Author Topic: Refinery issue  (Read 5554 times)

Offline bluberd

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Refinery issue
« on: June 14, 2016, 02:04:48 pm »
Hi,

Any chance someone can help me with Refinery?
I Play since .98C and at some point I stopped being able to produce combat drugs which causes lack of Revenant armors.
I know that there is a new building called Refinery since 98E but I cannot build it nor research it.
I checked all requirements and it seems that I was never able to research advanced chemistry probably due to lack of toxigun. I am 2.5 years in the game but I have never met any ghoul, guild engineers never leaked any info about toxigun. I do not even know what toxigun is, I only have dart pistol, but it is probably different thing.
I have lasers, I produce ammo for them, I collected 3 cydonia codes already and I falsify chips for a living. But I have impression that due to very extensive reaserch this mod can give you some issues if you never stumbled over some key small item, which will hold you back for the rest of the game.
So now am I supposed to look for guild ships and hunt for a guild engineers in big numbers just to unlock Advanced Chemistry?
I did researched quite a few guild engineers, heck I even have 2 prospectors, but still not able to get Refinery and School Graduation, due to lack of Advanced Chemistry - I have Chem Grenades though.
This hit or miss thing is a real bugger, hope that next versions will solve the issue for the people not being able to progress in the game due to pure fact that they never stumbled over some rare item or person.

Regards,
P.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Refinery issue
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 02:14:09 pm »
You can get it from Guild Pest Control Manager and from Decrypted Data Discs as well.

If you're 2.5 years into the game, you must have tons of decrypted data discs... just research those.

If you're not patient enough, just modify your save to give you a Pogrom with Bandits next time and capture a few ghouls.

Offline bluberd

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 02:21:35 pm »
Not sure if I have ever met Guild Pest Control Manager, no idea what it is.
Decrypted data discs - researched tons of those.
Is toxigun called toxigun? Should it be in bootypedia in weapons?
Ghouls - I need one alive? Will do, just get me one.
Wonder how many other techs I am not able to get cause some stuff lacking. Academy Provost is definitely one thing I should fetch, but never seen one, on every academy mission I take 2 mind probes and examine every single opponent....
I would really like to be able to use plasma rifle, but right now only plasma pistol and carbine.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 02:29:29 pm by bluberd »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 02:28:24 pm »
Is toxigun called toxigun?
 Yes
Should it be in bootypedia in weapons?
 Yes
Ghouls - I need one alive?
 Yes
Will do, just get me one.
 Open your saved game in text editor, search for "type: STR_MUTANT_POGROM_DISTRESS" and then change the race to bandits, i.e. "race: STR_BANDIT"

Offline bluberd

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 02:38:18 pm »
I do not have any line with: STR_MUTANT_POGROM_DISTRESS

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 03:03:22 pm »
Well, you'll need to wait until one gets generated then.
Check your save at the beginning of every month... that's when the missions are generated.

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 03:13:03 pm »
Not sure if I have ever met Guild Pest Control Manager, no idea what it is.
Decrypted data discs - researched tons of those.
Is toxigun called toxigun? Should it be in bootypedia in weapons?
Ghouls - I need one alive? Will do, just get me one.
Wonder how many other techs I am not able to get cause some stuff lacking. Academy Provost is definitely one thing I should fetch, but never seen one, on every academy mission I take 2 mind probes and examine every single opponent....
I would really like to be able to use plasma rifle, but right now only plasma pistol and carbine.

No Academy Bases?

Ah well, I don't have Church bases.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 04:31:27 pm »
I do not have any line with: STR_MUTANT_POGROM_DISTRESS

You may have already researched the tech that stops Pogroms, then.  Go back to your early game saves, and try copying one into your save. That should help.

And yeah, it seems there are a few research bottle necks...

I got held up for a couple months waiting on more church dudes to get to Higher Studies.  I did make about 100 tanks to buy a church cardinal, but now I'm stuck waiting for the Star Gods to show up.  I know this can take years. :(  I'll probably edit in a Star God mission once I get closer to the Conqueror requirements.  I've just started fuel cell production.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 05:21:30 pm »
If we're talking about save hacking, why not just add STR_BANDIT_GHOUL to one of your research bases?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 05:49:33 pm »
If we're talking about save hacking, why not just add STR_BANDIT_GHOUL to one of your research bases?

One is cheating the ever unforgiving RNG, second is cheating the game.
Slight difference, but important at least for me.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 06:33:43 pm »
Concerning the toxigun issue, you need to spam Engineer interrogations to finish the game anyway (tip: always research Air Sailors first), so you'll get toxigun w/o cheating eventually.
Considering the SG Coordinator issue, it will be adressed in future versions.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 06:36:08 pm »
Even cheaters have (some) honor! ;)

I don't mind "cheating" to update my game to a new version of the mod, instead of doing all the new research that I would have had to do to get to the stage my game is at.

You can cheat/bypass the mission RNG to get the opportunity to capture an elusive VIP or tech, thinking that the RNG is the wrong mechanic to base the type of campaign that Piratez has become. Indeed, even Dioxine isn't using the original mission table anymore. It was good enough for vanilla where different races didn't really mean anything progression wise and tech was the same for all, but it doesn't work all that well for XPIratez. Doing this still presents you with the challenge of dealing with the mission, so you are getting out of the waiting (and all the other missions it would involve), but not of the actual challenge of capture: The tech is cheaper but not free. Of course, 2.5 years into the game, fighting bandits in a pogrom really isn't much of a challenge... And potentially the other race would have been more of a pain: you are potentially getting out of a harder (stargod?) pogrom.

You could also just paste the mission in, as Ivan suggested, so you are not "getting out" of anything but instead adding yet another thing to deal with.

Or cheat in the very item you are looking for, which at that point means you don't get it for cheaper, but for totally free. Some (most?) people would frown on that.

Although in this very case, I agree with you: it's very similar and just putting the item in changes little (I believe you can research the toxigun if you have one in store too?). It's a single player game so "cheating" only affects yourself. It all depends on what you like and dislike experiencing and we can all tweak it towards what we prefer. Presenting people with options to do it how they like is better.

Hopefully, Dioxine can use the mission scripts to create fail-safes for this kind of stuff. As an endgame mission, I think it would be cool to have a raid on a guild STC facility, where you pick up the datacore and gather knowledge of everything the guild produces, filling gaps you had in the early/mid game tree rapidly. Something like: a quick needitem research topic that gives you a preliminary analysis, which then tells you that a proper analysis (made available by the preliminary one) will take ~450 brainer-days (ie a month of a full lab) but give you knowledge of a lot of items.

Similarly, we could see other missions scripted which deploy more of the high level VIPs once the piratez progress further, as the important people/stargods step in to take matters in their own hands. Harder missions with VIPs and their bodyguards, but most people would rather take the challenge than the grind of easy shipping while hoping to see the target you need.

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 07:26:21 pm »
I for one ignore most of the unimportant shipping. I don't think provosts and their ilk even spawn in anything smaller than a cruiser or even a battleship, so I don't bother with most of them. Still do some, of course, but who cares if raiders raid and reticulans trade?