Author Topic: Finished in less than 2 hours  (Read 5835 times)

Offline Cooper

• Colonel
  • Chryssalids are awesome
    • View Profile
Finished in less than 2 hours
« on: June 22, 2016, 01:35:32 am »
I wanted to see how fast I could complete vanilla OXC, turned out 1 hour and 49 minutes was enough  :o (Beginner difficulty) Could have done it even faster if the stupid snakemen did not attack my base shortly before I went to mars. I also wasted some time researching and manufacturing armor, which was not actually needed.

Anyone else tried to do a superfast playtrough?  ;D

Offline Crazy Photon

• Squaddie
  • Resistance is NEVER Futile!
    • View Profile
Re: Finished in less than 2 hours
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 05:13:42 am »
There are several in the vanilla version of XCOM, for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wo71zOr5aU&list=PLEVoVtDLAKxkrTJAsKkrG4MPDVRfEhs5Y (1 hour, superhuman)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RxcCY6MCZY (9:20 mins, beginner)

As you may notice, randomness can really affect timings!

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 12:31:53 pm »
Well, this must be the one of a million game. I mean, the guy literally had luck with about everything that could matter for a speedrun. Where he landed at the first site, quite close to the UFO, aliens miss a lot, he does well. At the base the same thing: The position of the base near his own, the commander and leader damn close (hello? commander right next to him, just the right moment he needs it to be? not to mention one auto shot and the wall has a hole, I sometimes fired half a clip and nothing happened) and the aliens missing again, not pursuing or something. And then at Cydonia again starting right next to the elevator, starting right next to the brain, not being crushed by the Silacoid, not heavily mind-controlled by the three(!) Ethereals... In my personal opinion possible, but to good to be true.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 02:05:53 pm »
Well, this must be the one of a million game. I mean, the guy literally had luck with about everything that could matter for a speedrun. Where he landed at the first site, quite close to the UFO, aliens miss a lot, he does well. At the base the same thing: The position of the base near his own, the commander and leader damn close (hello? commander right next to him, just the right moment he needs it to be? not to mention one auto shot and the wall has a hole, I sometimes fired half a clip and nothing happened) and the aliens missing again, not pursuing or something. And then at Cydonia again starting right next to the elevator, starting right next to the brain, not being crushed by the Silacoid, not heavily mind-controlled by the three(!) Ethereals... In my personal opinion possible, but to good to be true.

If you're referring the the one below 10 minutes, I've seen it a couple months ago (I presume it's the same one) and it was played with very heavy save scumming. The player openly admitted to loading the game many times for each mission until an optimal configuration was found.

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 03:10:05 pm »
If you're referring the the one below 10 minutes, I've seen it a couple months ago (I presume it's the same one) and it was played with very heavy save scumming. The player openly admitted to loading the game many times for each mission until an optimal configuration was found.
Okay, that makes more sense now. I was going to say, it seemed too good to be true. Was still cool to watch though.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 03:13:15 pm »
The player openly admitted to loading the game many times for each mission until an optimal configuration was found.
I wouldn't have believed it any other way.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 05:10:11 pm »
I wouldn't have believed it any other way.

Yeah, but an open admission makes a difference. :)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 11:59:17 pm »
There's a challenge called: '1 mission XCOM', where you can only go in 1 ground assault mission where you need to get everything required for Cydonia.

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 12:47:09 am »
Awesome run Coop - I need to try this one of these days.

What always bothered me about the 9 minute run was that he does one landed UFO in February with a score of 142 and ends the month with a score of 293 with no research done.

Offline Cooper

• Colonel
  • Chryssalids are awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 01:15:07 am »
That 9 minute run was damn impressive, even if it was very heavy save scumming.

Next goal: finish in less than one hour without saving.