Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1991325 times)

Offline Dr.Crowley

• Colonel
  • Saving data in the name of the Emperor!
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.6a alpha: The Towering Inferno
« Reply #1125 on: March 13, 2017, 11:39:57 am »
It is doable... Much work though. We'll see how the new balance works first.

And in other news, I've finished the next zombie mission. It features new terrain and a new unit.
Oh gosh, like zombie troopers weren't bad enough? What now, Nazi zombies? Zombie elefants? Zombie soldiers with rocket laucher? Zombies in power armor? 8)

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: March 13, 2017, 12:48:28 pm »
zombies who have mini chrysalids as headcrabs and throw them like the infected zombie from halflife 2?

.. ...Please.. ..NEVER do this...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1127 on: March 13, 2017, 01:02:14 pm »
In fact, it's zombies with big f*ing swords. In a dark dungeon. With most props ripped from Diablo.

Offline Dr.Crowley

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: March 13, 2017, 01:24:14 pm »
In fact, it's zombies with big f*ing swords. In a dark dungeon. With most props ripped from Diablo.
Sounds like "Zombie arc meets the Underdark arc" ;)

I wonder if it would be better to start a new game because of all recent changes. As I told before my current playthrough became somewhat dull (but not a failure) since an invasion started - it's July 1999 and nothing much happens. Yes, common missions like Enviromental Alert and Cultist Activity are still taking place, but it feels like the "plot development" suddenly stopped. That's why I want to remember what feels wrong for me. Be warned - this is no any sort of insult or crititcism, it's just like "am I doing something wrong?" because I'm playing on Beginner just to test a lower difficulty level (my past experience with another game mods shows that the lower difficulties are often undertested). 
Alright, let's begin:
  • Does the Mutant arc end with bio-extraction or I need to research ALL living specimen to get the plot moving?
  • What's wrong with the alien invasion? I spent a half of 1999 without seeing any UFO at all (except of this disastrous terror mission on February). Is it because of Beginner difficulty?  ;)
  • Is zombie outbreak in M.A.G.M.A. Lab a single special mission (like Counsil missions from Hobbes' Area 51 mod) or something else? I've got it twice  :o
  • Hybrids, Syndicate, Cyberweb, T'leth... wait, are these late-game arcs?
  • Why I still can't manufacture or buy Canister Gun and Toxigun ammo?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 04:13:38 pm by Dr.Crowley »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: March 15, 2017, 11:59:38 pm »
Oooops, sorry, I missed your post!

Sounds like "Zombie arc meets the Underdark arc" ;)

Sort of :)
But with random treasure!

I wonder if it would be better to start a new game because of all recent changes. As I told before my current playthrough became somewhat dull (but not a failure) since an invasion started - it's July 1999 and nothing much happens. Yes, common missions like Enviromental Alert and Cultist Activity are still taking place, but it feels like the "plot development" suddenly stopped.

I don't think a new game will change much here. Except that you'll get to use some new weapons.

Does the Mutant arc end with bio-extraction or I need to research ALL living specimen to get the plot moving?

No, you don't have to research them all. You don't have to research any of them actually, if you don't want to, except for plasma extraction. (OK, you need at least one to advance... But you can use some other life forms instead, like mutants.)

What's wrong with the alien invasion? I spent a half of 1999 without seeing any UFO at all (except of this disastrous terror mission on February). Is it because of Beginner difficulty?  ;)

It's RNG mostly. But I'm still fiddling with it.

Is zombie outbreak in M.A.G.M.A. Lab a single special mission (like Counsil missions from Hobbes' Area 51 mod) or something else? I've got it twice  :o

It'll come up periodically until you advance enough.

Hybrids, Syndicate, Cyberweb, T'leth... wait, are these late-game arcs?

Depends; I'd say mid-game more than late game, maybe except T'leth.

Why I still can't manufacture or buy Canister Gun and Toxigun ammo?

You need to research Alien Gardens.

And now...

Version 0.6.1 has been released!

- Added Zombie Catacombs.
- Added new cult houses (with new loot).
- Living Megascorpions and Giant Beetles now yield some plasma.
- Radar researches are more expensive.
- Changed civilians in the second stage of Arachnoquake mission.
- Fixed missing M.A.G.M.A. Lab region.
- Fixed some Urban maps.
- Some minor Ufopaedia and string fixes.

Offline Dr.Crowley

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.6.1 alpha: The Towering Inferno
« Reply #1130 on: March 16, 2017, 06:59:31 am »
Oh, thanks for answering 8)

Version 0.6.1 has been released!

- Added Zombie Catacombs.
- Added new cult houses (with new loot).
- Living Megascorpions and Giant Beetles now yield some plasma.
- Radar researches are more expensive.
- Changed civilians in the second stage of Arachnoquake mission.
- Fixed missing M.A.G.M.A. Lab region.
- Fixed some Urban maps.
- Some minor Ufopaedia and string fixes.
Woo-hoo! Another update time!

Offline Niewiem

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: March 16, 2017, 02:46:29 pm »
Hi I am new guy here and eager to play your mod :)
I already played part of Full Mod Pack and watched some of Meridians LP for Full Mod Pack
Thank you for keeping this great game alive! :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: March 16, 2017, 05:18:04 pm »
Thanks, have fun, and feedback is always appreciated.  ;)

Offline Niewiem

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: March 17, 2017, 10:24:20 am »
I did not even started playing yet but found that in changelog:

- Undersea missions now require researching a submarine.

Does that mean we are having bridge between Xcom1 and Xcom2 here? Or is it earlier than first alien invasion?
BTW did you think of making a mod that would be actual bridge between Xcom1 and Xcom2 (I mean it would cover what happened between those two) and would allow playing both continously? Is it even possible?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: March 17, 2017, 10:56:26 am »
It's not possible to simply merge the two games without extensive coding, but this mod contains a mini version of TFTD in a form of a chain of underwater missions to thwart an early stage of T'leth invasion. You do not attack T'leth as such - it's decades before it even activates - but you do blow up some installations.
Also, Juku is currently working on making this arc bigger and more complex.

Offline Niewiem

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: March 17, 2017, 11:48:01 am »
Great - thank you for info!
I should start my playthrough today :)

Offline Dr.Crowley

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: March 17, 2017, 01:32:18 pm »
Great - thank you for info!
I should start my playthrough today :)
Good luck! I hope you won't face heavily armed Etherials on your first terror mission *shivers*

Offline mrbiasha

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: March 17, 2017, 05:56:27 pm »
Good luck! I hope you won't face heavily armed Etherials on your first terror mission *shivers*

This will never be forgotten... But I do hope new generations of commanders won't have to face it.

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: March 18, 2017, 07:29:24 am »
Well, I finally beat the spider caves, so I can comment proper on it!!

first off, I kinda realize now motion detectors would be REALLY handy for this thing, as visibility is extremely limited due to the winding pathways. The stairs seem interesting and nice , but kinda wish going down them was worth doing.

Having extra hands to give reaction fire makes this much easier, just a helicopter made this much more barable... Though, it also helped I exposed a few dead ends early, to enable me to focus on the 1 direction the threat came from

spider queen is always kinda screwed on this map, a 2x2 unit with 1x1 halls everywhere is a bit easy it seems. I ended up cheesing it very easy after clearing the little guys out...kinda mad I never ended up capturing it

Points wise, its STILL a bit harsh, I think... I think killing / capturing the spider queen should give a heftier bonus, since it essentially means genocide the nest. I complete both parts, all kills (obviously) 1 agent death, all civilians but 1 died, and barely broke 50 points... I was hoping it could give more, considering all the risk involved, and the extra long mission. I mean, you completely destroyed a nest, and essentially saved a region, so regardless if the town in question got slaughtered, I think the council would still be pretty happy.

Also, at least for 0.6a, the black ops sniper can be purchased BEFORE black ops industries research is done. not sure how, but the blackops sniper acquisition research is available before then.

Also, I'm worried the gap on the AK47 and the AK74 is a bit too much. AK74 is better in all respects short of aimed shot accuracy, and the AK47 has a large TU cost for that. Seems the AK47 could use tweaking...?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 04:11:18 pm by mumble »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: March 18, 2017, 08:43:08 pm »
Well, I finally beat the spider caves, so I can comment proper on it!!

first off, I kinda realize now motion detectors would be REALLY handy for this thing, as visibility is extremely limited due to the winding pathways. The stairs seem interesting and nice , but kinda wish going down them was worth doing.

Having extra hands to give reaction fire makes this much easier, just a helicopter made this much more barable... Though, it also helped I exposed a few dead ends early, to enable me to focus on the 1 direction the threat came from

OK, thanks, I get it.

spider queen is always kinda screwed on this map, a 2x2 unit with 1x1 halls everywhere is a bit easy it seems. I ended up cheesing it very easy after clearing the little guys out...kinda mad I never ended up capturing it

She was smaller when she got there. :P

Points wise, its STILL a bit harsh, I think... I think killing / capturing the spider queen should give a heftier bonus, since it essentially means genocide the nest.

She's already worth 50 points, which is a lot... But you know, I'll make it 80. Because giant spiders make good headlines.

Also, at least for 0.6a, the black ops sniper can be purchased BEFORE black ops industries research is done. not sure how, but the blackops sniper acquisition research is available before then.

Damn, you're right. Fixing.

Also, I'm worried the gap on the AK47 and the AK74 is a bit too much. AK74 is better in all respects short of aimed shot accuracy, and the AK47 has a large TU cost for that. Seems the AK47 could use tweaking...?

You mean the AKSU? Well, but it's a later construction, so it is no wonder it's more advanced. It's also more specialized.