Author Topic: [FINISHED] Let's play TFTD Ironman with a french guy  (Read 38659 times)

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Let's play TFTD Ironman with a french guy
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2017, 08:36:51 pm »
I'm so happy we're getting some experience! It's neat that I'm a psi-wizard and Yataka is a super gunner.

I have just one suggestion: could you maybe give Yataka a gauss rifle and then mind control a lobsterman for him to do point-blank target practice? He has a good starting accuracy but he'll need a bunch of training to become really super.

Also letting an unarmed tasoth soldier run amuck surrounded by a square of soldiers with dart guns makes good reactions practice.

Offline Boltgun

• Colonel
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
    • Piratez let's play
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2017, 09:06:35 pm »
I'm so happy we're getting some experience! It's neat that I'm a psi-wizard and Yataka is a super gunner.

I have just one suggestion: could you maybe give Yataka a gauss rifle and then mind control a lobsterman for him to do point-blank target practice? He has a good starting accuracy but he'll need a bunch of training to become really super.

Also letting an unarmed tasoth soldier run amuck surrounded by a square of soldiers with dart guns makes good reactions practice.

There will be some training while the wizards get their powers, I very rarely do such tactics so that should be interesting.

Offline Yataka Shimaoka

• Colonel
  • I'm the trouble maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2017, 03:09:16 am »
Wow! I'm a gunner? Nice! Give me the rapid firing weapons ASAP!! But for reaction training, its best to have a lobster walking around with no guns, with everyone using dart pistol, or maybe gauss one, since it makes no difference to the tough shell of the lobied

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2017, 09:56:00 pm »
Nah you don't want a lobster. You could do dart gun with tasoth, but a lobsterman unarmed can still kill you easily. In superhuman, a tasoth has 60 armor. With TFTD damage model, you could use a 40 power weapon and never deal any damage to it.

I wouldn't recommend a gauss pistol because they have an absolutely terrible snap shot. Dart pistol snap shot has quite low accuracy but also a low time unit cost. That's best for reactions training. Jet harpoon can work well for accuracy training if you shoot the tasoth or lobsterman with auto shots at point blank range. Or a gauss rifle works for either, and still kills them eventually, so you can just bring it to every mission until he gets better.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 10:11:53 pm by The Reaver of Darkness »

Offline Boltgun

• Colonel
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
    • Piratez let's play
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2017, 11:01:36 pm »
Well, I just recorded and lost almost all of you in a map dickery: the exit of artifact sites are one tile narrower than their room.

I need a drink.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 12:03:55 am by Boltgun »

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2017, 12:10:34 am »
Dang, that sucks. Well let's all get shitfaced and watch the fireworks!

Offline Boltgun

• Colonel
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
    • Piratez let's play
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2017, 11:35:51 pm »
Dang, that sucks. Well let's all get shitfaced and watch the fireworks!

And here's the disaster, enjoy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOWNWhw9hj8

I'll bring you and Sebastien Tellier back, but in compliance with ironman so that'll be done by renaming other psionic soldiers.

Here's a bonus, this is what happened right afterwards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al73skckPig
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 11:43:52 pm by Boltgun »

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2017, 12:21:20 am »
That sort of stuff is why I don't play on Ironman. I prefer Honorman, in which I only re-load to a previous save when I feel a loss was unfair. There used to be tons of reasons to do that in the original game, but OpenXcom has greatly reduced the terrain, AI, and other dickery. (I've heard recently we can thank Volutar for a good portion of that.) But even in OpenXcom there's reasons to re-load. I don't play Ironman on other games, either, because I can't trust the game designers to only kill me with my own mistakes.

I love that quad-barrel shotgun but I don't understand how he holds four of them at once and doesn't have to re-load them all. Also that life-draining blaster is really OP, you had over 3000 life at once point!

Offline Boltgun

• Colonel
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
    • Piratez let's play
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2017, 12:38:35 am »
Russian Overkill and OP are synonymous, there is no balance (or common sense) in this mod and that's why it's so good.

So I have a good and a bad news.
- The good news is that I am now on the golden path to finish the game. I attacked a colony and it went hilariously well.
- The bad news is that I don't think it can get any better, what we have right here is the campaign at peak performance.

Enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vikovvR3chQ

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2017, 08:07:43 am »
How is that bad news? I'm enjoying the beatdown! It is well deserved!

That mission with the 2 commanders was probably the most exciting mission in the series!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 11:48:37 am by The Reaver of Darkness »

Offline Boltgun

• Colonel
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
    • Piratez let's play
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2017, 09:21:17 pm »
How is that bad news? I'm enjoying the beatdown! It is well deserved!

That mission with the 2 commanders was probably the most exciting mission in the series!

Yes, that was the best mission so far. Not only in what I gained but also in pacing.

Offline Boltgun

• Colonel
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
    • Piratez let's play
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2017, 11:00:26 pm »
New video, nothing special. I set up a new team of rookies and research the first commander.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H39FwbI_VYY

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2017, 10:57:01 pm »
Me and Sebastien are having extra trouble with mind control when we're so far away from the targets. The range reduces the effectiveness of the psi attacks.

Offline Boltgun

• Colonel
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
    • Piratez let's play
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2018, 08:27:49 pm »
Back from vacation.

Me and Sebastien are having extra trouble with mind control when we're so far away from the targets. The range reduces the effectiveness of the psi attacks.

I did not knew that distance reduce the effectiveness. Are you using the UFO extended distance accuracy?

Anyway, I pushed the clock forward to allow completing research, I started the Leviathan but got a Tasoth base defense.
It was as fun as expected (aka. not fun).

- www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo7J78wzRTg

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2018, 02:00:31 am »
I did not knew that distance reduce the effectiveness. Are you using the UFO extended distance accuracy?
This was in vanilla TFTD.