Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1951281 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.8.5 alpha: Metal Machines
« Reply #1650 on: February 14, 2018, 12:22:22 am »
Version 0.8.5 has been uploaded.

- Integrated Otto Hartenstein's AI units mod (tanks as a soldier type, not HWPs); also added Gunship chassis (by Otto).
- New missions: Bank Robbery (Assassin Clans), Chupacabras Lab, Tower of Desolation.
- New X-Com Slander missions, happening when starting cults are left unchecked despite having the means to shut them down.
- Snakemen are now a bit stealthy.
- Mutons are noticeably faster.
- Slow reload on Tommygun.
- Osprey no longer crashes Crop Circle missions (thanks, Otto).
- Fixed crashing on base defense.
- Fixed crashing on HWP/Gauss ufopaedia page.
- Fixed Boomeroid waypoints.
- Minor bug fixes.
- Minor language fixes.

WARNING: BEFORE UPGRADING, SELL ALL YOUR TANKS.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 12:24:25 am by Solarius Scorch »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: February 14, 2018, 12:30:21 am »
WARNING: BEFORE UPGRADING, SELL ALL YOUR TANKS.

I recommend also selling most of your HWP ammo, since they will become full clips instead of single shots and take 8-60 times more storage space depending on the ammo type.

Offline NazarTyagun

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: February 17, 2018, 08:36:55 pm »
Hey. So I do not need to start a new game when upgrading from 0.8.3? And yet, is it normal that I can not produce heavy plasma after its research? (research of cartridges done)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: February 17, 2018, 08:48:41 pm »
Hey. So I do not need to start a new game when upgrading from 0.8.3? And yet, is it normal that I can not produce heavy plasma after its research? (research of cartridges done)

Yeah, you can upgrade to the latest version, but if you have any tanks, sell them first.

Manufacturing Heavy Plasma Clip requires also Plasma Weapons.

Offline NazarTyagun

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: February 18, 2018, 11:16:27 pm »
Hello again! Authors do not do not want to integrate this modification: Shadics Armors (colored energy suits without helmets) ?? I would be glad. And, probably, not only me!
now it works, if on in the options. But on many variants of armor the inventory is incorrectly displayed. Also, of course, hairstyles and vanilla c-com faces/
    How can I disable the counterattack of UFO or how to avoid it? it seems that I just lost, because my ship with elite soldiers was shot down, and the second group I lost before.

a little off topic. What exactly affects the level of difficulty of the game?
Thank you.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 11:35:44 pm by NazarTyagun »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: February 18, 2018, 11:33:17 pm »
Hello again! Authors do not do not want to integrate this modification: Shadics Armors (colored energy suits without helmets) ?? I would be glad. And, probably, not only me!

Well, which colour would be better than vanilla? And why?
Geez.

now it works, if on in the options. But on many variants of armor the inventory is incorrectly displayed. Also, of course, hairstyles and vanilla c-com faces/

Wat?

Offline NazarTyagun

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: February 19, 2018, 12:14:43 am »
a small customization?) soldiers by specialization ... no? then this is only important for me)
(I'm talking about this mod)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: February 19, 2018, 01:02:42 am »
Dude, soldiers in X-Com don't have specializations...

Offline NazarTyagun

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: February 19, 2018, 11:57:24 am »
of course I know that there are no specializations), but some fighters get melee weapons (shotguns, maybe knives, grenades), some get sniper rifles, paralyzing weapons, launchers. Then they have a red, blue, yellow or other armor.
it simplifies the management of units on the battlefield
   Also, the soldiers are even more different from each other, because their skin color, hair is visible.
   so, we get "customization"  ::)
     sorry, I just thought that you did not understand what I meant
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 12:00:45 pm by NazarTyagun »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: February 19, 2018, 01:32:36 pm »
Yes, indeed I misunderstood. Sorry.
So now I understand you would like to give different armour colours for each role. This is a fine idea, but unfortunately the engine doesn't allow to do this in an elegant way. What can be done is creating many copies of the same armour, just with different colours. This would clutter the menus, I don't like it.
I think the best way would be to update Shadics' mod to work with X-Com Files and use it along the main mod.

Offline NazarTyagun

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: February 19, 2018, 02:40:12 pm »
Exactly! but my knowledge is enough only to activate both mods and look at the image of synthetic armor in the equipment window, when there
  there is a "red power armor" ;D

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.8.6 alpha: Night of The Lobsters
« Reply #1661 on: March 01, 2018, 11:28:29 pm »
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Ruleset_Reference_Nightly_(OpenXcom) :D

But seriously, feel free to ask if you want to learn. Maybe join the OXC Discord, most of us modders practically live there - much easier to get help.

EDIT: Version 0.8.6 was released.
- Power Mace now has a flat rate attack (always 17 TUs).
- Hangar has storage space again, but now items are confined to storage areas.
- New units: Feral Carcharodon, Feral Lobsterman (co-op with Helrica).
- New missions: Sea Monster Hunt (by Helrica), Night of The Lobsters.
- New terrain: cacti-less desert (for outside of the Americas).
- Added 8 new faces.
- New backgrounds for X-Com and some cults related articles (by Arvidus).
- Set Democratic Republic of Congo flag to the appropriate one for the time period (by Arvidus).
- Added missing article for the Pickup.
- Game now starts on Veteran by default.
- Asuka now also requires Tactical Sniper Rifle Manufacturing.
- Increased damage of Alien Laser Cannon to 60.
- Updated Madman armor.
- Streamlined terrain generation in cult locations.
- Fixed Minigun accuracy (was too high for the extra kneeling bonus).
- Fixed requirements for producing HWP fusion balls.
- Fixed requirements for researching Fusion Defenses.
- Fixed training speed.
- Minor fixes.

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: March 02, 2018, 04:06:29 pm »
Yay, another update, another day that the end of the zombie plotline comes closer!

Still, what do you mean with "game starts on veteran by default"? I thought that you can always choose difficulty upon starting? Also, more lobsters to worry about, yay or nay?

Random question: Is your mod perfectly playable if you activate the 50-150% rule, Solarius?

Also, will you implement "Hunter-Killer" enemy ships? It seems to be all the rage lately, but personally I don't think the game was meant to have that, aliens already have several advantages over your ships and even more so in X-Files, where bribing enough UN officials to finally let you use a 4-people van instead of a run-down car is a privilege.*

Also also: Will there ever be an upgrade to the "private airline" 'vehicle'? Having it be a 2-units car makes it quite useless from my own experience so far, unless stuff changed in the latest versions.

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: March 02, 2018, 08:41:21 pm »
The 50 150 rule wouldn't make it unplayable, but would certainly fuck with balance.

First off, combat armor would be a little overpowered as you effectively raise the resistance of it, and its already kinda powerful as is, to the point it effectively negates small caliber shots to the front 90% of the time, and reducing max incoming damage as well, putting more weapons in the "harmless" threshold. Shotguns especially would be really nerfed, and melee enemies too.

The armor was pretty well balanced in this, and I'd estimate that 50 150 would be far easier up till facing sectopods.

I don't want to speak for scorch, but I doubt hunter killers would apply within the first 2 years for sure, possibly even 3 years since migs are a terrible match for ufos. I'd be utterly shocked if he added hunter killers then, and if he did, it would probably be an extremely rare 1 off kick in the nuts.

Private car has an upgrade to hummer at promotion 2. 5 seats, almost as fast as private car, and of course infinite range.

Anyways on to a bit of my own input.

Not sure when it happened, but allowing events to time out as you travel to them is extremely nice : i actually have a reason to use private car now, instead of vans at all times, since madman killers in particular require speed.

Exalt brainers seem too psionically tough, anyone with bravery under 40 is putty for them, and I even had a bravery 70 guy get mind controlled despite high moral. I can understand A brainer being a threat, but and having psionics, but I'd notch down its power.

Considering you altered drones recently, any chance we can get alternative drones for scouts with smg, or rifle ammo? Particularly a higher capacity, the 50 damage burst is great, but 6 shots really lowers flexibility, especially since it cannot carry a reload by itself.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: March 02, 2018, 08:53:38 pm »
Yay, another update, another day that the end of the zombie plotline comes closer!

...hopefully :)
I haven't really started working on the final stage.

Still, what do you mean with "game starts on veteran by default"? I thought that you can always choose difficulty upon starting?

Of course you can choose difficulty level. But instead of Beginner, the button that is pressed on the "New Game" screen is Veteran now. That's what "by default" means. :P

Random question: Is your mod perfectly playable if you activate the 50-150% rule, Solarius?

Hmmm... I don't know. Should be, but... what Mumble said.

Also, will you implement "Hunter-Killer" enemy ships? It seems to be all the rage lately, but personally I don't think the game was meant to have that, aliens already have several advantages over your ships and even more so in X-Files, where bribing enough UN officials to finally let you use a 4-people van instead of a run-down car is a privilege.*

Yeah, the feature is present in the mod. A bit.

Also also: Will there ever be an upgrade to the "private airline" 'vehicle'? Having it be a 2-units car makes it quite useless from my own experience so far, unless stuff changed in the latest versions.

Sure. Pickup, Hummer, Skyranger... :P

Exalt brainers seem too psionically tough, anyone with bravery under 40 is putty for them, and I even had a bravery 70 guy get mind controlled despite high moral. I can understand A brainer being a threat, but and having psionics, but I'd notch down its power.

I dunno, does it make the mission that much harder? After all he's not just any hybrid, he's a good hybrid.

Considering you altered drones recently, any chance we can get alternative drones for scouts with smg, or rifle ammo? Particularly a higher capacity, the 50 damage burst is great, but 6 shots really lowers flexibility, especially since it cannot carry a reload by itself.

Not planned right now. Maybe in the future.