS"
  STR_SCORE_VALUE: "SCORE> {ALT}{0}"
  STR_WINS: "WINS> {ALT}{0}"
  STR_STUNS: "STUNS> {ALT}{0}"
  STR_PANICKS: "PANICKS> {ALT}{0}"
  STR_MINDCONTROLS: "CONTROLS> {ALT}{0}"
  STR_AWARDS: "AWARDS"
  STR_COMMENDATIONS_UC: "COMMENDATIONS"
  STR_COMMENDATIONS: "Commendations"
  STR_MEDALS: "MEDALS"
  STR_LOST_IN_SERVICE: "LOST IN SERVICE"
  STR_MEDAL_NAME: "Medal Name"
  STR_MEDAL_AWARD_LEVEL: "Award Level"
  STR_MEDAL_DECOR_LEVEL: "Decoration Level"
  STR_AWARD_0: "First award"
  STR_AWARD_1: "Second award"
  STR_AWARD_2: "Third award"
  STR_AWARD_3: "Fourth award"
  STR_AWARD_4: "Fifth award"
  STR_AWARD_5: "Sixth award"
  STR_AWARD_6: "Seventh award"
  STR_AWARD_7: "Eighth award"
  STR_AWARD_8: "Ninth award"
  STR_AWARD_9: "Tenth award"
  STR_AWARD_DECOR_0: "None"
  STR_AWARD_DECOR_1: "First bronze pin"
  STR_AWARD_DECOR_2: "Second bronze pin"
  STR_AWARD_DECOR_3: "Third bronze pin"
  STR_AWARD_DECOR_4: "First silver pin"
  STR_AWARD_DECOR_5: "Second silver pin"
  STR_AWARD_DECOR_6: "Third silver pin"
  STR_AWARD_DECOR_7: "First gold pin"
  STR_AWARD_DECOR_8: "Second gold pin"
  STR_AWARD_DECOR_9: "Third gold pin"
  STR_KILLED_IN_ACTION: "KILLED IN ACTION"
  STR_MISSING_IN_ACTION: "MISSING IN ACTION"
  STR_MISSIONS: "MISSIONS"
  STR_AVERAGE_MONTHLY_RATING: "Average monthly rating"
  STR_TOTAL_INCOME: "Total income"
  STR_TOTAL_EXPENDITURE: "Total expenditure"
  STR_MISSIONS_WON: "Missions accomplished"
  STR_MISSIONS_LOST: "Missions failed"
  STR_NIGHT_MISSIONS: "Night missions"
  STR_BEST_RATING: "Best mission rating"
  STR_WORST_RATING: "Worst mission rating"
  STR_ALIEN_KILLS: "Enemy killed"
  STR_ALIEN_CAPTURES: "Enemy captured"
  STR_FRIENDLY_KILLS: "Friendly fire incidents"
  STR_AVERAGE_ACCURACY: "Average accuracy"
  STR_WEAPON_MOST_KILLS: "Most effective weapon"
  STR_ALIEN_MOST_KILLS: "Deadliest Foe"
  STR_LONGEST_SERVICE: "Longest months in service"
  STR_TOTAL_DAYS_WOUNDED: "Sick days"
  STR_COUNTRIES_LOST: "Countries Swayed"
  STR_TOTAL_TERROR_SITES: "Pogroms"
  STR_TOTAL_BASES: "Hideouts built"
  STR_TOTAL_CRAFT: "Vessels in the Fleet"
  STR_TOTAL_SCIENTISTS: "Brainers hired"
  STR_TOTAL_ENGINEERS: "Runts hired"
  STR_TOTAL_RESEARCH: "Discoveries Found"
  STR_DIARY_ACCURACY: "ACCURACY> {ALT}{0}%"
  STR_STATISTICS: "Statistics"
'

I've updated these to come in line with XPirateZ nomenclature.  Add the attached .rul set to your Commendations folder or your PirateZ folder.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 01:51:12 am by ivandogovich »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 02:34:34 am »
Yeah I intend on doing it... eventually, since it requires a lot of time. Any help, especially gfx, is welcome :) Draco's ideas are a good groundwork, but I might do some serious overhaul...

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 05:29:20 am »
Cool, well I'll pitch in then, where I can.  "Ribbons" are going to be the easiest first implementation.  Draco's stuff is quite varied, patches, brands, tattoos, etc.  Overall not easy to implement at the ribbon level but fairly easy with Larger 'pedia images.  I'll keep fooling with some graphic ideas for Tatts, and or jewels/gems.  I'll also try to work through the commendations and trim them back a bit.

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 06:52:20 am »
We could go all Banana Republic Generalissimo with the chest covered with way too many awards.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 06:30:28 pm »
So, I added a direct link from Diary to Ufopaedia.
Just click on a medal and a corresponding article will pop up.
Attached just to show which screen I'm talking about.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 07:06:06 pm »
So, I added a direct link from Diary to Ufopaedia.
Just click on a medal and a corresponding article will pop up.
Attached just to show which screen I'm talking about.

Perfect!!  I have been wishing for that functionality for a while!

Can you push that code over to the master branch? it would be useful in vanilla too. Just a thought.

Also, I'm combing through the current commendations with an eye to weed out the easy peasy ones and the ones that don't make sense for Piratez.  I'll figure out a way to post the list I come up with for feedback.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
[PirateZ] Commendations : Initial List
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 07:30:51 pm »
I intend to get a revised commendations mod out this week.  (This will only be ribbons, no new graphics and will use the prior Commendations Mod 'pedia entries)

I've worked through the medals with an eye to trimming out items that either: don't work well (ie. buggy), are vanilla specific, or may feel too cheesy or just redundant.

I'm going to list them here using Draco's Names:

Murderous Jolly Roger Patch (awarded for every 10 kills)
{0} Decimator Bitz (Awarded for every 10 kills of a given faction, i.e. Traders, Mercs, etc)
Swashbucklin' Sash (Awards for up to 10 successful hideout defenses.  If your gal was alive at the end, she gets the award, whether she did anything or not)
Fancy Rum Holster (Awarded for X number for missions, (I'd say every 10 (to 100) missions but maybe it should be ever 25 (to 250)?)
Salutary Eyepatch (Awarded for every 6 months of service)
Savvy {0} Bitz (Awarded for kills with a specific weapon (Every 10 kills)  e.g. "Savvy Pipe Bitz", "Savvy Gauss Musket Bitz", etc)
Pride of {0} Arm Bandana (Awarded for missions in a region (Every 10 mission, up to 30)
Angel of Torment Tattoo (Awarded for stunning captives.  (Every 10, up to 100)
Obsidian Earrings (Awarded for participation in a Night Pogrom, up to 10 pogroms)
Smelling Salts (Awarded every two times a soldier passes out, uo to 8 times for four levels of citation)
Firebrand Sash (Awarded for killing enemies with fire (every 5 up to 50 EKIA)
Beaded Septum Piercing (Awarded for capturing any of the targets that can be "Broken" (high ranking leaders of enemy factions))
Fancy Ancient Lighter (Awarded for killing 3 enemies at once with timed or proximity grenades.  Won't work for Black Powder bombs, etc, that are "fired," not thrown. 10 levels of award)
Comfortable Kevlar Corset (Awarded to gals who have been shot at 10 times by the enemy. 10 levels)
Snug Chainmaille Thong (Awarded to gals who have been hit 5 times by the enemy. 10 levels)
Cardinal Waist Scarf (Awarded if you have been hit by friendly fire (4 levels))
Howling Reaper Tattoo (Awarded to the Lone Survivor of any mission. Probably also to any gal who lands solo and simply aborts).
Spike Studded Gloves (Awarded to a gal who goes in alone and kills or eliminates all foes)
Bloodied Scope (Presented every 5 longrange hits.  Ensure how this is defined and if the medal works)
Barbed Earrings (Killing 2 enemies in one turn earns this double kill medal.  Awarded up to 4 times)
Grisly Catgirl Headband (Awarded for every 2 reaction fire kills, Up to 10 times)
Wooden Ring (A simple award (Purple Heart) for anyone that is wounded.  Awarded only once.)
Pearl Necklace (Time in Sick Bay Award: every 30 days up to 300)
Plastasteel Brooch (Awarded for ever X number of kills in a single mission. Current value is 7, but could be bumped higher.)
Mutant Alliance Tattoo (Great award for saving all mutants in a Pogrom. Awarded to any survivors of this mission)
Iron Tribe Funeral (Posthumous award for all gals that die in battle)
Vintage Lace Bra (Awarded to all gals participating in an assault on an enemy hideout)
Jewel-Encrusted Stockings (Awarded to those who single handedly kill all enemy in a single mission.)
Reaperhide Vambraces (Awarded to those who single handedly capture all enemies in a single mission.  Awards at (1, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 30))
Tentacle Vine Facepaint (Awarded to gals who participate in Night missions. One award for every 3 night missions)
Gold-Inlaid Garter Belt (Awarded to gals who kill every rank of the enemy forces (soldier to commander, etc))
Slave AI Enhanced Goggles (Awarded to gals who kill enemy with lots of different times of weapons: firearms, rockets, melee, grenades (timed), and proxie grenades (mines, etc).
Red Cross Auricle Piercing (Awarded to medics for healing 10 wounds, up to 100)
Berserker Bitz (Awarded to gals that died taking out an enemy i.e. suicide bombers, etc)
Crimson Lipstick (Awarded to medics for reviving fallen units, Awards at (1, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 30))
Tattered Wanted Poster (Awarded to gals that ended up missing in action)
Vintage Eurasian Rum (Posthumously Awarded to gals that dropped an enemy even after they fell in battle (ie. timed grenade))
Lavish Plumed Bandolier (Awarded to those who participated in a mission in every country on the globe)
Star God Skull Tattoo (Given to witches that use voodoo power to have the enemy kill each other,  Awards at (1, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 30))

Edit: Updated requirements making some harder. -ID -7/8/2016

Those that didn't make the cut:
Uber Pirate Band (Everyone gets one if they last one month)
Star God Blood Phylactery (Voodoo control of the enemy.  Too easy)
Reticulan Talisman (Voodoo panic of enemy.  Too easy)
21-Musket Salute (Supposed to be awarded to Best Soldier.  Buggy. Too hard to track. Best soldier now, at time of death? etc?  - Just don't like it)
Three Volley Salute (Similar to best soldier, but awarded to soldiers of each rank.  Don't like it)
Credit Chips Patch (Gain 10 bravery, get this award.  Too Easy, Cheesey)
Vibrating Medkit Bitz (Awarded to medics for using three resources from medikits, stims, painkiller, and healing.  Too cheesey)
Three-Horned Goat Tattoo (Designed for killing one of every vanilla Terror units.  Too vanilla)
Deluxe Aye-Phone (Awarded for participating in missions with every type of enemy shipping.  Better for vanilla, doubt is this is a good fit for Piratez)
Blood Hound Bone Necklace (Flankshot: Given for shots that hit the enemy's sides.  Too cheesey)
Suspicious-looking 'Pipe' (rearshot: Given for shots that hit the enemy's rear.  Too cheesey)
Crystaliskhide Firearm Grip (Headshot: Given for shots that hit the enemy's head.  Too random)
Plastasteel-woven Bodice (Given for killing a Sectopod.  Too Vanilla)
Arsonist Utility Belt (Given for killing Cyberdisc or Sectopod with timed explosives.  Too vanilla, too easy)
Carnosaurus Tooth Necklace (Given for proxie grenade kills.  Too vanilla)
Malformed Cowyote Paw (Given for "Lucky Shots" (very low probability to hit).  Buggy, cheesey)

Corsair Skull Tattoo (Supposed to be given for x number of missions against medium and larger craft.  Too Vanilla)
Belt of Mediocrity (Supposed to be awarded for killing a "soldier" of all the vanilla races.  Too Vanilla)
Piracy Brand (Supposed to be for the Original 8.  Buggy/not working)
Bejeweled Rings (Given for anyone gaining stats.  Way too easy)
Deluxe Aye Phone (Given for participating in missions with all UFOs.  Too vanilla, doesn't feel right for Piratez)
Boomasaurus Knapsack (Given for participating in every mission type.  Too vanilla)

Feel free to recommend others for removal, as well as any changes to names or requirements.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 11:28:11 pm by ivandogovich »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 09:48:13 am »
Selection looks fine, but we could use more creative-killing-related stuff. Where was that one awarded for killing an unspotted enemy by accident (or design, as with catgirls/SGs :) ).

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
[PirateZ] Commendations Mod 0.1 First Release
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 02:10:18 am »
Okay, I've done a lot of work and have the first Piratez Commendations mod ready. 

-I've broken up the ruleset to make it easier to work with. (names & descriptions, sprites, ufopedia, and award criteria).
-I've trimmed the awards down as note above. (All previous awards are commented out)
-I updated all the bootypedia entries to reflect the new names.
-I've revamped and standardized all the naming of the awards to reflect their purpose in the STR_MEDAL name : i.e. Career Kills, instead of Merit Cross, etc.
-I've commented in a brief description of what the medal is supposed to do in the criteria file.
-I've also included the Piratez friendly name in a comment on each Criteria entry to simplify cross referencing.

Overall, this should make it easier for others to mod this in the future, and/or take it and adapt it for their own mods, (Area 51, XCOM Files, XOPs, etc.)

Please use the Piratez Commendations.zip file in the first post.

A note about upgrading:  If you have used the Piratez Trophies mod, you will need to edit your save file to prevent crashes when the game tries to load an award that has been deprecated.  Search for "commendations:" and delete all commendation entries below it.  You will have to do this for every soldier, living or dead (I had 50 in my save).  The  next time the game exits a battle or the month changes, the all the awards will be calculated and issued.

Whats not done: 
- updated graphics
- alternates for ribbons
- any effort at making the list order make sense (in the bootypedia, and in the awards screens).

Please post bugs and comments, requests, ideas etc here.  (I know there are typos in the pedia, I'd love help finding them.)

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [PirateZ] Commendations Mod 0.1
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2016, 02:59:17 am »
Does earning commendations give your hands anything concrete? such as bonus stats, naturally limited by their actual capacity, or bonus notoriety for your group in general?

Incidentally, I'd put a huge bonus on missing in action one and the died stupidly/heroically ones, just because I'm apparently a troll.  8)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2016, 03:31:33 am »
Does earning commendations give your hands anything concrete? such as bonus stats, naturally limited by their actual capacity, or bonus notoriety for your group in general?

No, its only there for immersion and entertainment.  It can be used for fun player challenges like Requiring all the Gals from FireBase Alpha to earn their "Firebrand Sash" etc.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2016, 10:21:58 am »

Incidentally, I'd put a huge bonus on missing in action one and the died stupidly/heroically ones, just because I'm apparently a troll.  8)
In far future I plan add option for modify solders based on what commendations they get. I will be able affect everything where scripts are available.

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Steam: DracoGriffin
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2016, 01:11:16 am »
I basically just edited the whole Commendations list so naturally some were not meant to be but I tried to use as much in-game lore/reference as possible for that extra oomph.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2016, 10:37:31 pm »
Does anyone know a way to hide Commendation pedia articles, so they're only visible by clicking an award in soldier's Diary? You know, more achievement-like this way.

EDIT: my official stance on this is: I have my own commendations, but I will also supply this mod in the Piratez bundle - just make sure your mod deletes all my commendations criteria and pedia entries (they're all massed in homogenous blocks for ease). Also a question: I'm getting frequent crashes at mission's end. Are there any Commendations (besides "The original 8") which are hardcoded?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 05:54:51 pm by Dioxine »