Author Topic: Click to reorder on "Not able to re-equip" screen  (Read 3623 times)

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
Click to reorder on "Not able to re-equip" screen
« on: May 31, 2016, 08:00:45 am »
So I see I need to memorize all this stuff I'm missing after a fight and I think it's because my operatives that died dropped what they had and Warboy forgot to program the clean-up crew to pick the stuff up. After all, I took the time to buy it!

So maybe it can be fixed or at least make it easy for me to click on each item I would like to reorder. When I go to the purchase market, It doesn't tell me what I have, because I like to load up my Skyranger to the full and I know it hurts me if I fail a mission, but I don't have an easier way to make sure my men have everything they need when I'm equiping them. I guess I can subtract from the Skyranger after I equip my men in-base, well see, I gotta try it later.

Hopefully you guys understand. Thanks!

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Click to reorder on "Not able to re-equip" screen
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 10:34:29 am »
Stuff from dead operatives is correctly recovered after the mission... unless it's destroyed by explosions.

As for the requested reorder functionality, it only creates questions and problems:
1. what if you don't have enough storage space?
2. what if you don't have enough money?
3. what if you can't buy it, but need to manufacture it?
4. what if you need to manufacture, but don't have enough money?
5. what if you need to manufacture, but don't have enough manufacturing space?
6. what if you need to manufacture, but don't have enough special resources?
7. what if you cannot buy or manufacture it at all (e.g. can only use scavenged stuff)?
8. With OXCE, there would be even more questions about various pre-requisites...

Pro tip:
...buy and manufacture ammo and other consumable stuff periodically so that you always have enough for at least 2-3 missions. If you play well, you should never see a screen telling you you've run out of ammo...

Pro tip 2:
... don't EVER put everything on the craft... because you will always get the message (and can potentially lose a lot of stuff in an explosion)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 10:36:15 am by Meridian »

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 12:37:41 pm »
Although not entirely what you ask, the attached screenshots of some experimental work could help with the following part of your quote:
When I go to the purchase market, It doesn't tell me what I have, because I like to load up my Skyranger to the full and I know it hurts me if I fail a mission, but I don't have an easier way to make sure my men have everything they need when I'm equiping them. I guess I can subtract from the Skyranger after I equip my men in-base, well see, I gotta try it later.

In those shots items are considered "on base" from the moment you have purchased them. Everything between parentheses is requested by some lower level (purchase screen = on craft or assigned to labs/workshop/sickbay, craftequipment screen = requested by soldiers/vehicles) , the number before that is what is not in use yet, when negative more is requested than actual available (could only happen in craftequipment)

If you are interested, i can look into possibilities of making it available  (but please keep in mind that the current implementation is unlikely to get into standard as is .. it deviates to much from vanilla).

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 03:40:19 pm »
I have a system where if I take, say, 3 rifles, then I know I need at most 2 clips per rifles, so 6 clips, plus one as a reminder. The first time I get the "not enough equipment" message, the 7th clip is missing, which is not so bad. If I forget to buy it, then after the next mission I get the real warning that my men are missing equipment. This way, you at least get two warnings before going on a mission without enough.

What I would like is a way to access the warning again. Sometimes, the list is long and remembering what is on it can be tricky. Having a "missing since last deployment" button somewhere on the craft window would be great.

Also.. that's ballsy, blaming warboy for your mistakes! ;)

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 05:09:04 pm »
I just take a screenshot of the post-mission equipment screen and then can look at it when back in base buying/manufacturing things.

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 11:53:18 pm »
Heh, Warboy's phone is setup to give him notifications when his name pops up in a post. So I'd be careful. He knows I'm playing with him though.

I like the idea to take a screenshot. Thanks everyone for the advice. I read everyone's posts so I can figure out an easier way to do this. I see how great ideas are implemented by the team, like for example, I love that we're able to see all stats in the operative equip screen. Just need to let me change names as I'm specializing them, which I'll suggest in a new topic later.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 04:05:58 am »
Hm.. this is indeed a intriging topic.

But it rarely happens that i run into having to less equipment for my troops.
Usuallly i have one central large storage which holds and buys and sells all the stuff.

Combat Team bases then only hold a specific stack of items, which always gets restocked after each mission (would be nice to make this automatic!!) from the central storage.

Most common article these days from earth's weapon manufacturers - Smoke Grenades.