Author Topic: Fun but unconventional strategies.  (Read 5475 times)

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Fun but unconventional strategies.
« on: June 04, 2016, 10:35:43 pm »
What strategies do you use when you just want to have fun with stupid loadouts?
My personal favorite is the full fire team of fire resistant armor with some firebombs incase they find a power armor wondering outside the ship.

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Fun but unconventional strategies.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 08:36:07 am »
Rocket launchers with large rockets for rookies.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 02:35:44 pm »
Going tribal all over a shipping - every gal in amazon outfit, spears, and stone axes.  Slightly more effective than swabbies with only flintlocks and handles.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 12:11:09 am »
You know, I'd have no opposition of a "suicide-bomber unit" (incidentally, I just wrote about one in another post), but calling it a Muslim superhero? that's rather low. They are merely the most recent/currently well known people using that tactic. Apparently, the first known one was a Russian.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 12:35:44 am »
No other groups that use that tactic given the timeline? Did you look at the wiki article? There are groups from all continents and both secular and religious ones from various religions in our current history.

As I have mentioned before, Muslims did not invent suicide bombing and the fact that they are the most prominent users right now should have little bearing on what happens 600 years in the future. For all we know, in the Piratez timeline, it is entirely possible that XCom and Earth resistance turned to suicide bombing with elerium explosives when they started losing the war.

The idea of using a human as the control system for a bomb or missile (plane) is not so farfetched as to be impossible to reach without inspiration from a specific group. Trying to pretend that you need to learn from the Muslims to come up with suicide bombing is at best misinformed.

Offline GarlandSP

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 02:32:36 am »
The discussion was offtopic, its better to remove the comments rather than spoil someone else thread with irrelevant issues and SJW ideas.

I already removed mine.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 02:52:43 am »
I won't comment about the lore, since that'd be OT, but IMO suicide bombing in XCom is a weak tactic. You gain little comparing to actually throwing the explosive, and you risk reaction fire. If you have a clear path of approach, melee works just as good (if not better), while allowing the unit to usually survive. While the appearance of completely disposable units like dogs (who are unable to throw) makes actually losing the unit a no-issue, I still think it's much overrated. Priming the explosive takes a ton of TU, and carrying primed explosives around creates a serious risk to your own troops.

Offline GarlandSP

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 03:02:09 am »
I won't comment about the lore, since that'd be OT, but IMO suicide bombing in XCom is a weak tactic. You gain little comparing to actually throwing the explosive, and you risk reaction fire. If you have a clear path of approach, melee works just as good (if not better), while allowing the unit to usually survive. While the appearance of completely disposable units like dogs (who are unable to throw) makes actually losing the unit a no-issue, I still think it's much overrated. Priming the explosive takes a ton of TU, and carrying primed explosives around creates a serious risk to your own troops.

Thats why i said it was irrelevant, it was just for the LULZ a joke, its always better to nuke the place with a rocket, i apologise the creator of the thread for spoiling it.

Offline Bloax

• Colonel
  • do you want to be any of those things
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 07:01:12 pm »
You know, I'd have no opposition of a "suicide-bomber unit" (incidentally, I just wrote about one in another post), but calling it a Muslim superhero? that's rather low.
it's a dank meme