Author Topic: Imperial Probe: The Dark Ones  (Read 4594 times)

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
Imperial Probe: The Dark Ones
« on: June 10, 2016, 02:50:19 pm »
Just before running out of time to play last night, my hyperwave decoder picked up an Imperial probe on its way to a dark ones site.   I've read that interrogations lead to the Destruction school of VooDoo, but I've also read they're extremely difficult to stun.  Any suggestions for kitting out here?

Constraints on my equipment: I recently researched and manufactured smartrifles, commando rifles, and custom snipin' guns, my heaviest armor is the heavy tac armor, and I can bring a few bardiches if I really need the melee pain.  Unfortunately my VooDoo trained gals are out for a week or so more, but I can supplement my firepower with some looted gauss and laser weapons, plus a very healthy dose of chemical munitions.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Imperial Probe: The Dark Ones
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 03:27:12 pm »
They are not very tough, the guns and armor you have should be enough. Just pay attention to Imps, they shoot fireballs.

I stunned a couple of them using Cattle Prod (it took a few hits though).

Here's a very recent video if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6l9i2HQDiA

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 03:43:53 pm »
Ah, thanks.  I'm not up to date on the let's play yet.  Standard smoke/sniper tactics for the imps and maybe some plinking before stunning sound like the order of the day.  I'll have a report after I finish this presentation for work today.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 04:04:10 pm »
Meh with these kinds of weapons it'll be an overkill :) Dark Ones are designed to be beatable with early game weaponry, like scoped rifles, autoguns, mil. shotguns.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 04:22:10 pm »
Even better, an absolute slaughter should be nice for a change.  I was just concerned about their difficulty vis-a-vis resistance to stun damage, since I really want to get the VooDoo stuff out of them.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 06:44:51 pm »
If you fight close in, you can usually find a few that drop stunned from damage. I don't typically try to stun them, just try to stabilize those that fall because of damage. Things that have +% stun (like pipes) are good for that.

Offline lusciouspear

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 11:24:12 pm »
The only way I could reliably stun them was Power Maces. Those things are amazing.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 06:46:09 am »
Blowpipes worked well for me, weren't overkill like strong girls + pipes.  Those and wands of airlessness after softening up by well-placed HE grenades.

Also witnessed by first goomba stomp this mission, as well as some wonderful BS in corners blocking reaction shots asymmetrically.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 01:10:01 am by ohartenstein23 »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 01:12:33 am »
Got another one - the wands seem to stun all the possessed units in 2-3 hits reliably with high VooDoo power gals.  I used copious smoke cover too, it kept them on the ground for the most part.