aliens

Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1949895 times)

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.8.6 alpha: Night of The Lobsters
« Reply #1665 on: March 03, 2018, 12:02:21 am »
I think so, the exalt mansion is an absolute MESS of flanks, with many gunners, unpredictable fighting (for xcom mind you) and other issues. 8 troops is really pushing it for if its possible, but a bigger craft would work, but honestly i need promotion 3 for a skyranger and such.

Its a nasty conflict also, between staying together and staying alone. Staying alone means you get slaughtered by flanks, staying together means that you get slaughtered by a 70 bravery guy using a light minigun against his own buddies as other people flank and kill you.

Also understand, the risk of psionics in longer battles is exponentially worse, since there's around 100 security personnel, who are all trying to kill you while you are bombarded almost every turrn with psi attacks. Pure rng will screw you in the end at that rate.

Its not as bad as trying the magma lab with a dragonfly, but it seems a little rough. Honestly i wouldn't mind swapping a few guards for guard dogs too.

By the way, what do you research to unlock the heavy cannon? I did magma lab with the large 14 unit crafted, bringing back a live zombie trooper, and never got anything back from magma corporation, did i miss, or perhaps blow up, something important?

Offline yizow

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: March 03, 2018, 03:51:01 am »
You can check research requirements from the geoscape by pressing 'q'. This will bring up a research menu.
Press 'q' again, type in 'heavy cannon', press enter, and then you can click the entry and check what requirements you're missing.

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: March 03, 2018, 03:16:14 pm »
Sure. Pickup, Hummer, Skyranger... :P

I know about the later choices, but I was thinking if there would be a "van equivalent" of private airlines, but it seems it already exists by now with the Hummer and similar stuff, I meant to say that with the "*" from my previous post but I forgot to add my explanation.

Anyway, if you do use HK UFOs, hopefully they won't appear until after the cults are dealt with.

Random question: Will the Jeep/Hummer be usable in air-combat at some point? Regardless of whether it's a good choice or not, just to know.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1668 on: March 04, 2018, 10:03:15 am »
The Humvee is as useable for air combat as any other vehicle, as long as you can catch up. :)

Offline Human Ktulu

• Colonel
  • Cuistre !
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: March 04, 2018, 11:40:31 pm »
Hey Solarius !

It been long time I was dont play with Open Xcom. I just trow little eye on news and *booom* I found this superb project.
I love the idea that we run over strange events with only two agents like Mulder and Scully !

On the other hand, the idea of using a hangar to buy a plane ticket is a bit of strange, but I assume that it is a technical limitation.
Good luck for the future and for your patreon funding !

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: March 09, 2018, 10:53:52 am »
Sorry for the late response, Human Cthulhu!
Just wanted to say thanks, and that without your initiative, neither FMP nor XCF would happen. Or at least not so early.

Offline BlackStaff

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: March 11, 2018, 03:25:30 pm »
I'm a very old UFO and TFTD player.
Recently I discovered OpenXcom. That's beautiful.
And now I discover OXCE+ and XFiles.
Unbelievable! Congratulations on your work! Bravo, bravo, bravo, bravo! And thank you!  :)  :)  :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: March 11, 2018, 06:20:47 pm »
I'm a very old UFO and TFTD player.
Recently I discovered OpenXcom. That's beautiful.
And now I discover OXCE+ and XFiles.
Unbelievable! Congratulations on your work! Bravo, bravo, bravo, bravo! And thank you!  :)  :)  :)

Wow, thanks man. :)

And to give you all an update: I'm currently working on stuff related to the final stages zombie arc, namely the "mummyland" - kingdoms of the greatest zombie masters. The terrain will take the longest, as I need to make some nice underground ruins settlements, as well as the units themselves - then missions, etc. Shouldn't take too long.

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: March 12, 2018, 12:56:54 am »
Yay, we're going to get the end of that arc! Although, from what you're telling, in X-Files a zombie's evolution path is:

Zombie>Fat Zombie>Infector Zombie>Tomb Guard/Ghoul>Zombie Knight>Zombie Queen>Mummy??

The last one seems a downgrade. Hopefully they're vulnerable to whip attacks, or, failing that, fire. ;)

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: March 12, 2018, 11:10:37 pm »
They guilt you into surrendering.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: March 13, 2018, 02:49:42 pm »
Zombie>Fat Zombie>Infector Zombie>Tomb Guard/Ghoul>Zombie Knight>Zombie Queen>Mummy??

I belive ghouls are created by deliberately starving regular zombies so they don’t undergo metamorphosis into fat zombie. Just like giant zombies are made by overfeeding fat zombie while medicating it in a way that prevents metamorphosis into an infector.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: March 13, 2018, 08:30:51 pm »
Yeah, but it's still pretty close: zombie -> fat zombie -> infector -> tomb guard/strix -> vampires (multiple types) -> mummy. Ghouls are a side branch, and zombie troopers and megazombies are artificially made.

The last one seems a downgrade.

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: March 13, 2018, 10:18:17 pm »
I'd hesitate to call that a typical definition of a mummy, but I suppose that would make sense considering the xcom lore. Though if this is the case, maybe zombies would be involved with cult of Dagon? I mean, its a different thing kinda, but dagon works with pyramids, which are typically Egyptian and so are mummies, so maybe these tombs of zombies can actually be researched from dagon people? Would make slightly more sense than suddenly finding tombs because reasons, with no mentioned tracking as far as I'm aware, and I could see a partnership between fish people cults and zombie groups, at least in terms of the ones with higher sentience. So maybe representatives of dagon and mummies could work together...?

By the way, are you going to add inventory items that alter stats like piratez does? This might be a good way to flesh out advanced medicine, perhaps with drugs patches to raise stats in expense of others. Maybe a stimulant to raise reactions and stun regen, at the cost of aim and bravery, a steroid patch to raise strength energy and melee, at cost of health, and a mild relaxer, raising bravery and aim, at the cost of reactions and energy. Just a little thought, this was added a little while ago but you haven't added anything that utilized this ability.

Edit : so apparently getting alien origins is almost impossible till 1999 with the recent ufo changes, where up till the invasion there's no ufos. This means for 6 months I'm effectively sitting around doing research, as many things are lmpossible to get until i get an alien corpse.

I'm not really against lacking ufos, but maybe we could make a mission branch involving hybrids and a sectoid, after researching the alien communicator? This would be more reasonable, i think, than waiting for several months, and would be a nice transition into fighting aliens, having a compound with heavily armed hybrids and maybe a couple posted sectoids, and other stuff.

Besides, seeing how the invasion is planned, but alien operations still happen on earth, it would make sense to have sleeper cells of low level aliens somewhere on earth, managing the hybrids, processing data, and being in charge of operations on the ground. Besides, it might be an interesting opportunity to expand hybrid lore, perhaps something about people being abducted and relentlessly genetically modified till they are hybrids. And it would make sense the network on the ground of hybrids, and the aliens in charge of them, being in charge of the tops of the cults, as they have more direct Intel to the earth and its events than an ethereal across the solar system.

I think maybe it could happen after researching the communicator and terminating a cult, that you get missions which are pretty much just call locations from alien's frantically trying to get in contact with the defunct cult to repair damages done, unaware that xcom has cracked their systems, then invading the compound.

Sorry for such a large suggestion, but I think this change would be a great transition to hybrids and aliens. Also, ufos are incredibly infrequently and hard to catch anyways with promotion 2 gear, assuming they do come early  so i feel this would make overcoming that hump more reasonable, even if a compound raid was difficult.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 11:07:06 am by mumble »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: March 14, 2018, 04:39:33 pm »
I'd hesitate to call that a typical definition of a mummy, but I suppose that would make sense considering the xcom lore.

This is exactly how mummies were often portrayed a hundred years ago, though. The shambling undead in bandages archetype came later.

Though if this is the case, maybe zombies would be involved with cult of Dagon? I mean, its a different thing kinda, but dagon works with pyramids, which are typically Egyptian and so are mummies, so maybe these tombs of zombies can actually be researched from dagon people? Would make slightly more sense than suddenly finding tombs because reasons, with no mentioned tracking as far as I'm aware, and I could see a partnership between fish people cults and zombie groups, at least in terms of the ones with higher sentience. So maybe representatives of dagon and mummies could work together...?

You know who else has pyramids? Cydonians. And what shape are Dimension X gates in Apocalypse? They're pyramids.
Let's associate everything with everything. Though it's an interesting concept as a false lead. ;)

By the way, are you going to add inventory items that alter stats like piratez does? This might be a good way to flesh out advanced medicine, perhaps with drugs patches to raise stats in expense of others. Maybe a stimulant to raise reactions and stun regen, at the cost of aim and bravery, a steroid patch to raise strength energy and melee, at cost of health, and a mild relaxer, raising bravery and aim, at the cost of reactions and energy. Just a little thought, this was added a little while ago but you haven't added anything that utilized this ability.

Maaaaaaybe. I mean, some of the things you mentioned are certainly impossible (strength bonus? eh?), while other seem superfluous in X-Com Files.

Edit : so apparently getting alien origins is almost impossible till 1999 with the recent ufo changes, where up till the invasion there's no ufos. This means for 6 months I'm effectively sitting around doing research, as many things are lmpossible to get until i get an alien corpse.

As I said before, I will probably set some alternatives, like T'leth. But you need something, this is as designed.

I'm not really against lacking ufos, but maybe we could make a mission branch involving hybrids and a sectoid, after researching the alien communicator? This would be more reasonable, i think, than waiting for several months, and would be a nice transition into fighting aliens, having a compound with heavily armed hybrids and maybe a couple posted sectoids, and other stuff.

Sorry, more reasonable to what? What is the idea behind this suggestion? I can't see any problems now.

Besides, seeing how the invasion is planned, but alien operations still happen on earth, it would make sense to have sleeper cells of low level aliens somewhere on earth, managing the hybrids, processing data, and being in charge of operations on the ground. Besides, it might be an interesting opportunity to expand hybrid lore, perhaps something about people being abducted and relentlessly genetically modified till they are hybrids. And it would make sense the network on the ground of hybrids, and the aliens in charge of them, being in charge of the tops of the cults, as they have more direct Intel to the earth and its events than an ethereal across the solar system.

Hybrids lore will be expanded.

Offline wolfreal

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: March 14, 2018, 09:48:49 pm »
Hello.

I want to play the mod again but I can not find the recommended options to play it. Can we have a post it about them?