Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1949718 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.5.5 alpha: I'll Dissect You!
« Reply #945 on: February 11, 2017, 08:01:08 pm »
Should I be getting UFOs in August and September 1997 or have I made a knickers of my install?

Some research yes, actual invasion no.

Offline Gordonmull

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: February 11, 2017, 08:35:31 pm »
Some research yes, actual invasion no.

I'm up to UFO-6 in September. At least I know it's nothing to worry about, thanks.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: February 12, 2017, 11:35:04 pm »
Version 0.5.5b has been released.

- Added Russian version (by Kammerer) - 70% complete.
- Fixed inconsistency with Heavy Shotgun ammo.
- Fixed some inconsistencies with Zombies.
- Fixed too many civilians in the second stage of Arachnoquake mission.
- Fixed a crash with Staff Input: Dreams of the Titans.

Yes, I promised 0.6 soon, but it turned out that I have to wait until certain vital pieces of code make it to the .exe, so please have this bugfix version for now. And it contains Kammerer's Russian translation, I'm sure he'll appreciate some feedback!

Offline Dr.Crowley

• Colonel
  • Saving data in the name of the Emperor!
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: February 13, 2017, 02:39:33 pm »
Version 0.5.5b has been released.

- Added Russian version (by Kammerer) - 70% complete.
- Fixed inconsistency with Heavy Shotgun ammo.
- Fixed some inconsistencies with Zombies.
- Fixed too many civilians in the second stage of Arachnoquake mission.
- Fixed a crash with Staff Input: Dreams of the Titans.

Yes, I promised 0.6 soon, but it turned out that I have to wait until certain vital pieces of code make it to the .exe, so please have this bugfix version for now. And it contains Kammerer's Russian translation, I'm sure he'll appreciate some feedback!
Woo-hoo! I hope my saves won't break anything :D And I'll be happy to check Russian translation too. And specking about zombies - why Zombie and Infector Zombie have the same autopsy picture?

Well, time to report from March 1998. First two months of invasion were almost the same as previous two years (aside from slightly increased cultist activity)... and then the first alien terror attack took place. I sent my assault squad, thinking that they are able to handle it - a big mistake! I was forced to watch helplessly while my team of hardened veterans who spent last two years storming cult safehouses, outposts and bases was literally butchered by Ethereals and Cyberdiscs. It was like somebody sent an ordinar SWAT team to deal with alien invasion...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 03:02:39 pm by Dr.Crowley »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: February 13, 2017, 04:08:03 pm »
Woo-hoo! I hope my saves won't break anything :D

Certainly not, it's just a couple of fixes.

And I'll be happy to check Russian translation too. And specking about zombies - why Zombie and Infector Zombie have the same autopsy picture?

Because I don't have two pictures. ;) They aren't really much different visually anyway, except the Infector is more greyish. Hmm, actually this is a significant difference from the lore point of view... Well, if I have an alternative image, I'll use it.

Well, time to report from March 1998. First two months of invasion were almost the same as previous two years (aside from slightly increased cultist activity)... and then the first alien terror attack took place.

Hold on, in March 1998? Not 1999? Hmm...

I sent my assault squad, thinking that they are able to handle it - a big mistake! I was forced to watch helplessly while my team of hardened veterans who spent last two years storming cult safehouses, outposts and bases was literally butchered by Ethereals and Cyberdiscs. It was like somebody sent an ordinar SWAT team to deal with alien invasion...

OMFG... Ethereals. And in 1998.
I think something may have gone wrong with the calendar, with all the changes and save updates... Oh well, at least you have some "unique experience". :P

And! Turned out I had to release an 0.5.5c, because a critical bug report came in literally 10 minutes after 0.5.5b. Naturally. So here it is. Sorry!

Offline Dr.Crowley

• Colonel
  • Saving data in the name of the Emperor!
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: February 13, 2017, 05:12:08 pm »
Hold on, in March 1998? Not 1999? Hmm...
No no no, don't worry, I just mistyped. It's March 1999. Sorry.
But there were Ethereals anyway ;D

And! Turned out I had to release an 0.5.5c, because a critical bug report came in literally 10 minutes after 0.5.5b. Naturally. So here it is. Sorry!
Uh, thank god I didn't hurry up to download an 0.5.5b ;)

BTW, maybe I should create a new topic for my "field reports" 8)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: February 13, 2017, 05:44:36 pm »
No no no, don't worry, I just mistyped. It's March 1999. Sorry.
But there were Ethereals anyway ;D

Well, you still pulled a very short stick. ;) I'll probably have another look at the races' timetable.

BTW, maybe I should create a new topic for my "field reports" 8)

Feel free if you want :)

Offline mrbiasha

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: February 13, 2017, 07:19:15 pm »

Well, when you take your time your work really shines, even more than the usual amazing stuff you do! So no need to hurry! (And I would like to try to make it to really late game on this version if not finish it  ;D)

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
  • He who laughs last thinks fastest.
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.5.5c alpha: I'll Dissect You!
« Reply #953 on: February 14, 2017, 02:14:09 am »
I also had an ethereal & cyber disk terror mission early in April 1999. The best option is to abort. losing tons of men and equipment isn't worth it.

Never ever engage a superior enemy on their own terms.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #954 on: February 15, 2017, 09:25:43 am »
But, fuck yes.... MOAR GUNZ!!  ;D

Thank you, lately I keep making them for Solar's XCF like crazy. I'd ask for recommendations, but I learned one thing: never ask a gun freak about guns or military matters :) But I'll ask anyway: what's the most popular military used gun for the .338 Lapua Magnum round?

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: February 15, 2017, 03:17:25 pm »
Not sure about most popular for the round, but maybe this fits the bill? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accuracy_International_AWM

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: February 15, 2017, 04:07:05 pm »
Not sure about most popular for the round, but maybe this fits the bill? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accuracy_International_AWM

This is a good pick, I'd also maybe choose the SAKO TRG-41. Both rifles fit the caliber, time period and popularity requirements as this was a VERY new round at the time... AI got their first, but SAKO dominated the market immediately afterward until roughly 2005.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: February 15, 2017, 04:32:14 pm »
AI got their first, but SAKO dominated the market immediately afterward until roughly 2005.

By 'market', do you mean the civilian market? Because if Wiki is right, various militaries are split between TRG and AWM as the most popular, PGM 338 playing runner-up and several bigger countries (US, Canada, Germany) doing their own variants.

Some even use both Sako and AI products, but I have doubts about anyone switching over from one to the other. Militaries don't really work that way. Then again, it's a pretty niche weapon, so some weirdness might have happened.

Edit: clarifications.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 07:18:49 pm by Juku121 »

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: February 15, 2017, 07:22:03 pm »
By 'market', do you mean the civilian market? Because if Wiki is right, various militaries are split between TRG and AWM as the most popular, PGM 338 playing runner-up and some bigger countries (US, Canada, Germany) doing their own variants.

Some even use both Sako and AI products, but I have doubts about anyone switching over. Militaries don't really work that way. Then again, it's a pretty niche weapon.

Juku121,

We are talking about the mid to late 90's for this mod and not current times and you are completely wrong on this one; like ALL THE WAY AROUND and you are reading into my statements when you shouldn't and are showing your ignorance. Let me educate you.

The U.S. had a serious wet dream since the early 1980s for an intermediate cartridge between .308 and .50 and actively began trying to find a solution in 1982. The project was farmed out to Research Armament Industries where a .416 Rigby was monkeyed with and a rough action was designed and built based on the AR platform. Ed Dillion, Jim Bell, Boots Obermeyer, and Jerry Haskins all provided something into the mix. If none of those names mean anything? Look them up. In 1984 Lapua was chosen as a production partner because the U.S. wanted their projectiles because they had that European efficient anal retentive quality control while the preliminary Hornady bullets had problems. Haskins' action wasn't that good, but the U.S. decided to let the project continue but really didn't get anywhere and did the fade away in the denouement just prior to the fall of the Soviet Union.

Lapua basically being eager saw a future opportunity and took it. Lapua continued the 338 project themselves and made a few refinements like a greater taper, and web thickness.  The German company Heym then heard about this Whiz Bang cartridge and began selling a few custom '98 Mauser pattern rifles chambered in the brand spanking new .338 Lapua in 1985 and it quickly became a hit with competitive long range shooters in Europe. The Mauser Action is simple, strong, and well understood and the .338 had great characteristics but the set up wasn't ideal.

Later sometime in 1988 Accuracy International began developing the Arctic Warfare Magnum and eventually settled on chambering it in .300 Winmag and .338 Lapua. This made the AWM the first production rifle in .338... AI were there first. Now, SAKO had provided barrels for Lapua on their test guns and seeing another company from a different country get in bed with their countrymen pissed them off. So, SAKO began offering chambering of their TRG series in .338; specifically the TRG-41 and it was off to the races.

Early adopters chose first the AWM and then the more refined TRG-42 came along and tada! that's why you see lots of countries with both or with the AWM and then another rifle in .338. They bought one model, the AWM and needed more rifles in a .338. SAKO had the production capacity and price that Accuracy International did not. In the interim between the first and second rounds of buying the AWM and Accuracy International being unable to keep up production quantities SAKO dominated by simply being able to provide TRG-42s for purchase... and so some countries field both.

So, that is HOW the military market was dominated by SAKO and that is how markets work including ones that involve the military. If you cannot provide a good or services, then your competitor will and honestly in this case it comes down to the barrel... There are very few barrel makers are in Europe. SAKO is one of them and Accuracy International is not. Besides .338 was adopted and tested for CIP in 1989 but not SAAMI until 2007. Thus The availability of ammo was limited to only, you guessed it! LAPUA!, for the first 20 years of it's existence because none of the larger ammunition manufactures in the Western Hemispheres had good solid numbers from the certifying agency it considered king and no civilian market because the U.S. has had .300 WinMag since 1963. Europe was a different story...

Until after 2000 there wasn't really much choice except Accuracy International or SAKO. Then of course in 2001 everything changed rapidly as Afghanistan showed a need for what the U.S. had been harping about since the 80's. In Afghanistan, long range engagements where humping a 35lb .50 rifle was impractical at best and there being no such thing as match grade machine gun ammo drove the point home. Thus the U.S wanted a new rifle, the Canadians wanted a new rifle and everyone was totally enamored with .338. Macmillian, PGM, SIG, PGW and others came onto the scene with various militaries starting in 2001 until 2005.

The PGM 338 DID NOT EXIST in the timeline of the X-Com Files and is easily provable as Chris Movigliatti did not go to work for PGM until late 1999/2000.

Lapua laughed all the way to the bank.

**edited for clarity**
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 09:46:40 pm by HelmetHair »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: February 15, 2017, 10:00:01 pm »
I AM ignorant, that's why I asked. You're reading too much into my statements. ;) Nice read, though.

A few more questions inspired by your piece:

Is there a country that completely switched from Sako to AI or vice versa?

Are today's AWM users mostly late adopters then? I know that not all TRG users date back to the 90s or even the early 00s.