aliens

Author Topic: Piratez Difficulty Curve  (Read 26319 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: Piratez Difficulty Curve
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2016, 03:05:25 pm »
d/w I can make it indestructible. But maybe a weapon is a better idea. Idk yet.

Offline dftruf

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2021, 02:58:22 am »
I think that over 89% of experienced players quit very early from this mod because there is no controlling time pressure in-game skills or in-game knowledge. Even when You don't research !some_special_res! still there is too much linear and too much scripted rigid time pressure in this mod.
I think that roguelike players know what I mean very clearly.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 04:27:24 pm by dftruf »

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2021, 05:04:49 pm »
Until M1, I did not feel the time pressure at all. In fact, it would be quite easy to lollygag until close to Year 3 on any difficulty not Jack Sparrow.

Since M1, things changed a lot. Now it is way more difficult to lollygag, and there is only one way of dealing with the pressure, getting a goal and sticking to it. Unfortunately, for people not in the know what is, or is not a goal, they might suffer from unfocused playstyle that will ultimately grind their campaign to a halt no later than 9 months in.

That said, experienced players tend to know this stuff. And in any case, avoiding !stuff! Is basically the WORST thing you can do, so much so I'd consider it a newbie trap, not an experienced player rigid time control method or whatever.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 05:07:03 pm by Iazo »

Offline dftruf

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2021, 10:31:40 pm »
Thank You for reply  :)
In my opinion this mod has huge potential to be more elastic with regard to time pressure, through proper knowledge and skills which can be obtained in the game, without spoilers, faqs, hidden knowledge from the deep internet.

When I've said "experienced players" I meant players experienced by general gaming (not only computer games). In my opinion those players have tendency to lessening time pressure by any means (but still in the game's world) when they feel that they must obtain more understanding, just to have more fun, without chasing technical stuff buried somewhere outside in the author's secret garden.

Until M1, I did not feel the time pressure at all. In fact, it would be quite easy to lollygag until close to Year 3 on any difficulty not Jack Sparrow.

Since M1, things changed a lot. Now it is way more difficult to lollygag, and there is only one way of dealing with the pressure, getting a goal and sticking to it. Unfortunately, for people not in the know what is, or is not a goal, they might suffer from unfocused playstyle that will ultimately grind their campaign to a halt no later than 9 months in.

That said, experienced players tend to know this stuff. And in any case, avoiding !stuff! Is basically the WORST thing you can do, so much so I'd consider it a newbie trap, not an experienced player rigid time control method or whatever.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 11:56:07 pm by dftruf »

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2021, 12:49:01 pm »
When I've said "experienced players" I meant players experienced by general gaming (not only computer games). In my opinion those players have tendency to lessening time pressure by any means (but still in the game's world) when they feel that they must obtain more understanding, just to have more fun, without chasing technical stuff buried somewhere outside in the author's secret garden.

This is true, and Xpiratez subverts this expected trope quite heavily in the sense that lollygagging and avoiding progress hurts only yourself, it has a limited impact on world escalation. Moreover, advancing and opening up new oportunities DOES NOT close up old oportunities.

This problem is very reocurring, and we're having discussions constantly on how to make the player forget other gaming tropes.

Offline dftruf

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2021, 05:40:14 pm »
Do You know how many files have to be modified to rescript time pressure in this mod?
Those scripts are compiled or in plain text?

This problem is very reocurring, and we're having discussions constantly on how to make the player forget other gaming tropes.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2021, 05:46:48 am »
All the mod rules are in plain txt files. if you want to mess around with the time pressure aspect you will want to look at the missions.rul, and the tech spaghetti in the piratez. Good luck with your endeavor, the tech part is a massive monster.

Warning as always if you start messing about with mod on your own you may end up on your own when something breaks.

Offline dftruf

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2021, 01:09:55 pm »
Thanks for info.

Maybe I shouldn't modify those files because using spoilers and using save scumming is part of the game in this mod?

Offline JustTheDude/CABSHEP

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2021, 05:39:01 pm »
Thanks for info.

Maybe I shouldn't modify those files because using spoilers and using save scumming is part of the game in this mod?

Just "rush" base defences, better interceptors and tanks and you are pretty much golden. Only Star Gods and Mercenaries can give you a problem when they arrive if you achieve this.

No more spoilers and definatelly no save scumming required. 

Offline dftruf

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2021, 12:26:57 am »
Just "rush" base defences, better interceptors and tanks and you are pretty much golden. Only Star Gods and Mercenaries can give you a problem when they arrive if you achieve this.

No more spoilers and definatelly no save scumming required.

So there is just one linear way to finish the game?

Is there any open-ended way or option?

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2021, 05:29:27 am »
Additional routes are planned, and in one case partially finished but just the vanilla go to cydonia explode brain option is complete right now