aliens

Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1952367 times)

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.7.5 alpha: Lizard Trap
« Reply #1560 on: November 19, 2017, 10:28:17 pm »
Greetings, how is it going?

It's been a while since I played this game or Piratez!, and I was wondering whether to restart this one or the other. So, how has X-Files changed since the last time I played it, two or three versions ago? I noticed there's easier access to explosives, especially smoke bombs, as well as a hummer to replace the mediocre vans.

Has its difficulty been adjusted so that shootouts between gangs are actually that? What about higher difficulties spawning way too many human enemies during cult-related missions?

Lastly, any tips about getting money? Since several things changed with the newest version, I suppose.

niculinux

« Reply #1561 on: November 20, 2017, 12:25:29 am »
Greetings, how is it going?

It's been a while since I played this game or Piratez!, and I was wondering whether to restart this one or the other. So, how has X-Files changed since the last time I played it, two or three versions ago? I noticed there's easier access to explosives, especially smoke bombs, as well as a hummer to replace the mediocre vans.

Has its difficulty been adjusted so that shootouts between gangs are actually that? What about higher difficulties spawning way too many human enemies during cult-related missions?

Lastly, any tips about getting money? Since several things changed with the newest version, I suppose.

Hello! Hey in 0.7.5b got into march 1998 and still haven't get my hands on explsosives
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 12:39:43 am by niculinux »

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: November 20, 2017, 12:51:29 am »
So, how has X-Files changed since the last time I played it, two or three versions ago? I noticed there's easier access to explosives, especially smoke bombs, as well as a hummer to replace the mediocre vans.
"2 or 3" major or minor versions? Hummer appeared in 0.7.1, which was more than 3 releases ago. It's faster than the van, but, unfortunately, can't be used in undercover missions.

Since 0.7.0 there was mostly polishing, several new items and crafts that don't change the big picture. Agricultural flamer deserves mention as the earliest available incendiary weapon, but I find flare pistol more convenient and usually get them at the same time.

The biggest change is the new Underdark missions unlocked by random finds in caves. Judging by strings, a lot of new content is going to appear in the upcoming versions :) But so far there's only 3 new missions.

Has its difficulty been adjusted so that shootouts between gangs are actually that?
When I stepped aside — yes, they were fighting each other. When I interfered and used a lot of reloading, my allies didn't do anything for lack of targets. I don't feel that anything changed.

Chemogun and chempistol work as before. I don't remember how profitable HWP ammo used to be, but most of it is still more profitable than chemoguns. Except cannon shells.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1563 on: November 20, 2017, 09:02:59 pm »
Version 0.7.6 has been released.
(Or will be, when the bloody upload is complete.)

- New weapon: M3 Greasegun.
- New paperdoll: Osiron Goon.
- Rebalanced snap accuracy on all weapons.
- 2x2 units are no longer bleeding immune.
- Staff Inputs usually give 10 points.
- Chupacabra attack is now slightly weaker.
- Fixed Grav Module manufacturing.
- Fixed Concerned Citizen recovery.
- Minor fixes to maps.

As for the bigger picture, I think the two most important recent changes were updated civilian AI mod (by Meridian) and the introduction of sniper/spotter mechanics (by Ohartenstein). The first one makes armed civilians behave the same way as enemies (and the enemies shoot them like they would X-Com) and the latter allows some enemies to shoot from behind line of sight and track your units better. These two make a significant change to the gameplay.

Offline Dr.Crowley

• Colonel
  • Saving data in the name of the Emperor!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: November 21, 2017, 09:49:15 pm »
Version 0.7.6 has been released.
(Or will be, when the bloody upload is complete.)
Geez, I am soooooo sloooooow :D

- Fixed Concerned Citizen recovery.
I hope they can be interrogated now.

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.7.6 alpha: Rapid Fire
« Reply #1565 on: November 21, 2017, 09:54:06 pm »
Also the cqc update, wasn't that around v5?

Cqc involves a chance to react to point black gunfire with trying to wrestle the gun away. It involves a check between the shooter and defender, with a successful roll forcing the shooter to shoot left, right, or straight up instead of the intended target, so long as the defender is within 1 tile of the shooter

Pretty good for mixing up close quarters combat significantly, it can either completely screw you over (force you to shoot your allies) or a life saver (avoiding point blank shotgun fire)

It is however tied to melee /  strength / reaction skill, and requires being right next to the shooter, so you can completely avoid this if you simply always fire from no less than 2 tiles away.

Contrary, rushing a gunner with a high melee pawn can be useful in negating a particularly strong enemy, as an enemy with a plasma rifle isn't as dangerous if they miss

There are variables based on strength, facing (the more the person faces the other, the better their role... From behind completely is usually always successful)

... Sorry if you already knew about this, but 2 or 3 versions back i think includes this.

I hope concerned citizens are made a little more scary, last i tried i was incredibly wreck less, and only got one guy knocked out with a bat.

niculinux

« Reply #1566 on: November 23, 2017, 09:58:20 am »
In 0.7.6 all snap shot accuracy for weapons were modified; don't know if something similar will be done for power of some weapons in future versions, as the crossbow (28) being more powerful than mp5 (25) and the magnum .44 right know is an elephant killer (38). Im not sure, but my 2 cent's as always  :)

Edit: for futher weapons addiction may i suggest so take some resources from the very excellent kappa weapons? (screenshots in the thread) :) In the menatime, hope to see in 0.7.7 the MP 40 as a new "outdated weapon"; Dioxine in x-piratezmade and included it for that mod. As for openxcom files I've checked 0.7.6 and actually it is in the mod (bigob_MP) but has the shape of the MP5  ;) Cheers!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 04:06:13 pm by niculinux »

Offline Taberone

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: November 24, 2017, 01:18:57 am »
Are save files compatible with each other if I upgrade to a new version of the mod? The answer is probably yes, but it doesn't hurt to get confirmation.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: November 24, 2017, 11:28:42 am »
Are save files compatible with each other if I upgrade to a new version of the mod? The answer is probably yes, but it doesn't hurt to get confirmation.

Here's the explanation: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4133.0.html You need to manually add new mission types. See the changelogs: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5427.0.html and check if any version in between mentions "new mission".

Every time I get a new version, I start a new game with auto-generated base and immediately save it. Then I use some program like diff to compare it with a similar save from the previous version. If there's something new in "alienStrategy -> possibleMissions", I copy it.

I think there were no changes between 0.7.5 and 0.7.6, but both 0.7.4 and 0.7.5 introduced important changes.

niculinux

« Reply #1569 on: November 25, 2017, 05:58:15 pm »
I've seen at least in early game there are no missions requiring concealed items being spawned, only these with sporting gear. The former will be more common in early game from next versions or are supposed to happen at mid/late game? I suppose the lattter hypothesys   :D

Edit: the feature to hit enemies with buns/gunbutts may be sweet, like in x-piratez. :)

Edit 2: I really like the new battlescape tunes! Possibly, i'd prefer a new one for the geoscape, the curent is too much vanilla, but whatever!!  ;D
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 06:56:53 pm by niculinux »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: November 25, 2017, 09:52:01 pm »

Here's the explanation: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4133.0.html You need to manually add new mission types. See the changelogs: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5427.0.html and check if any version in between mentions "new mission".

Every time I get a new version, I start a new game with auto-generated base and immediately save it. Then I use some program like diff to compare it with a similar save from the previous version. If there's something new in "alienStrategy -> possibleMissions", I copy it.

What you are saying is true for missions run from table, but a huge majority of XCF missions do not use tables. Therefore, missions are reset every month.

Most of the time saves are perfectly transferable, unless I specifically say otherwise.

I've seen at least in early game there are no missions requiring concealed items being spawned, only these with sporting gear. The former will be more common in early game from next versions or are supposed to happen at mid/late game? I suppose the lattter hypothesys   :D

I don't understand. There are many missions with concealable items only. Can you rephrase?

Edit: the feature to hit enemies with buns/gunbutts may be sweet, like in x-piratez. :)

Meh. To a degree, yes. But humans just don't have this kind of oomph behind them, and most of their weapons are badly designed for melee. There are exceptions, though.

Edit 2: I really like the new battlescape tunes! Possibly, i'd prefer a new one for the geoscape, the curent is too much vanilla, but whatever!!  ;D

It is completely vanilla. :) But maybe I'll expand the base at some point.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: November 25, 2017, 10:35:26 pm »
What you are saying is true for missions run from table, but a huge majority of XCF missions do not use tables. Therefore, missions are reset every month.
I noticed that new mission regions were missing when I waited 2 years for an underground mission in 0.7.4 with a game started in 0.7.1 or 0.7.2. This was how I got over 2 billion dollars, by the way :)

Considering, that those missions were broken, maybe their absence in the file wasn't the cause.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: November 26, 2017, 02:01:57 am »
Considering, that those missions were broken, maybe their absence in the file wasn't the cause.

You may be right, who knows. :)

Offline jepeman

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: November 26, 2017, 01:55:30 pm »
Been playing this amazing mod for a while, thanks for all the great work!

Im getting close to the year 1999 and wondering, does the XCom files cults, zombies, monsters, syndicates, mad scientists, etc. content end then and the game switch to more traditional XCom (with final modpack kinda)? Or does the XCom files content continue going on along with UFOs starting to show up more (invasion)?

Worried that I've been too slow tackling the arcs.

My current situation, some spoilers.
Spoiler:
I have killed the 4 cults, ended secret cave missions from spawning (did the research saying goverments/others handling them now) and maybe finished the zombie arc (though haven't seen vampires outside of a couple army vs undead battles, so probably still more to go).

Currently fighting Syndicate, Osiron, Hybrids, Cyberweb, random monsters.
Never seen any of the Shogg content (aside from lantern research) or Cult of the Apocalypse. Though you're listing their completion percentage so low, maybe they're just mentioned here and there in research?

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: November 26, 2017, 10:02:25 pm »
Im getting close to the year 1999 and wondering, does the XCom files cults, zombies, monsters, syndicates, mad scientists, etc. content end then and the game switch to more traditional XCom (with final modpack kinda)? Or does the XCom files content continue going on along with UFOs starting to show up more (invasion)?
Yes, you get the Martian aliens in addition to the rest. Enjoy :) Almost forgot: unlike the rest, they can infiltrate Earth governments and make the countries stop backing you. Supposedly, Russia is still immune to infiltration.

Worried that I've been too slow tackling the arcs.
If you start 1999 with all the inventions available at the start of vanilla X-COM — Interceptor, Skyranger, Alien Containment, Workshop, Laboratory, Black Ops weapons, HWPs — you are doing fine. Not sure about Stun Rod, but early on it can be replaced by tazers and electric clubs.

If you also have improved Interceptor and Skyranger, improved cannon, dart guns and armour better than Personal Armor, you are doing good. Not sure, if you can get flying suits and weapons with unlimited ammo that early.

ended secret cave missions from spawning (did the research saying goverments/others handling them now)
Currently fighting ... random monsters.
Maybe it's the other way around?

and maybe finished the zombie arc (though haven't seen vampires outside of a couple army vs undead battles, so probably still more to go).
Yes, there is more to go, even if it's unfinished :)

Never seen any of the Shogg content (aside from lantern research) or Cult of the Apocalypse. Though you're listing their completion percentage so low, maybe they're just mentioned here and there in research?
Lantern research should unlock deep cave (Shogg) missions. Not sure if they can appear before the start of invasion.

Cult of the Apocalypse includes "Prison Break" and "Town Cleanup" missions which appeared fairly early for me.

In addition, there are various "Men in Black" missions, which appeared for me around 2002, and the TftD-inspired arc unlocked by researching something from Cult of Dagon.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 10:14:10 pm by tkzv »