Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1951499 times)

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
  • He who laughs last thinks fastest.
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.5.5 alpha: I'll Dissect You!
« Reply #930 on: February 06, 2017, 10:14:37 pm »
Ugh I hate that... I also hate the missions with ludicrous amounts of enemies. Red Dawn HQ mission where I lost everyone was still a huge success because I killed 74 enemies. seriously I killed the utter fuck out of dudes.

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: February 07, 2017, 09:54:43 pm »
Sol,

After playing for a bit I am seeing a quirk on the research tree. I'll hide what I've noticed behind spoiler tags

Spoiler:
In regards to smart weapons....
Why does Advanced AI only trigger Smart Magnum rather than a smart weapons program then the individual weapons? If you can cram smart guts onto a revolver you can cram it onto anything else. Also, why is there no smart Arasaka 3K or Alloy ammo for it?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #932 on: February 07, 2017, 11:15:41 pm »
Well,
Spoiler:
right now the only X-Com-made smart weapon is this Smart Magnum. Other smart weapons are produced by other manufacturers. When/if there are more smart weapons, I'll probably restructure it a little.

Offline LuigiWhatif

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: February 08, 2017, 02:44:28 am »
I got my first cyberweb mission but I can't find any of the enemies.  I hear doors open so I know they're somewhere but I've explored everywhere I can see and I haven't seen them.  Am I missing something obvious?

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: February 08, 2017, 07:23:20 am »
Well,
Spoiler:
right now the only X-Com-made smart weapon is this Smart Magnum. Other smart weapons are produced by other manufacturers. When/if there are more smart weapons, I'll probably restructure it a little.

AH! This makes good sense.

There was a really great mechanic that I would love to see expanded or otherwise used in different ways.

Spoiler:
MAGMA Alloy Ammo exchange
is an awesome idea that just makes sense. Are you going to expand this to give more flavor and flexibility?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: February 08, 2017, 08:30:40 pm »
Thanks!

Are you going to expand this to give more flavor and flexibility?

Oh yes, certainly. Not sure where and how exactly, but I like it too, so.

Also, two new weapons: the goddamn M82 Barett (it used to be THE sniper rifle back in my CP2020 role-playing days*) and the goddamn Wildey (perhaps the biggest pistol on Earth).

* Actually the CP 2020 version was called Barett Arasaka... Now you know.

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: February 08, 2017, 09:24:27 pm »

I'm over here ROFLing about the Wildey. Old games of Dark Conspiracy (Think twilight 2000 with Cthulu and aliens) using the Wildey because of its overkill damage fucking 4d6 pistol....memories. :)
)
Being a gun nut I can count the number times I've seen one; going regularly to the largest gun show in the western hemispheres on one hand....and expensive to boot $1700 new in box circa 1999 and when they halted production in 2011 the prices rocketed and I saw someone successfully sell one for a touch over $5,000 with a few odds and ends thrown in. I bet that guy was PISSED when they resumed production in 2016... Nothing like getting New Coked, Crystal Pepsied whatever you want to say.

But, fuck yes.... MOAR GUNZ!!  ;D

Can we get a smart Arasaka 3k project and alloy ammo next update... Pretty please.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: February 08, 2017, 10:04:51 pm »
Can we get a smart Arasaka 3k project and alloy ammo next update... Pretty please.

Sorry, no - the manufacturer would sue our asses. :) We can also fiddle with BlackOps Industries designs, because of a special agreement. (And our own designs, of course.)

Plus, it would be too good. ;)

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: February 09, 2017, 01:26:52 am »
Ok... so what your telling me is we need to pull a Bill Gates and steal from Steve Jobs.... ok ok ok.. I got it!

How about we call our alternative (totally not ripped off rifle) the...

U-R-A-Suka 3k1

No one would ever be able to tell. ;)

Alternatively, we could put a gun to their head (pun intended) by telling them their biggest customer is about to be completely annihilated because it happens to be a fucking death cult bent on causing havoc and are in cahoots with goof ass anorexics with a serious saffron fetish from outer space.... they'd totally believe that piece of truth.

But on a more serious question.

does line of sight psi actually work for the X-com files? I turned that option on because otherwise when I get psi... it's fucking over for the aliens.

I've noticed a strange tendency for sometimes psi attacks to occur when an agent is hugging the outer hull of a ufo. It's happened 4 times where I've had a soldier get hit with a mental attack and panic when there was no line of sight between alien and agent. There was at least twice where the agent made to panic could not of possibly been seen by ANY alien inside the UFO and all aliens where dead outside of the UFO and the agent in question was smashed in the middle of the crew coming off the skyraider.

thoughts?

oh and I totally want a 3 charge health spray.....pretty please :)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 01:33:20 am by HelmetHair »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: February 09, 2017, 01:30:11 am »
Normal Psi-Amp doesn't work through walls, but the large one ("Stereo") does.

And a bigger spray is en route. ;)

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: February 09, 2017, 05:00:42 pm »
So the stereo psi-amp allows aliens to know the position of certain soldiers even if they have NOT been spotted by any enemies? I call shenanigans.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: February 09, 2017, 05:14:15 pm »
So Meridian coded up this thing called psi vision a little while back, which basically amounts to wallhacks... I'm guessing certain aliens have gotten some limited version of it such that they can see your soldiers through walls for up to a couple tiles.  So technically, they do have LOS...

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: February 09, 2017, 05:36:01 pm »
Otherwise known as shenanigans.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: February 09, 2017, 06:53:28 pm »
So the stereo psi-amp allows aliens to know the position of certain soldiers even if they have NOT been spotted by any enemies? I call shenanigans.

Eh? No, I was speaking of X-Com psi-amps. Aliens don't use psi equipment, they have it built into their brains - well, some of them.

So Meridian coded up this thing called psi vision a little while back, which basically amounts to wallhacks... I'm guessing certain aliens have gotten some limited version of it such that they can see your soldiers through walls for up to a couple tiles.  So technically, they do have LOS...

Ah, I get it now. Yes, some aliens do have psi vision, it's a normal thing for a psionic to have...

It's not like they "spot without seeing", they just see stuff through the walls to a certain degree.

Offline Gordonmull

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: February 11, 2017, 07:43:57 pm »
Should I be getting UFOs in August and September 1997 or have I made a knickers of my install?