aliens

Author Topic: weapon/equipment loadouts - user-defined "classes"  (Read 5545 times)

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
weapon/equipment loadouts - user-defined "classes"
« on: June 16, 2012, 12:18:22 pm »
is anybody working on the weapon/equipment assignment logic at the moment? because there's a few things that are different from the original (of course, since it's unfinished), and there's a few things that could be improved, but need to be carefully done, I think.

- spare clips: the original game sometimes failed to assign spare ammo to soldiers automatically. openxcom doesn't assign the spares at all so far. how do we want to do that?
- grenades: openxcom assigns grenades to the soldiers on a one-per-person(starting from #1)-basis. smoke grenades, however, are not assigned. manually assigning them before every mission is something that's really tiring if you shoot down a lot of small UFOs. how do we plan to do this?
- I think the usual routine for weapon assigning is that there's some kind of "priority list" of the weapons, and the first guys get the "best" weapons, and from there it goes down the list. right?
- special items always get assigned starting from #1, too: the first soldier has a Heavy Plasma, a Psi Amp in the backpack and a medkit on his belt (and can only move every second turn because he's hopelessly weighed down)

I guess saving "personal" equipment and weapons is too much for this game, but maybe a simplified system could be used where soldiers are "tagged" by the user as being a kind of "class", and weapons are assigned according to "class"?
I'm thinking in terms of
"heavy" - alway gets the big guns
"medic" - light weapons, med kit
"scout" - medium weapons, not too much equipment to stay lightweight
"grenadier" - lots of grenades

this could be done with a config file, so people could define their own personal loadout classes.

Offline DiceMaster

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: weapon/equipment loadouts - user-defined "classes"
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 04:00:35 pm »
I guess saving "personal" equipment and weapons is too much for this game
Why? I enjoy this feature in X-Com Utils.
Equipping like in X-Com Apoc is even better. Player should be able to set eqipment once and do not worry about it each time he begins a mission.

Offline snozy

• Squaddie
  • Mutons everywhere!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 04:13:05 pm »
Player should be able to set eqipment once and do not worry about it each time he begins a mission.

Can that be done? I hope so!!

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 04:15:50 pm »
I am pretty sure i read somewhere that was a planned function already.

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 06:07:21 pm »
yes, as far as I can remember, SupSuper mentioned equipment sets is something that is planned.

evidence: :p
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,195.0.html
and
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,12.0.html

Most XComUtil and UFOExtender enhancements will probably/eventually get in openxcom too.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 06:11:09 pm by Daiky »

Offline nullzero

• Sergeant
  • Linux gamer
    • View Profile
    • Social links
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 07:50:58 pm »
super!   ;D

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 08:05:10 pm »
wow, thanks for digging out those posts, Daiky... the second one seems very close to what I was thinking... shame on me for not remembering those threads (or digging them up again).

Offline Hobbit Lord

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 03:08:36 pm »
Hi

XComUtil from what I can remember had the ability to automatically rename your soldiers based on a combination of ability scores and other factors. That led to a 'class' prefix being added, which could then be used to change the soldier sorting so that eg Scouts would be listed first, heavy weapons the last

This then changed the order in which soldiers were placed in the skyranger

I was thinking about this and went through my ideas in the bug tracker thread, it's probably better to post them here.

If it is possible to create additional 'fields' to store information about soldiers that would probably be ideal, so we don't have to mess with soldier names

A customizable sorting system could then automatically order soldiers according to some rule either pre-defined or defined by the player

---
Bug tracker post:
hyphens clearly are allowed, i have soldiers still named SN-[name] HW-[name] and save loads

by the way this reminds me of a feature in xcomutil which would be nice to have (if not planned already), renaming soldiers based on their stats/abilities

i think another reason for renaming in xcomutil was the program's ability sort soldiers alphabetically. with a prefix that would sort soldiers by 'class'

with the new system there is probably a better way of doing this

i) could 'class' be stored in a separate field than the name field, and shown on the soldier profile?

ii) could we be able to sort/filter soldiers by these fields? and allow players to define sorting order?

eg when preparing for a mission you may want to have 'scouts' (high time units and reactions) placed at the front of the skyranger and 'heavy weapons' at the back

filter/sorting options:
-class - user-definable or based on presets
-rank
-experience (rookies/mission-tested)
-wounded/ready status
-armor equipped

class presets can work by looking at ability scores and equipment, example logics:

equipped a rifle last mission + high firing accuracy = SN
equipped with flares/grenades/motion sensor + high time unit/reactions = SC
equipped 'heavy weapons' (rocket, autocannon, laser cannon etc) + high strength, decent accuracy = HW
equipped a psi device last mission + has psionic ability = PSI