aliens

Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1950545 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.4.2 alpha: Going Postal
« Reply #630 on: November 16, 2016, 10:20:44 pm »
Just popping in to ask a question:
How do I research alien alloys? I'm in August 1999 and have done plenty of landed and crashed UFO missions. I have nuclear laser rifles, researched elerium, all that stuff.
But despite having tons of alien alloys in storage, I still can't do anything related to alloys. Is it some key mission that hasn't happened yet or an interrogation I need to do..?

Hello and welcome,

Alien Alloys require Laboratory, Workshop and Durathread. (The first two for the scientific/industrial power, the latter because it contains a more accessible version of Alien Alloys to start from.)

(Also, just a bit of a side question, but is there actually TFTD [underwater] content in this? It seems like there is based on what some people are saying, various ufopedia entries, and some usable-underwater equipment, but it definitely seems like that's not possible.)

Yes, there are some underwater missions - an entire arc, in fact. It's somewhat skeletal, but perfectly playable. Church of Dagon will lead you there.

Offline Chiefwaffles

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: November 16, 2016, 10:50:31 pm »
Huh. I believe I already eliminated the Church of Dagon. Their HQ had some deep ones, but there wasn't any underwater stuff.

But thanks for the answers! I'll just assume that durathread is in the hybrid arc, since that just appeared.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: November 16, 2016, 11:01:30 pm »
Huh. I believe I already eliminated the Church of Dagon. Their HQ had some deep ones, but there wasn't any underwater stuff.

Have you interrogated any Deep Ones?

But thanks for the answers! I'll just assume that durathread is in the hybrid arc, since that just appeared.

No, it's related to the Red Dawn.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 12:42:10 am by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Chiefwaffles

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: November 17, 2016, 12:37:49 am »
Have you interrogated any Deep Ones?
...Oh. That'd do it. RIP.

No, it's related to the Red Dawn.
Of course, the one cult I've ignored (out of apathy).

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate the answers.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: November 17, 2016, 12:43:59 am »
...Oh. That'd do it. RIP.

I should add an option to get a Deep One even if you destroy the Church of Dagon.

Of course, the one cult I've ignored (out of apathy).

Yeah I know, they're tough :P

And now, the news:

EDIT: Version 0.4.2 has been released!

- Added a male Pioneer variant.
- Fixed another critical bug with Homicidal Maniac missions.
- Fixed a corrupted Reptoid sprite.
- Fixed a crash on Port and Steppe terrains.
- Fixed a bug with unavailable Psi Lab.
- Fixed unsellable Interceptor.

As you can see, it's almost entirely bugfixes. Also, probably the last update before the new OXCE+ version.

Offline mrbiasha

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: November 17, 2016, 06:54:05 am »
I should add an option to get a Deep One even if you destroy the Church of Dagon.

Strongly yes for such an option, some sort of coastal village raid or something like that.

As you can see, it's almost entirely bugfixes. Also, probably the last update before the new OXCE+ version.

Would it mean any serious changes or delays for your mod or you are just keeping up to date?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: November 17, 2016, 10:27:55 am »
Strongly yes for such an option, some sort of coastal village raid or something like that.

Yes, this has actually been in the plan for quite some time but kinda got forgotten...

Would it mean any serious changes or delays for your mod or you are just keeping up to date?

Probably no special delays.

Offline LuigiWhatif

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: November 19, 2016, 08:49:54 am »
How are you meant to access the cannons?  I researched the light cannon and contacted M.A.G.M.A but I only have the option to buy more light cannons and no ammunition.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: November 19, 2016, 12:35:02 pm »
How are you meant to access the cannons?  I researched the light cannon and contacted M.A.G.M.A but I only have the option to buy more light cannons and no ammunition.

For now, it requires finding and researching the Heavy Cannon.

Offline mrbiasha

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: November 19, 2016, 01:27:33 pm »
As I understood, quite a lot of top-end Earth-tech weapons require finding one from enemies, MiB for example.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: November 20, 2016, 12:58:00 am »
As I understood, quite a lot of top-end Earth-tech weapons require finding one from enemies, MiB for example.

Yes, probably most weapons actually. Though you also keep getting better stuff on promotions.

Offline Dreamsicle

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: November 20, 2016, 06:59:18 pm »
So I've got the Red Dawn HQ mission and I've having lot's of trouble doing it in a Dragonfly. Do I need to do this mission to advance to Phase 3 and presumably a Skyranger? If the answer is no, does the mission come back if it disappears?

Great mod overall though. I really like how it progresses.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: November 20, 2016, 07:28:39 pm »
No, you don't need to do the mission straight away; it should spawn regularly (though the location may change, since their verhushka is moving a lot). So take your time to prepare.

And no, you don't necessarily beat to beat the Red Dawn to advance to III. You must however beat
Spoiler:
al least one starting cult - Red Dawn is one of them, but some other may prove easier to defeat.

So good luck, and see you on the fun level! :D

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: November 20, 2016, 07:45:20 pm »
I've found EXALT to be the easiest to deal with in my experience. Generally, weak units with insane damage you can deal with (by tactics to avoid being shot, and killing them before they kill you) but tough units, even with comparatively lower damage, are more of a pain because you can't drop them before they shoot you as reliably.

The church and red dawn both have tough units, and the black lotus have wtfpwn assassins (Camo is WAY worse than being tough, I still hate them :P Maybe in my next playthrough I'll hate them less, especially now that I realized Exo-Armor, with it's cutting resist, is probably the thing to wear when facing them).

More hardware and more people will certainly help with the HQs.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: November 20, 2016, 08:19:39 pm »
Thanks Arthanor, I was wondering myself which one would be easiest. If I were to choose, I'd probably say Dagon, but as you said, they can be troublesome too. EXALT has tough basic troops, which is why I don't like fighting them, so I'm a bit surprised you haven't complained about that. (On the other hand, Dagon and Red Dawn people have less armour, but generally more health too.)

Also this post from Yankes' thread:

queue XComFiles crazy mission where there is an explosive set for 25 turns somewhere on the map, with enough power and radius to raze the whole place, which you must find and throw in a deep, deep hole somewhere on the map to save everyone. :D

Yeah, or just shoot everyone like usual. :P

It's a fairly interesting idea though! The bomb would have to be indestructible too, but okay - this can be done. I'd do it, if only for the sake of having a bottomless pit, something like 30 levels deep, to throw stuff I want to get rid off. :P

(Yeah, I always wanted a bit more life simulation in X-Com. Like, who's dating whom, or that these three agents go play snooker together. Dwarf Fortress kinda give you this, despite its shortcomings.)