aliens

Author Topic: Make Chryssalids Great Again  (Read 22946 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Make Chryssalids Great Again
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2016, 11:15:35 pm »
Reaction fire would not be a reliable way to stop a Chryssalid from assaulting a Pachy

In my opinion, if in your mod there is a reliable way to deal with Chryssalid assault, you're doing it wrong. ;)

I'd also like to see a mutant police force or civilians with weapons to defend themselves, but I think the engine limits this, I gave civilians weapons once and they don't use it, except for only reaction fire, which can hit your own troops just as easy.

This possibility is already in the nightly. When it trickles down to OXCE, we can have it too. Yay!

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2016, 11:54:55 pm »
In my opinion, if in your mod there is a reliable way to deal with Chryssalid assault, you're doing it wrong. ;)

Haha, hey, I want them to be terror inducing, not wholly unstoppable.

This possibility is already in the nightly. When it trickles down to OXCE, we can have it too. Yay!

Nice.

So far as Lids and terror missions go it'd be cool to have special terror missions which are just all Lids and Alpha Lids, maybe with a Beastmaster or two presiding over them.

But yeah, I'm totally down with a more aggressive AI for the Lids within balance of reason. The player should have an opportunity to deal with it outside of mining their dropship.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2016, 12:13:40 am »
Yeah aggression would help loads. The window where lids are a credible threat is comparatively smaller then vanilla. Even pogroms with lids are sorta meh because some of the civies are actually exceptionally sturdy. The real threat that made lids scary was the reproduction getting out of control because you where either caught unaware or failed to contain it in time.

The new xcom games have this problem too. The lids outside of the one all lid mission in 1 just fail to be scary. 2 kinda sidegraded them in that the adult lids are more difficult to handle between burrowing and reaction immunity but the newborns are no more then mild irritants. 

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2016, 12:53:56 am »
On a semi related note, are the scorpions supposed to be aggressive? seems like they only do reaction attacks.

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2016, 01:55:14 am »
Just a heads up - in Xenonauts their version of the Chryssalids do beeline it right towards the transport.  They are the easiest enemies to deal with because all you have to do is wait for them to come to you.

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2016, 02:06:47 am »
Just a heads up - in Xenonauts their version of the Chryssalids do beeline it right towards the transport.  They are the easiest enemies to deal with because all you have to do is wait for them to come to you.

It's not comparable for certain transports; again the Pachy is a good example; by the time you can see them (i.e. they open the door and in are in your face and can no longer be RFed) it's already too late. Like I'm talking T1-T2 rushes before you've left the transport.

Offline BetaSpectre

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2016, 02:19:59 am »
On a semi related note, are the scorpions supposed to be aggressive? seems like they only do reaction attacks.
They've hunted my entire crew once on the airbus xD!

Offline Star_Treasure

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2016, 04:24:46 am »

That's what makes them slightly less dangerous in EU2012. You either kill them on the turn they show up, or they get into melee range and kill all ur guys. Zombies are rare, and newborn lids are even rarer because they don't automatically spawn when a zombie dies. (That one change would make them much more dangerous in EU/EW)

That Newfoundland mission on the other hand. Long war makes that into a nightmare if you aren't specifically prepared with the right skills.

Offline Alucious

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2016, 01:08:52 am »
That's what makes them slightly less dangerous in EU2012. You either kill them on the turn they show up, or they get into melee range and kill all ur guys. Zombies are rare, and newborn lids are even rarer because they don't automatically spawn when a zombie dies. (That one change would make them much more dangerous in EU/EW)

That Newfoundland mission on the other hand. Long war makes that into a nightmare if you aren't specifically prepared with the right skills.

From my personal experience and watching several Long War streamers, the Newfoundland mission is extremely difficult the first time through, but becomes one of the safest missions for leveling troops on once you know how to play it.

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2016, 01:48:06 am »
From my personal experience and watching several Long War streamers, the Newfoundland mission is extremely difficult the first time through, but becomes one of the safest missions for leveling troops on once you know how to play it.

This.

Newlids are a joke.