Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.3: Mysteries Ancient And New  (Read 2004620 times)

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.5.5c alpha: I'll Dissect You!
« Reply #1005 on: February 28, 2017, 07:08:31 pm »
According to wikipedia, close, but not exactly the same thing. PKM is a 7.62x54 machine gun based on earlier designs, including the 7.62x39 RPK.

Edit:  Oops, missed your edit :P

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
  • He who laughs last thinks fastest.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: February 28, 2017, 07:12:37 pm »
Heh, and cultists are the story for another day 8)

Shit... It is common practice for me to literally kidnap 1-2 dudes and interrogate the shit out of them. It has gotten to the point that I can basically go in and abduct ALIENS right out of their own ship in 3-4 turns in a grab and go.

1. Cut the hull open
2. Stun the shit out of them
3. Pick them up and run like hell. 

But, I'm really picky... the most valuable aliens are leaders and engineers. Medics are good for a bit, Navigators are ok. Leaders though will tell you all you want to know.

Cultists are just annoying. Every month I take a trip or two out to the murder farm and murder the shit out of some cultists for some quick points. This next month in game I'm going to try to remove 4 Alien Bases... Should be interesting.

Offline Dr.Crowley

• Colonel
  • Saving data in the name of the Emperor!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: February 28, 2017, 07:38:16 pm »
Shit... It is common practice for me to literally kidnap 1-2 dudes and interrogate the shit out of them. It has gotten to the point that I can basically go in and abduct ALIENS right out of their own ship in 3-4 turns in a grab and go.

1. Cut the hull open
2. Stun the shit out of them
3. Pick them up and run like hell. 

But, I'm really picky... the most valuable aliens are leaders and engineers. Medics are good for a bit, Navigators are ok. Leaders though will tell you all you want to know.

Cultists are just annoying. Every month I take a trip or two out to the murder farm and murder the shit out of some cultists for some quick points. This next month in game I'm going to try to remove 4 Alien Bases... Should be interesting.

Haha, the aliens are something to be feared for me. Even before 1999 UFO Landing missions were a major disaster for my agents because of superior alien weapons and mind control. Cultists can be a real pain too, but at least you have Alloy Vests (and Shields) that will probably protect your agents from gunfire (well, except "holy shit" enemies like Black Lostus Avatar). Aliens are completely different picture - even Alien Alloy armor can't help againt laser or plasma weapons.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1008 on: February 28, 2017, 08:10:53 pm »
Well, you forgot Zombies.

Righto. Zombies: 60% (though working hours-wise, more like 20%, as the next stage requires completely new terrain, and the one after that could be the same).

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: February 28, 2017, 09:53:49 pm »
Haha, the aliens are something to be feared for me. Even before 1999 UFO Landing missions were a major disaster for my agents because of superior alien weapons and mind control. Cultists can be a real pain too, but at least you have Alloy Vests (and Shields) that will probably protect your agents from gunfire (well, except "holy shit" enemies like Black Lostus Avatar). Aliens are completely different picture - even Alien Alloy armor can't help againt laser or plasma weapons.

Play your strengths, Avoid night missions but prepare for them  with flares, flashlights and Incendiary support.

Concealment can save your soldiers, and spotter/sniper combos moving carefully through smoke can prevent landing craft massacre.

The aliens are meh at shooting, but have really high damage weapons, but they have a distinct disadvantage or equalization with humans when engaged at range.

this combined with concealment gives a good chance of not losing tons of dudes to reaction fire and psi.

if you are really want to screw their day up rookies as reaction fire sappers work... in a brutal we gotta win way.

the Avatars panic way too easy. kill their minions and they flip out and run away letting you stun their stupid ass with impunity.

ninjas are stupid and judicious use of fire, explosives, and mines thins their idiotic "I can be dressed in black under full daylight 1 square away being directly observed and be invisible" bullshit.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: March 03, 2017, 12:19:06 am »
Here's what Dioxine and I spent most of the day on... You better like it. :D

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: March 03, 2017, 05:34:21 am »
Awww yeah!

That's pretty awesome.

Offline Dr.Crowley

• Colonel
  • Saving data in the name of the Emperor!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: March 03, 2017, 06:00:39 am »
Oh, yeah now we got helis!  :D

Offline kazek

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: March 03, 2017, 02:08:36 pm »
GET TO DA CHOPPA!!!

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: March 03, 2017, 03:51:48 pm »
Neat mod, I really have a thing for mods where you start with bare bones in terms of gear, it makes upgrades and new gadgets feel SO much more powerful.

One problem I noticed : In crop circle missions, gunning down the farmer GIVES 30 points, so its much better to just being a homicidal maniac then take him in.

I'm guessing this was a mistake, and its supposed to take points, like in piratez? Or is it better to hide the body of witnesses, rather than increase hysteria?  :P

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: March 03, 2017, 04:23:22 pm »
I noticed the same... especially after researching the farmers. It became better and easier to simply show up and shoot the farmers and leave.

Anyone found any alien electronics? like the physical object?

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: March 03, 2017, 05:07:55 pm »
Anyone found any alien electronics? like the physical object?

Pull apart a cyberdisc and look inside :P

Seriously, find alien units that rely heavily on electronics (mostly cyberdiscs); there are manufacturing projects that turn their corpses into electronics.  You just have to make sure the cyberdisc doesn't explode...

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: March 03, 2017, 05:37:26 pm »
Stun a cyberdisk? fuuuck. ok...

I need it for the Avenger... after that it's all over but the screaming.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: March 03, 2017, 06:12:39 pm »
Stun a cyberdisk? fuuuck. ok...

Stun's one way (I suggest small launchers), explosive, incendiary, and melee damage also prevent the death explosion.  You haven't been using flamethrowers on them, have you? That's really the easiest way to deal with close-up discs.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: March 03, 2017, 06:49:41 pm »
Regarding the farmer: recovering his corpse grants you negative points, so you shouldn't be earning them by killing farmers... Unless I did something wrong.