Author Topic: alternative UFO interception mini-games  (Read 7630 times)

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
alternative UFO interception mini-games
« on: June 06, 2012, 03:13:11 pm »
just an idea that crossed my mind when thinking about the UFO interception: I really like the way Xenonauts deals with intercepting UFOs, adding a whole new level of strategic combat. it's far from perfect, but cool. it actually gives you more control over what's happening.

maybe several methods could be implemented?

- xenonauts-style strategic air combat
- chess-like turn-based combat?  :D
- Galaga-style minigame  ;D

what do you think? what kind of air-combat would you like to see?

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: alternative UFO interception mini-games
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 04:30:08 pm »
It seems no one is jumping up and down in excitement about this :)

I think it fits the xenonauts game, it's sometimes just on the edge of not being annoying and sometimes it's a bit of fun. But I'm not sure it fits openxcom and I don't think we want to start copying xenonauts ideas. And inventing a whole new game inside a game is a real challenge. But if there are developers out there that want to give it a try; they are always welcome of course.

There are other interesting ways to add an extra layer of strategy in the UFO interception. One way I might like is to give interceptors/pilots some kind of experience points and a leveling system like soldiers and let you give them names. Then you add in certain management descisions, for example which fighters to scramble or when to retreat. But the battle strategy itself is left to the pilots.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 11:58:28 am »
experience levels for fighters or pilots would be nice. I wonder, though... I guess it would be quite easy to implement experience levels for the aircraft themselves, but if you start to add pilots, you need all those extra things like a pilot assignment screen for the aircraft - that's quite a lot of extra work.

perhaps an easier way, although a little bit weird at first, would be to really let the soldiers be the pilots for xcom's aircraft? you would simply add "piloting" as an additional soldier stat.

for the skyranger/lightning/avenger, the soldier with the highest piloting skill would be taken as "pilot" - that would also explain nicely why we lose the transport craft when the ground team fails.
for the interceptors/firestorm, you would simply set their crew capacity to "1", and you have to assign a soldier if you want to use the aircraft.

if you want to balance this in terms of soldier capacity, you could always increase the skyranger/lightning/avenger crew capacity by 1, and also have the hangar increase your base's living space by 1, too.

it would add an interesting twist: in a ground mission, you have to decide if you want to bring that one extra soldier into the battle or have him stay behind to fly the expensive aircraft out of there in case the mission fails. since the interceptors and firestorm are supposedly VTOL, you might even consider taking on a crashed small scout battlescape mission with the pilot... a high-risk mission, but if your other team is not available, you might try...

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 01:07:18 pm »
and if you're really brave you could land with your interceptor and have your pilot clean up a crash site on his own :p

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 01:16:00 pm »
exactly! do it rambo-style!  8)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 01:26:49 pm »
and if you're really brave you could land with your interceptor and have your pilot clean up a crash site on his own :p

as long as he gets extra experience from going in rambo style i am cool with it 8)

I can see special upgradeable Skills being added to units stats , Pilot , marksman , explosive expert, cannon fodder etc
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 01:29:36 pm by luke83 »

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 01:55:14 pm »
as long as he gets extra experience from going in rambo style i am cool with it 8)

he does get all the kills. that should be experience enough to "level up" quickly :)

should we make a special sprite with a red bandana for the rambo style pilots?

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 04:43:20 pm »
A nice idea might be something like Steambirds. I was working on a game that used a similar engine.

Offline Amunak

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • My homepage (czech only)
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 05:48:45 pm »
That's actually what I sometimes did with xcomutils when tiny ufo landed.

About the rambo style - once it happened to me that all my soldiers left the base to fight somewhere and the base was attacked in the meantime. There were only two soldiers (because they were wounded). They had even no weapons - there were just some grenades left in the base. It was tough but you know what? I won :D
And that's a rambo style :)