aliens

Author Topic: [DONE] [Suggestion] Let me Clear my excess Skyranger inventory after equipping troops in base  (Read 7452 times)

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
If I can load up everything onto the Skyranger's inventory to equip my operatives in base, then after equipping my members, with all the extra items I don't need, I'd like to push a button to clear it back into the Base's inventory so I don't have to manually move it as I'm switching screens and painfully too! I'm trying to get to the good parts and fight! I do love micromanaging though, that's something we all here appreciate, but this helps a ton with easing our pains. At least mine.

If I did need a few extra items in the Skyranger, I can add them after I clear out everything. Tell me what you think. If you think I'm doing all this wrong. Please correct me and teach me how to play. I've been doing it this way for as long as I can remember. Even before the limitations.

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Yeah, I also find myself doing this tedious micromanaging. I could see how your suggestion to clear excess equipment would be a big time saver for some people.

It might not help me a ton though, because I like to bring a certain amount of excess equipment with me. So whether I use my current method of removing some extras until I don't have "too many extras" or do your suggestion of clearing all excess equipment and then add back in some extras manually, it's going to be a similar process either way.

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
Okay, I hope we can all get ideas going. I'm playing Area 51, where I don't have access to Laser rifles and I think that's the main reason nobody really thinks about this, because once you reach laser rifles, you don't need anything else. In Area 51, I'm dependent on Earth bound military weaponry, which consist of many classes for different occasions. I'm only speaking for myself here, I just want to have an easier time clearing out what I don't need after filling my men up. I can spend more and just fill up my Skyranger and then my base storage. Wasting money, but I guess I'm fine if I'm making money, but I do like being efficient though. I'm a perfectionist... My timely death.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
IMO, bringing no extra equipment is inefficient:
You can't re-equip differently when the terrain or opposition is not what you expected.
You can't rearm during mission
On mission end, if there's not enough ammo at base, the missing stuff is instantly removed from soldiers' equipment (instead of drawing from the spare ammo first). Your soldiers are immediately ill-equipped, and even after you buy supplies and wait for them to arrive, it will take you some time to check each soldier and re-equip "as before".

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
IMO, bringing no extra equipment is inefficient:
You can't re-equip differently when the terrain or opposition is not what you expected.
You can't rearm during mission
On mission end, if there's not enough ammo at base, the missing stuff is instantly removed from soldiers' equipment (instead of drawing from the spare ammo first). Your soldiers are immediately ill-equipped, and even after you buy supplies and wait for them to arrive, it will take you some time to check each soldier and re-equip "as before".

If my soldiers are full equipt, there is nothing left, which is excess.
I do not reequip during a mission. No need to, since i already have everything i need with me.
If your soldier are ill equipped, change the equipment.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
You fight in cities, forest, desert and bases all with the same loadout? I sure don't... busy cities break LoF, so melee and arcing weapons are better, forests are more open on ground level than above, so direct fire rules, deserts are wide open so melee sucks and bases are super cramped so melee and short range stuff works best. If your soldier can carry enough stuff that you never miss anything, then either: there are only few weapons to chose from (ex.: vanilla) or your soldiers are mules. In Piratez, I certainly need to adapt if I want the gals to be at their best. Even my preferred armor can change (more cover = less armor, more TUs/Stam).

Finding the right balance between not taking enough stuff and too much micro is an art!

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
You fight in cities, forest, desert and bases all with the same loadout? I sure don't... busy cities break LoF, so melee and arcing weapons are better, forests are more open on ground level than above, so direct fire rules, deserts are wide open so melee sucks and bases are super cramped so melee and short range stuff works best. If your soldier can carry enough stuff that you never miss anything, then either: there are only few weapons to chose from (ex.: vanilla) or your soldiers are mules. In Piratez, I certainly need to adapt if I want the gals to be at their best. Even my preferred armor can change (more cover = less armor, more TUs/Stam).

Finding the right balance between not taking enough stuff and too much micro is an art!
of course you fight in different terrains. I endorse a weaponmix which incoporates all weapontiers. So i am prepared for situations that arise, including melee. Usually only some 1 shot rl are laying on the floor. Sometimes they are needed to clear buildings near the landingzone

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
Okay, I'll practice what Arthanor said. Have lots of extra equipment in the skyranger, but I'll make sure to check my team's equip. before lifting off for missing items I need to order. Long before lift off.

Build enough storerooms for all the extra ammo and guns in case I lose anything.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
If you play with Meridian's executable (fully compatible with all the other stuff, plus a lot of REALLY good GUI improvements), you can redefine where the loot pile will be in a craft. That way you can move it away from the 1st soldier spawn into a more secure location :)

Offline TKO

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
You know, I was thinking about this thread, and the original suggestion of being able to clear the Sky-Ranger of excess inventory items isn't a bad one.

If someone wants to load up all his soldiers with as many grenades and flares as they can, the easiest way is to throw more into the Sky-Ranger than you need, go to the inventory and allocate them to your soldiers, and ..  there's no easy way to throw the un-allocated ones back, right?  If you mis-count when putting the assorted stuff back individually, you start taking things out of your soldiers pockets, and that's never good.

How about something like this:  A fake item at the bottom of the list you're transferring to the Sky-Ranger/Avenger called "Remove Excess Items" (see image), which just takes things that would be on the Sky-Rangers floor, and puts them back.  Then you can better keep track of what stocks you have, and share the truly precious spares around your other bases as appropriate.

Offline TKO

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
..another quick thought: maybe there should be a number to the right of the arrow (the number of items on the floor), which turns to zero after it's clicked and the items are removed from the Sky-Ranger.  Then there's some useful visual feedback when clicking on it.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Let me Clear my excess Skyranger inventory after equipping troops in base
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 07:06:42 pm »
If I can load up everything onto the Skyranger's inventory to equip my operatives in base, then after equipping my members, with all the extra items I don't need, I'd like to push a button to clear it back into the Base's inventory so I don't have to manually move it as I'm switching screens and painfully too! I'm trying to get to the good parts and fight! I do love micromanaging though, that's something we all here appreciate, but this helps a ton with easing our pains. At least mine.

This has been implemented in OXCE+ today, more info:  https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5120.msg76289.html#msg76289

Offline TKO

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
That is really cool Meridian.  Cheers for implementing that.

My next game is definitely going to be an OXCE+ game.  (Which probably won't be too far off .. I've almost got the Avenger research complete.)

Thanks!   8)