aliens

Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1950431 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.5.3 alpha: Boom, Headshot!
« Reply #870 on: January 20, 2017, 09:25:18 pm »
I don't think he's saying at the beginning of the invasion, but as soon as you start the game.  Try starting a new game on version 0.5.3, and it starts the mission table in the first month.

Edit: Here's a save with a landed UFO in the first month.

Yes, I understood that - or at least I think I did.

Before I move the missions to missionScripts there isn't much I can do, but notice that there are (hopefully) no alien terrors, no bases etc. - so the invasion hasn't started. But yes, there are UFOs, and it is totally fine.

I actually managed to assault a landed UFO in my first month with a car. I got a dead Sectoid corpse. :P

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: January 20, 2017, 09:27:33 pm »
Ah, working as intended :)  Just in case our agents haven't been dying fast enough to chupacabras and firearms, here's some alien laser rifles and plasma to run into.

Offline JeyP

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: January 20, 2017, 11:47:27 pm »
This is even better than "2 dogs 1 car" ^^

(ringing phone sound)

...........: What is it?
        Agent1: Commander we have a problem.
Commander: Last time I told you, if you crash rental car again you will be cleaning the toilets for a month.
        Agent1: We spotted ufo, sir.
Commander: WHAT...a ufo? Where are you now?
        Agent1: We flying to the Europe to investigate rumors about some strange life form.
Commander: Leave it. Tell the pilot to follow that UFO.
        Agent1: But...
Commander: No but, it's an order! (click)
        Agent1: ... He hung up on me like always.
        Agent2: So what did he say?
        Agent1: We must fallow that ufo.
        Agent2: What! But we are in a passenger plane!
        Agent1: Tell me about it ...

Hope ufo won't show from the start. Aren't we learning about aliens too quickly anyway? Becouse Kiryu-Kai basicaly we know about invasion from te start so if invasion will be in 2 years it's not hard connect aliens with most of the circumstance around the world. At te begining i would like to see more x-files than x-com. Kiryu-Kai should be secret, we would need to find dossier about ex kiryu-kai agent then find him or maybe some mission that give us some data item and after research we find out why kiru-kai was terminated (japanese government support aliens in exchange for their technology or something like that)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.5.4 alpha: The Actual Files
« Reply #873 on: January 21, 2017, 09:30:14 pm »
This is even better than "2 dogs 1 car" ^^

I should immortalize it somehow.

(ringing phone sound)

...........: What is it?
        Agent1: Commander we have a problem.
Commander: Last time I told you, if you crash rental car again you will be cleaning the toilets for a month.
        Agent1: We spotted ufo, sir.
Commander: WHAT...a ufo? Where are you now?
        Agent1: We flying to the Europe to investigate rumors about some strange life form.
Commander: Leave it. Tell the pilot to follow that UFO.
        Agent1: But...
Commander: No but, it's an order! (click)
        Agent1: ... He hung up on me like always.
        Agent2: So what did he say?
        Agent1: We must fallow that ufo.
        Agent2: What! But we are in a passenger plane!
        Agent1: Tell me about it ...

Funny thing, this is exactly what happened! :) The original mission wasn't that far from the base, so getting there by car wasn't unbelievable.

Hope ufo won't show from the start. Aren't we learning about aliens too quickly anyway?

But aliens have been here for decades. No, I don't think it' a problem.

Becouse Kiryu-Kai basicaly we know about invasion from te start so if invasion will be in 2 years it's not hard connect aliens with most of the circumstance around the world.

Yes, that's more or less why X-Com was created... Although nobody says it out loud.

At te begining i would like to see more x-files than x-com.

Me too, that's the general direction.

Kiryu-Kai should be secret, we would need to find dossier about ex kiryu-kai agent then find him or maybe some mission that give us some data item and after research we find out why kiru-kai was terminated (japanese government support aliens in exchange for their technology or something like that)

No, Kiryu-Kai is not secret and has never been (to X-Com anyway); it's their direct predecessor, it was terminated shortly before X-Com started, and some of X-Com data and possibly equipment and even people - were in Kiryu-Kai before.

But worry not, with time you'll still find what you asked for. :)

Aaaand, surprise 0.5.4 update.

- Added Dossiers: Ivan Vaslov, McGuinness Elliott Cooke, Ernie Lloyd Sobatka, Terrence Lockhart, Harley Stone (all of them by Helmet Hair), Ilya Dolvich (by Warboy1982), Parvati Anand Foster, Dr. Able Standard (both by Ajnunezr), Lucifer Romanov, Martin Jakubko, The Shadowman and The Richter Sisters.
- Added Trauma Pack.
- Improved Prison Cells sprite.
- Fixed Uzi Clip acquisition.
- Fixed Staff of Heart Grip not appearing on enemies.
- Fixed MiB Agent knowing too much.
- Fixed Shadowbat body size.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 09:05:43 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline wolfreal

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: January 22, 2017, 09:03:44 pm »
Aaaand, surprise 0.5.4 update.

- Added Dossiers: Ivan Vaslov, McGuinness Elliott Cooke, Ernie Lloyd Sobatka, Terrence Lockhart, Harley Stone (all of them by Helmet Hair), Ilya Dolvich (by Warboy1982), Parvati Anand Foster, Dr. Able Standard (both by Ajnunezr), Lucifer Romanov, Martin Jakubko, The Shadowman and The Richter Sisters.
- Added Trauma Pack.
- Improved Prison Cells sprite.
- Fixed Uzi Clip acquisition.
- Fixed Staff of Heart Grip not appearing on enemies.
- Fixed MiB Agent knowing too much.
- Fixed Shadowbat body size.

Great!. Downloading xD
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 09:05:30 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline JeyP

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: January 24, 2017, 02:39:09 pm »
But aliens have been here for decades. No, I don't think it' a problem.

Ofcourse not, this is your vision and no matter what you do you'll never please everybody. But why only alter the original story and not creating totally new one. I had just a little different story vision in my mind. Summary: people don't know about aliens (so ufo don't show on geoscape), aliens have their representatives in governments in many countries and have military and scientific companies that work with state governments. All the strange events around the world is becouse they want to cover their movement and gain even more influence by provide science and military help to many nations. Nations try fight on their own but there is no end to these strange events so UN makes decisions to create x-com agency to explain these strange phenomena. Aliens ofcoures know about x-com, they try to complicate our lives and show that we are incompetent becouse closing the x-com would greatly increase their influence (Kiryu-Kai was terminated that way and aliens gain control over Japan). If we don't do or fail missions aliens gain influence in country/continent (we lose it so less funding from country that don't believe in our skills) and unconsciously turning toward aliens. Finding about aliens and all out battle is a different story. Carry on.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: January 24, 2017, 06:12:15 pm »
It's all fine, I'm not against new scenarios, but this isn't what I'm doing right now, plain and simple. :)

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
  • He who laughs last thinks fastest.
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: January 25, 2017, 05:01:15 pm »
Can't use trauma pack on self; feature or bug?

also.... I found this video...

https://youtu.be/FEV9zjHiICA?list=PL9e7gmwejeGpNRxXByZKvm1cfdEdXG9-s
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 09:29:07 pm by HelmetHair »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: January 25, 2017, 10:58:47 pm »
Can't use trauma pack on self; feature or bug?

Feature, since (in this simplified model) you can't operate on yourself, unless the medikit does it by itself (like spray, mutant plasma etc.).

also.... I found this video...

https://youtu.be/FEV9zjHiICA?list=PL9e7gmwejeGpNRxXByZKvm1cfdEdXG9-s

I'll watch it later. :)

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: January 26, 2017, 12:31:31 am »
Okay then... I'll need a bigger health spray then also :) That is what makes health spray so useful is the ability to use it on yourself especially in early missions where people are always getting shot and messed up.

Also, I appear to be missing armor? Where is the intermediate step between Kevlar and personal armor? Where is the earth technology plate carriers a step up from a Kevlar vest? Where are the durathread armors and the Alien alloy plates over durathread soft armor? The step between kevlar and personal armor seems huge with everything in between seeming to be inferior kevlar.  What am I missing?

promotion II... broke down and looked at the tech tree.

I'm not understanding the progression or something. How do I get to promotion II? I have literally shot aliens to death and provided corpses and provided working examples of alien technology including power source, alloys, and navigation. I think that pretty well proves that aliens exist and they are hostile :) What am I missing?

edit: dependence on creature spawn and live capture of only certain critters.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 01:50:05 am by HelmetHair »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: January 26, 2017, 12:42:53 am »
Have you hired a head researcher? They won't really listen to you about alien tech until you have an expert. Guessing you have a head engineer? Without someone like that, they don't care about all your babbling about alien gizmos. And better have an expert in alien language to prove it's real too.

Offline wolfreal

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: January 26, 2017, 08:28:52 pm »
Have you hired a head researcher? They won't really listen to you about alien tech until you have an expert. Guessing you have a head engineer? Without someone like that, they don't care about all your babbling about alien gizmos. And better have an expert in alien language to prove it's real too.

And you need all the criminals networks researched, so, try to capture people.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: January 26, 2017, 10:46:17 pm »
And you need all the criminals networks researched, so, try to capture people.

It's always good advice. :)

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: January 26, 2017, 10:57:37 pm »
Actually, it has to do with how dependencies of Mutant physiology and mission spawning (i.e. luck). Basically, if the "strange lifeform" missions don't spawn the right creatures , then you cannot obtain the chief researcher as what is required is a LIVE specimen of a particular few types. This is compounded by that a Sectoid autopsy does not trigger alien lifeforms and alien lifeforms doesn't trigger mutant physiology. This is of course because a live alien is needed for alien lifeform, but you can't get that without an alien containment which requires at its root....mutant physiology. So it's a giant painful and overly boring circle of waiting on a specific mission for an overly long period of time

I'm calling this one a bug for the reason that RNG can fuck you to death.

So, basically the fix is if you get an alien dead or alive, you get alien lifeforms, and alien lifeforms can trigger mutant physiology if you haven't got there already so you can get the head researcher for all staff contacted and thus Promotion II.

It's basically ruined this go at it... so I'm starting over because I'm in October of '98 and falling behind the score 8 ball because of RNG bullshit.

edited for clarity and tone
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 06:41:43 pm by HelmetHair »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.5.5 alpha: I'll Dissect You!
« Reply #884 on: January 30, 2017, 09:50:39 pm »
I'm calling this one a bug for the reason that RNG can fuck you to death.

To be completely honest, it never happened to me, I've always been swamped with all sorts of mutants. But I hear and recognize your problem, and I think you can relax - various steps were taken to rebalance the early game, so hopefully it'll be improved.

And now, 0.5.5 has been released! Get it here.

- Added Bio Laboratory.
- Added block RAILYARDURBAN28.
- Added Sabre (graphics by Dioxine).
- Added Dossiers:  Richard Roty, Owen Hoffer, Kim Harwell (all by Ivan Dogovich), Carlos Tanaka, Elias Seppä, Abeba Tewolde (all by Ajnunezr), Agent Trauma and Monica Grummann.
- Low-rank Dagon cultists see one tile further at night.
- Shadowbats attack slower.
- HQ is cheaper.
- Trauma Pack is better.
- Dogs are gated behind a research.
- Some new weapon sounds.
- Ridiculous research costs on some things are fixed.
- Medipacks train Bravery now (but sprays and gels don't).
- Fixed FN FAL available too early.
- Fixed a problem with block UBASE_19.
- Fixed retaliations.
- Varius minor fixes to the Ufopaedia.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 10:02:07 pm by Solarius Scorch »