Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1951769 times)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.5.2b alpha: Wings of Fury
« Reply #840 on: January 17, 2017, 01:50:35 pm »
While playing Version 0.5.2b (using the default OpenXCOM Extended 3.5+), I've encountered a crash which happens near the end of the month (when the clock approaches midnight). The save file in question is attached.

Game is starting the recon script (month=17)

Code: [Select]
  - type: recon
    firstMonth: 17

It generates a STR_ALIEN_FLYBY mission and wants to generate race for it.

- type: STR_ALIEN_FLYBY
    raceWeights:
      20:
          STR_SECTOID: 30
          STR_FLOATER: 70
      21:
          STR_SECTOID: 60
          STR_FLOATER: 40
      23:
          STR_SECTOID: 20
          STR_SNAKEMAN: 40
          STR_SNAKEMAN_SALAMANDRON: 20
          STR_FLOATER: 20
      30:
          STR_SECTOID: 10
          STR_SNAKEMAN: 5
          STR_SNAKEMAN_SALAMANDRON: 5
          STR_CEREBREAL: 10
          STR_ETHEREAL_CYBERDISC: 10
          STR_ETHEREAL: 10
          STR_MUTON: 10
          STR_GAZER: 30
          STR_FLOATER: 10
      35:
          STR_SECTOID: 7
          STR_SECTOID_SECTOPOD: 3
          STR_SNAKEMAN: 5
          STR_SNAKEMAN_SALAMANDRON: 5
          STR_CEREBREAL: 10
          STR_ETHEREAL_CYBERDISC: 10
          STR_ETHEREAL: 20
          STR_MUTON: 20
          STR_GAZER: 20
          STR_FLOATER: 10

However, there are no races available for month 17... only for 20+... so it crashes.

I recommend starting the definition with month 0, always...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #841 on: January 17, 2017, 01:57:56 pm »
Thanks.

Good point with starting on month 0, this is an artefact from earlier versions of the mod.

Open alienMissions_XCOMFILES, change that 20 to 0 and you'll be fine.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 03:19:34 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
  • He who laughs last thinks fastest.
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: January 17, 2017, 07:09:37 pm »
Awesome!

What did I miss while I almost died?

I'm downloading the new version of the X-com Files now... hopefully it ends up being better than I remember; that's not an insult.

Anyway, keep it cool boys....Real cool.

-HH

Offline firsttefl1

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: January 17, 2017, 08:58:34 pm »
Thanks.

Good point with starting on month 0, this is an artefact from earlier versions of the mod.

Open alienMissions_XCOMFILES, change that 20 to 0 and you'll be fine.

Thanks, now the game works properly (as for now).

Will the change mean that aliens would start appearing right  from the very beginning?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: January 17, 2017, 09:03:36 pm »
Will the change mean that aliens would start appearing right  from the very beginning?

No, that's regulated elsewhere - in regions and mission scripts.

Also, hi Helmet Hair! Welcome back.

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: January 17, 2017, 11:21:09 pm »
Crop circle missions are a real challenge, but also something very different.... I can dig it.

The cultist origin detainment missions are implemented well and they are kind of a good intro into how everything is supposed to work.

Madman terror site mission.... brilliant really; I really liked it, but the bad guy was assigned as being a red dawn ganger rather than some other type of kooky farmer or civillian etc. Is this by design? I'm curious to know if you are going to bring in more human enemies or expand on this mad man idea. So we have something similar to a pogram in Xpiratez but with crazies instead of dicks.

weapons are working as they should so far.

Light engine is working as it should with flashlights etc.

The added fluff and flavor is pretty good.

I only have one gripe....

Why does using the dog's senses cost morale? and why does it cost 20% I've had limited success because of this and it is REALLY annoying.

-HH

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: January 18, 2017, 01:31:49 am »
Many thanks for the kind words! Apparently there's progress.

the bad guy was assigned as being a red dawn ganger rather than some other type of kooky farmer or civillian etc. Is this by design?

There are several madman types, actually. None of them uses Red Dawn sprites though. :)

I'm curious to know if you are going to bring in more human enemies or expand on this mad man idea. So we have something similar to a pogram in Xpiratez but with crazies instead of dicks.

Yeah, gradually. I need to build more skeleton forst, but when it's done, I'll concentrate more on adding fun stuff. (I sort of did that already with early game and Hybrids.)

I only have one gripe....

Why does using the dog's senses cost morale? and why does it cost 20% I've had limited success because of this and it is REALLY annoying.

Because the working dog becomes restless and prone to, well, bolting to places. But it's only 10%, so killing stuff more than makes up for it. Besides, it helps training morale.

Offline JeyP

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: January 18, 2017, 01:51:15 am »
Hope that this time i will play beyond Rromotion II. Here are some questions, thoughts, mumblings...

1) Don't know if it was fixed but it was funny have 2 dogs at the beggining. You should see the cultist faces when they saw 2 dogs leaving the car :)

2) Why billhook from the start ? Don't look like weapon that would be used by agency like x-com and all items that are available from the start should have ufopedia entry already, agents should have atleast some basic training and know what it is.

3) Gym still too good ? Lower stats growth or maybe allow 1 gym per base on superhuman, 2 on genius, veteran, 3 on experienced beginner if possible.

4) Promotion I look poor compare to non standard weapons (NSW). Transfer short shotgun to NSW and shotgun to Promotion I. Make telescopic baton as starting weapon and transfer electric club to the Promotion I or leave it as it is and give tonfa on Promotion I. Hunting riffle look bad compare to shotgun with AP ammo so maybe give it 0.1-0.15 damage bonus from firing accuracy.

5) Riffles and especially sniper riffles should focuse on aim shoot but they work like any other weapons. I use it more like reaction fire/snap shoot sentry becouse snap shoot is to accurate, in this kind of weapons snap shoot should be made from hip and would be far less accurate, so lower accuracy of snap shoot. Probably some TU cost of aim shoot and damage alter would be necessary to. Different weapons handlings enrich gampley.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: January 18, 2017, 02:38:16 am »
1) Don't know if it was fixed but it was funny have 2 dogs at the beggining. You should see the cultist faces when they saw 2 dogs leaving the car :)

It's fixed now... It made some people sad, though.

2) Why billhook from the start ? Don't look like weapon that would be used by agency like x-com and all items that are available from the start should have ufopedia entry already, agents should have atleast some basic training and know what it is.

Please, not this again. :P

But why did you ask about Billhook specifically? Why not Axe, Machete etc.?

3) Gym still too good ? Lower stats growth or maybe allow 1 gym per base on superhuman, 2 on genius, veteran, 3 on experienced beginner if possible.

That's not doable... But I don't really think it's too good. (I already nerfed it twice.) Yes, it trains people, but 1) only to a certain level (not to maximum!), 2) not all stats, 3) it's small. I find it adequate.

4) Promotion I look poor compare to non standard weapons (NSW).

Well, yeah. But it leads somewhere, not just gives you a new weapon or two.

Transfer short shotgun to NSW and shotgun to Promotion I. Make telescopic baton as starting weapon and transfer electric club to the Promotion I or leave it as it is and give tonfa on Promotion I.

I could do that, but I'll need to think about it further. I'm just not convinced this is a better solution. I understand you suggest to make Promotion I better, but I don't really want this - it's an investment.

Hunting riffle look bad compare to shotgun with AP ammo so maybe give it 0.1-0.15 damage bonus from firing accuracy.

Umm, have you tried shooting across the map with a shotgun? Well, you can with a hunting rifle, even with poorish firing accuracy. These weapons are completely incomparable; and I know there are hunting rifle fans.

5) Riffles and especially sniper riffles should focuse on aim shoot but they work like any other weapons. I use it more like reaction fire/snap shoot sentry becouse snap shoot is to accurate, in this kind of weapons snap shoot should be made from hip and would be far less accurate, so lower accuracy of snap shoot. Probably some TU cost of aim shoot and damage alter would be necessary to. Different weapons handlings enrich gampley.

But sniper rifles typically have rather poor accuracy on snap shots. I can't see how they're used as reaction weapons - to me it seems like a weird choice. And regarding rifles, well - which ones? It's a broad category. But unlike sniper rifles, they aren't made for aimed shots specifically, it's a versatile weapon category.

Anyway, in the next version sniper rifles will also have bonus vs. armour, because I thought them too weak.

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: January 18, 2017, 06:10:51 pm »
1.What are the stat limits on training in the GYM now?

2. Have you thought of maybe including an intermediate type of laboratory that allows more scientists that doesn't cost like 4 million dollars? Especially with the crazy amount of research you have added since I seriously played... it's a bit overwhelming.

3. Dogs are pretty neat, but the morale thing just feels wonky... maybe it's just me  :)

4. tons of new enemies.... cool. Werewolves haven't really been anything other than bullet sponges because of the terrain. Are they mean and nasty? Chupas are still massive dicks though.

JeyP,

Promotion I is pretty poor if you look at it from a standpoint of "Ok, NOW I'M LEVELED UP"!! However, it's really a case of the now being eligible to level up... Like alternate Advancement in Everquest, but that's showing my age.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: January 18, 2017, 06:21:17 pm »
1.What are the stat limits on training in the GYM now?

Here's the max stats for gym training:

tu: 70
      stamina: 100
      health: 55
      bravery: 100
      reactions: 70
      firing: 80
      throwing: 70
      strength: 60
      psiStrength: 100
      psiSkill: 100
      melee: 80

And here's max stats for battle (and piloting!) training:

tu: 80
      stamina: 100
      health: 70
      bravery: 100
      reactions: 100
      firing: 120
      throwing: 90
      strength: 70
      psiStrength: 100
      psiSkill: 100
      melee: 120

Actually the difference isn't huge, so maybe I should put a bit more limit on gym training.

(This is about human agents; dogs have different values.)

2. Have you thought of maybe including an intermediate type of laboratory that allows more scientists that doesn't cost like 4 million dollars? Especially with the crazy amount of research you have added since I seriously played... it's a bit overwhelming.

But the entire point is to unlock the normal lab and force you to use just 5 people earlier... In the current version you have so much money you an build several HQs per base. But the next version should give you more financial trouble, so we'll see how it works out. I'm always open to suggestions.

3. Dogs are pretty neat, but the morale thing just feels wonky... maybe it's just me  :)

I think it's balanced as it is, but of course some people will like it more, some less. :) I wouldn't want to make the dogs too good, it would be awkward.

4. tons of new enemies.... cool. Werewolves haven't really been anything other than bullet sponges because of the terrain. Are they mean and nasty? Chupas are still massive dicks though.

Yeah... And I'd like some more critters still. :) I plan to steal Robin's Multiworm, but it will only appear in caves and maybe other underground locations, when/if I get to that "Underdark" arc (with Reptoids and such).

Promotion I is pretty poor if you look at it from a standpoint of "Ok, NOW I'M LEVELED UP"!! However, it's really a case of the now being eligible to level up... Like alternate Advancement in Everquest, but that's showing my age.

Yeah, it's mostly a gating tech. It allows you to research and use new stuff.

Offline JeyP

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: January 18, 2017, 08:24:49 pm »
Please, not this again. :P

But why did you ask about Billhook specifically? Why not Axe, Machete etc.?

Don't have problem with acquiring new weapons but billhook is avaliable for purchase from the beginning. Knife and combat knife are more than enough btw add knife to the ufopedia we can buy it so should know what it is.

That's not doable... But I don't really think it's too good. (I already nerfed it twice.) Yes, it trains people, but 1) only to a certain level (not to maximum!), 2) not all stats, 3) it's small. I find it adequate.

Now when i know what the max stats are gym looks better, thought they are bigger. Guess i need to learn what files have interesting infos/values.

Umm, have you tried shooting across the map with a shotgun? Well, you can with a hunting rifle, even with poorish firing accuracy. These weapons are completely incomparable; and I know there are hunting rifle fans.

Thats the whole point beouse sniper like weapons should focus on aim shot but i don't feel like it is a good choice to use it becouse only one shot that can miss even with 100%++ chnce to hit vs 2-3 snaps that are quite accurate. Maybe its only my problem but when sniper rifle have 70%+ snap shoot accuracy i wil fight with it in middle range and not as a sniper rifle. Long story short i feel that sniper like wepons should have 30-50% snap shoot accuracy. Just a suggestion. I will change simple things like that for my liking anyway.

But sniper rifles typically have rather poor accuracy on snap shots. I can't see how they're used as reaction weapons - to me it seems like a weird choice. And regarding rifles, well - which ones? It's a broad category. But unlike sniper rifles, they aren't made for aimed shots specifically, it's a versatile weapon category.

Different play style for me it a waste of soldiers capability making aim shoots when you have good snap and 70%+ is far from poor on a soldier with 100+ firing accuracy. Yeah rifles can have good snap shot because of lower damage compared to sniper rifles so they are ok.

One more thing maybe add car/van inventory avaliable from every green square. We offten fight with a lot of enemys and use car/van as a cover so would be nice to have acces to the inventory from both sides. It's not crucial but like i said would be nice.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 08:32:07 pm by JeyP »

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: January 18, 2017, 10:15:50 pm »
Man,  freaking beetle missions take forever... of course the there is usually 30-33 of them and I have to expend over 500 rounds of ammunition to kill them all. I mean HOLY SHIT I had to shoot the fuck out of those things.

It's getting a touch grindy but I can dig it.

So much research...

-HH

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: January 18, 2017, 10:18:42 pm »
Beetles, zombies, giant scorpions, different creatures, same tense shootout every time.  Then he throws things that can shoot back at you in those kinds of numbers...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.5.3 alpha: Boom, Headshot!
« Reply #854 on: January 19, 2017, 02:23:31 am »
Don't have problem with acquiring new weapons but billhook is avaliable for purchase from the beginning. Knife and combat knife are more than enough btw add knife to the ufopedia we can buy it so should know what it is.

Ah OK, I get it now... Yeah, these are bugs. Fixing.

Now when i know what the max stats are gym looks better, thought they are bigger. Guess i need to learn what files have interesting infos/values.

I wonder if the gym max stats aren't too high... They probably are. :P

Thats the whole point beouse sniper like weapons should focus on aim shot but i don't feel like it is a good choice to use it becouse only one shot that can miss even with 100%++ chnce to hit vs 2-3 snaps that are quite accurate. Maybe its only my problem but when sniper rifle have 70%+ snap shoot accuracy i wil fight with it in middle range and not as a sniper rifle. Long story short i feel that sniper like wepons should have 30-50% snap shoot accuracy. Just a suggestion. I will change simple things like that for my liking anyway.

I totally get this, that's why I gave sniper weapons an armour defeating bonus in the next update. If it doesn't help, I'll have to rethink the entire sniper rifle philosophy. (Or make bigger maps.)

Different play style for me it a waste of soldiers capability making aim shoots when you have good snap and 70%+ is far from poor on a soldier with 100+ firing accuracy. Yeah rifles can have good snap shot because of lower damage compared to sniper rifles so they are ok.

Yeah, that's why Arasaka is so good. :P I don't think the balance is bad in this regard, though. But I'm open to criticism.

One more thing maybe add car/van inventory avaliable from every green square. We offten fight with a lot of enemys and use car/van as a cover so would be nice to have acces to the inventory from both sides. It's not crucial but like i said would be nice.

Only one square can be used as stash... I can move it to a different one, but can't spread items between several ones.

Man,  freaking beetle missions take forever... of course the there is usually 30-33 of them and I have to expend over 500 rounds of ammunition to kill them all. I mean HOLY SHIT I had to shoot the fuck out of those things.

It's getting a touch grindy but I can dig it.

So much research...

-HH

Yeah, it happens, but most battles are much shorter. I like me a long battle - once in a while.

Beetles, zombies, giant scorpions, different creatures, same tense shootout every time.  Then he throws things that can shoot back at you in those kinds of numbers...

Usually a smaller number! Usually. :P

EDIT:

Version 0.5.3 was released.

- Added Staff of Heart Grip.
- All sniper rifles now have 25% armor penetration.
- Added synthetizing Blood Plasma from Elerium.
- Rebalanced value for various units.
- Added City Boy and Salamandron paperdolls.
- Slightly decreased number of enemies in Temple of Dagon.
- Fixed alien base spawning.
- Fixed Alien Flyby mission crash.
- Fixed some starting weapons' acquisition.

EDIT:

The file had an error, so I reuploaded it. Please download 0.5.3 again if you did it already.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 04:20:10 am by Solarius Scorch »