aliens

Author Topic: OpenXCom memory issue  (Read 2992 times)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
OpenXCom memory issue
« on: June 06, 2016, 08:04:05 pm »
Since I am using a large mod (XPiratez) I have noticed the impact of its size on my computer's tiny memory (1GB). It works alright when I first load the game, but if I go in the options and change which mods I enable, when the game restarts, it behaves as if keeping all the previously loaded mods and reloading all the enabled ones. With XPiratez, this means loading it twice, swamping my laptop's memory and forcing a bunch of stop into swap, slowing the computer to a crawl. To circumvent the issue, I am directly editing options.cfg to enable mods I want before starting the game, so I don't have to load twice.

Would it be possible to purge all mods from memory before reloading?

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: OpenXCom memory issue
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 08:20:53 pm »
I know it's only a matter of avoiding the issue, but if you have several different mods/campaigns in progress, it's much more comfortable to define several "user" directories (each one with settings and saves for a specific mod), and then you make shortcuts targetting each one : "openxcom.exe -user user_XOPs", "openxcom.exe -user user_longwar" etc.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: OpenXCom memory issue
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 07:22:10 am »
Oh yeah, I define user/data/config folders when launching the game, so the same executable behaves like 3-4 different games (UFO, TFTD, Piratez, other stuff I want to try). My issue is mainly when enabling/disabling mods for a given campaign. Having to do it in options.cfg instead of using the GUI isn't nearly as nice (but it does get the job done 300% faster! without slowing down the computer either)