aliens

Author Topic: Star-Gods in tactical...  (Read 10787 times)

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Star-Gods in tactical...
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2016, 06:37:19 pm »
I wonder how a base defense against a variety of star gods.(maybe even a top wanted or 2)

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2016, 09:48:07 pm »
Me too.
I just had another fighter/star-god mission and despite a lot of months of improvement and better equipment the result was the same, get in, stun/kill grab one and leave. I simply can not do more without losing girls.

I could build several new armor types but lack the resources to do so, the world is doomed because of a lack of lingerie...  :o

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2016, 10:11:20 pm »
By the time you face star gods (and especially if you expect them to come after you), you should have a fair few explosives of impressive power. Get to those hangars, chuck the explosives, enjoy Star God crispy bits. Star gods and MC capable enemies are one of the main reason I favour aggressive hideout defenses.

Only in the first turn do you have the advantage of knowing where your enemy is, and to have them all grouped. You should make use of it! Otherwise, they are coming to you on their terms, which for Star Gods, would be pretty bad.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2016, 10:52:12 pm »
I have had stargod hideout defenses(12-15 now) range from laughably easy to insane hard. It all depends what turns up. If it is mostly waspites and cyclopes its pretty easy. Mosty greyrobes your 2000% screwed.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2016, 11:13:50 pm »
So (repeatedly) nuking your hangars isn't enough? I guess if they do manage to spill, tracking invisible units all over the map would be a pain.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2016, 12:25:21 am »
If you have a lift only situation its manageable. But if you have a lift and hangers there are just to many places for invis dudes to slip out and come turn 20 your humped because of the ai getting perma vision. Also hangers in this mod have the extra upper catwalk that isn't reliably hit by ground level explosives due to square blast wave calculations. A square 2 up and one over form a blast is actually 5+ squares away with commensurate drop in damage.   

Offline Thryllth

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2016, 02:15:26 am »
I loathe fighting star gods, I have gotten 2 smugglers with public enemy on board and one pogrom.  I got insanely lucky all 3 times, for both smuggler ships I had a gal who was hurt but not killed by the initial force sword slicing and was able to get enough other hands in place to box them the next turn after everyone burned tu getting their cattle prods some use.  For the pogrom I honestly got the best possible terrain/spawn points.  I landed top of the map and it was a railroad mission which meant that I was able to break los if I spotted one.  Between that and getting lucky where most of them were at the facing where I could hit them with my sniper/bow nest on top of the Bonny I only had trouble with the last grey robe because he was playing hide and go mc people and spent a couple turns negotiating hover suit gals into position to take him out since ground troops were not able to get enough cover to advance and I was out of smoke.  All three fights resulted in no deaths through some miracle of RNG combined with absolute paranoia about keeping smoke cover up as I advanced in the pogrom but I had several gals spending four months on sick leave after the smugglers and out of a full crew of 18 less than 10 were able to go back out in less than a week following the pogrom.