Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1949972 times)

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
  • He who laughs last thinks fastest.
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.4.2 alpha: Going Postal
« Reply #195 on: August 09, 2016, 03:54:31 am »
Actually detention it appears to be bugged. I've attached two screen shots and will describe the situation.

In the "detention center" It does not show zombies, fat zombies, or infectors, mongorn savages etc.

Thus I can't kill them to get their sweet sweet blood plasma to inject into my own dudes on missions.

Gehey....

Also,

1. Armadillo 3K is way too good.

2. How come I have samples of hyper advanced weaponry that I cannot research it. That completely ruins the effort I spent in obtaining it. Please, don't give me any "it's illegal" bullshit.

3. How the FUCK do you justify not giving access to all earth weapons when you have trusted officers burning people alive. I can't get good funs beause. "illegality"?? FUCKING STUPID.

4. Ninjas are silly cliches that make me almost want to quit playing.... well done. :)

More to follow... need food and beer.

-HH

edited because it is edited...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 03:57:00 am by HelmetHair »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #196 on: August 09, 2016, 10:30:09 am »
Actually detention it appears to be bugged. I've attached two screen shots and will describe the situation.

In the "detention center" It does not show zombies, fat zombies, or infectors, mongorn savages etc.

Thus I can't kill them to get their sweet sweet blood plasma to inject into my own dudes on missions.

Gehey....

This is strange, but potentially good news: I've always wanted for human prisoners to not take up space in the Alien Containment. Because it's called Alien Containment.

Do these non-alien monsters take up space in the Alien Containment?
Can they be sold?

Also,

1. Armadillo 3K is way too good.

Arma-what? What mod were you playing? -_-

2. How come I have samples of hyper advanced weaponry that I cannot research it. That completely ruins the effort I spent in obtaining it. Please, don't give me any "it's illegal" bullshit.

Depends. Which weaponry?
And if illegal stuff is bullshit to you, then maybe you picked a wrong organization to lead. :P

3. How the FUCK do you justify not giving access to all earth weapons when you have trusted officers burning people alive. I can't get good funs beause. "illegality"?? FUCKING STUPID.

Not my problem.

4. Ninjas are silly cliches that make me almost want to quit playing.... well done. :)

Thank you. :)
BTW Meridian has just upgraded his .exe by adding more options for invisibility. The ninjas are likely getting a makeover.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 11:03:49 am by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Drasnighta

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 09, 2016, 08:11:26 pm »
The Ninjas were why I stopped playing...

...  Well, where I stopped playing for 3-4 hours at a time, and instead, spread the ONE OUTPOST FIGHT over 1 hour per day for 6 days, because they would last forever...

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 10, 2016, 05:59:05 pm »
This is strange, but potentially good news: I've always wanted for human prisoners to not take up space in the Alien Containment. Because it's called Alien Containment.
Do these non-alien monsters take up space in the Alien Containment?
Can they be sold?

That would be fine if they showed up to my base as corpses after a mission because I didn't have an "alien containment", but they don't. I would even accept the extra step of corpsifying them in the afteraction screen. I need their corpses, but can't make them corpses. Unless I can research a blood plasma prison or get more plasma units by actively sucking a monster dry.... morbid.

I don't have an Alien Containment as of yet, but a Detention Center and no, Monsters do not take up space in a Detention center, but can be sold.
I will update you when I build an Alien Containment.

Arma-what? What mod were you playing? -_-

You mean this isn't the TEX-COM Files? ??? Shit, my bad .... :)

But the Arasaka 3000 is a top tier piece of gear that turns a mediocre marksman into a tyrant. Cool. There is no point in using anything else with experinced agents....yet. 4-8 dudes shooting dots out dice at 100 yards in the driving rain at night.

Depends. Which weaponry?

Alloy ammunition, Laser, Gauss, and Plasma weapons...all of them. I've also have samples of all of them. I also have had sundry alien technology for months and can't research it. UFO Navigations, UFO power sources, examination rooms, alloys, mind probes etc

And if illegal stuff is bullshit to you, then maybe you picked a wrong organization to lead. :P

So true....so many Europeans, so little asprin.  ;)

Not my problem.

Mostly true...  But all my melodramatic pseudo vitriol aside I belieive you ultimatley want to provide a fun and rewarding experience, right?

Now, for tons of people having a logically consistent story driven operational doctrine that follows through a particular phase of the invasion and changes with hard demarcations to clue the player in is rewarding. You are 4.5/5 there.

Most of the available starting equipment is truly abhorrent but just good enough to motivate you to find better. Promotion I and Promotion II are kind of meh in personal equipment and there are a few unreasonable holes in terrestrial equipment, as well as weapon descriptions that obviously came straight off of /k/... I'm looking at you SA80.

It is still nice to feel you are progressing and you're accomplishing something. Which for the most part I feel is reasonably done. It's the fringes that irk the shit out of me because of the extreme care taken in some areas and slop in others... However, I do realize that mileage will vary for other people and this is a work in progress. Polished flavor text is something I know you are working on.

An example of one of these irks....

Cardboard cut out lady endangers the entire project for personal gratifacation.

A simple research interrogation nets me "I obviously decided to burn this guy alive because he's an evil sumbitch and you can't prove we did it neener neener". What purpose does that serve? Does it make me like or respect a character who is still a useless cardboard cut out to me? What are you as a storyteller trying to convey to me as the audience? What are you trying to make me feel? Satisfaction? Remorse? Pity? Respect? None of these come to me and instead feel you shoehorning me into harboring a monster. I'm afraid I can't relate to her one dimensional badgrrrrl rectal haberdashery. Maybe why so many interrogations are not as productive as they could be is because my interrogator is a reckless psychopathic monster.  :o This is your problem as the storyteller!

Another Irk...

Cult arms dealers netted me the ability to purchase one weapon. Granted it is overpowered, but arms in use around the world and likely a ton easier to obtain because they are already also being sold by the same arms dealer? Okay... I guess. By the time I was actually able to get at "high grade" military equipment via promotion II; it was outmoded by the one rifle I was able to obtain (A3k) by the cult arms dealer. Mixed bag I guess. I want your specific comment on this one please. Where are the Light Cannons, Grenade launchers etc? from the military attache? or cult connection?  Honestly, seeing some comments by other people I know that there are entire swaths of the tech tree I never saw or had a chance to see. There was a time I couldn't buy ammo for the two most common service rifles in the world with hundreds of millions of units in the world.... But could get an all I can eat buffet of some secret squirrel rifle in some weird caliber with unique magazines at my door in 24 hours? That's annoying.

Yet another Irk...

Weapon info and traits.... they are all over the place, such as.

.45ACP does as much damage as 7.62x39? 3 times the energy in 7.62 and heck of a lot more penetrating power by shape and diamater. Vests that can stop multiple hits of .45 ACP will not stop 7.62x39. I laugh at this one everytime I play.

5.8mm machine pistol. Why 5.8? the only 5.8 ammunition for this purpose is 3g and not 2g. 5.7 would be correct and fit the time period, but frankly why not an FN P90?

Slow reload with weapons that are really quick and easy to reload and fast reload on weapons that are difficult.

genuine head scratchers sometimes.

Oh and I'm super flush with cash.... Like I have 50+ million and basically nothing to spend it on. Suggestions?

Now the good...

Great idea, good execution, fun to play, difficult enough to keep my attention.

Have a great day!

-HH

edited for clarity???

« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 06:08:21 pm by HelmetHair »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 10, 2016, 07:13:32 pm »
That would be fine if they showed up to my base as corpses after a mission because I didn't have an "alien containment", but they don't. I would even accept the extra step of corpsifying them in the afteraction screen. I need their corpses, but can't make them corpses. Unless I can research a blood plasma prison or get more plasma units by actively sucking a monster dry.... morbid.

Yeah I know, I like this part. :)
Anyway, yes, your problem is a real one... Bummer. Again, can anyone else shed some light?

I don't have an Alien Containment as of yet, but a Detention Center and no, Monsters do not take up space in a Detention center, but can be sold.
I will update you when I build an Alien Containment.

Unfortunately it's the same thing, I only changed the name to reflect on the fact you also keep humans there (and monsters from the Twilight Zone). I wish it would be possible.

But the Arasaka 3000 is a top tier piece of gear that turns a mediocre marksman into a tyrant. Cool. There is no point in using anything else with experinced agents....yet. 4-8 dudes shooting dots out dice at 100 yards in the driving rain at night.

That's OK, I've already heard a couple of "no point using anything else" comments... About various different items of course. Dioxine hears it all the time, because Piratez is such a huge mod.

Alloy ammunition, Laser, Gauss, and Plasma weapons...all of them. I've also have samples of all of them. I also have had sundry alien technology for months and can't research it. UFO Navigations, UFO power sources, examination rooms, alloys, mind probes etc

Most of these you can't research yet because you don't meet the prerequisites. It's not about regulations, it's because your scientists need to understand more first.

With the next edition I expect the path to the Alien Engineering be a bit shorter.

So true....so many Europeans, so little asprin.  ;)
Mostly true...  But all my melodramatic pseudo vitriol aside I belieive you ultimatley want to provide a fun and rewarding experience, right?

Of course, so I'll explain better. I never received another complaint that the weapon access blockade is unrealistic. I've heard many complaints from a few people, but not this one. So maybe they were too polite, or maybe, I don't know, stupid, but I think it's a safe bet that it's at least not too bad.
Of course I listen to your opinions too. But I can't/don't want to just throw everything out of the window because of something I'm not even sure is bad.

Most of the available starting equipment is truly abhorrent but just good enough to motivate you to find better. Promotion I and Promotion II are kind of meh in personal equipment and there are a few unreasonable holes in terrestrial equipment, as well as weapon descriptions that obviously came straight off of /k/... I'm looking at you SA80.

Maybe, I've never been at /k/ lol :) Actually I can't remember reading real life weapon descriptions at all, so whatever you have seen there, it must've come from my own, black soul. :)

It is still nice to feel you are progressing and you're accomplishing something. Which for the most part I feel is reasonably done. It's the fringes that irk the shit out of me because of the extreme care taken in some areas and slop in others... However, I do realize that mileage will vary for other people and this is a work in progress. Polished flavor text is something I know you are working on.

Yes, thanks for the understanding. I really have way too little time for this... I'm doing what I can!

An example of one of these irks....

Cardboard cut out lady endangers the entire project for personal gratifacation.

A simple research interrogation nets me "I obviously decided to burn this guy alive because he's an evil sumbitch and you can't prove we did it neener neener". What purpose does that serve? Does it make me like or respect a character who is still a useless cardboard cut out to me? What are you as a storyteller trying to convey to me as the audience? What are you trying to make me feel? Satisfaction? Remorse? Pity? Respect? None of these come to me and instead feel you shoehorning me into harboring a monster. I'm afraid I can't relate to her one dimensional badgrrrrl rectal haberdashery. Maybe why so many interrogations are not as productive as they could be is because my interrogator is a reckless psychopathic monster.  :o This is your problem as the storyteller!

No, it was a stupid joke.
I'm not saying it was a good one. But to be honest, I plan to add way more. Otherwise it'll be way too grimdark far what it is: a pastiche of the 90's.

Cult arms dealers netted me the ability to purchase one weapon. Granted it is overpowered, but arms in use around the world and likely a ton easier to obtain because they are already also being sold by the same arms dealer? Okay... I guess. By the time I was actually able to get at "high grade" military equipment via promotion II; it was outmoded by the one rifle I was able to obtain (A3k) by the cult arms dealer. Mixed bag I guess. I want your specific comment on this one please. Where are the Light Cannons, Grenade launchers etc? from the military attache? or cult connection?  Honestly, seeing some comments by other people I know that there are entire swaths of the tech tree I never saw or had a chance to see. There was a time I couldn't buy ammo for the two most common service rifles in the world with hundreds of millions of units in the world.... But could get an all I can eat buffet of some secret squirrel rifle in some weird caliber with unique magazines at my door in 24 hours? That's annoying.

Yeah, it's a bit gamey. I've decided it's not so bad in this case... But not perfect either. It's just a concept, like Electro-Flares or Medikits. Not even trying to be realistic.

Weapon info and traits.... they are all over the place, such as.

.45ACP does as much damage as 7.62x39? 3 times the energy in 7.62 and heck of a lot more penetrating power by shape and diamater. Vests that can stop multiple hits of .45 ACP will not stop 7.62x39. I laugh at this one everytime I play.

I hate to dump the responsibility onto other people, but the truth is I've taken the stats from Dioxine. :) Because 1) he knows way more about weapons than me and 2) his choices were carefully balanced and tested. So... I have nothing else to say.

5.8mm machine pistol. Why 5.8? the only 5.8 ammunition for this purpose is 3g and not 2g. 5.7 would be correct and fit the time period, but frankly why not an FN P90?

Because Ryskeliini (who made this weapon) said so, and I saw no reason to argue.

Slow reload with weapons that are really quick and easy to reload and fast reload on weapons that are difficult.

genuine head scratchers sometimes.

Examples? I'm really willing to change it if necessary.

Oh and I'm super flush with cash.... Like I have 50+ million and basically nothing to spend it on. Suggestions?

There will be more in the next version. :P For now, just... spam scientists, I guess?

Now the good...

Great idea, good execution, fun to play, difficult enough to keep my attention.

Have a great day!

Thanks! You too!

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 11, 2016, 01:31:46 am »
OH!

something else I ran across.... Even though I hadn't researched any MIB technology only corpses which netted me seemingly nothing, I was suddenly able to manufacture reworked MIB armor.... for enemies I haven't even encountered yet. Weirdness.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 11, 2016, 10:49:54 am »
OH!

something else I ran across.... Even though I hadn't researched any MIB technology only corpses which netted me seemingly nothing, I was suddenly able to manufacture reworked MIB armor.... for enemies I haven't even encountered yet. Weirdness.

Thanks. It's easy to fix, but the entire MiB stuff is still in tatters.

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 11, 2016, 05:14:41 pm »
Sol,
I'm just going to make you a list and go through all the ufopedia entries and let you decide if any edits are good. Yes, I  am a pedantic fuckhead but I'm a passionate.

I'll respond at length to your previous post later.

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 12, 2016, 07:51:57 pm »
That's OK, I've already heard a couple of "no point using anything else" comments... About various different items of course. Dioxine hears it all the time, because Piratez is such a huge mod.

I don't care about what Dioxine hears about Piratez. You are not Dioxine and this is not Piratez. This tech tree is a sprawling maze with no real way to be sure you are progressing or heading into a blind alley. I can say there is no point in using anything else because I've yet to run across anything that matches any category of accuracy or damage....for 18 months in game. I've got over 1000 kills with it, If I had access to something better I would use it.

Most of these you can't research yet because you don't meet the prerequisites. It's not about regulations, it's because your scientists need to understand more first.

I figured. Honesty, I was being an ass. However, even after I got alien engineering I was unable to research alien technology at all without rubber hosing another half dozen more aliens and even now I have literally only been able to crack one alien weapon...whose ufopedia entry is bugged. le sigh. This is epecially annoying because MIBs which have been stated as being human using human gear and if it can be made by man, it can be unmade by man...I am making a big assumption there though. :o

With the next edition I expect the path to the Alien Engineering be a bit shorter.

Cool... replication of alien tech is one thing,that is mastery. However, you should be able to research EVERY item immediately... I didn't say "be able to use it" but study it. And in some instances like alien alloys you can say " yeah it's really cool, but unworkable to us right now" and then later get the ability to use, manufacture, etc.

Of course, so I'll explain better. I never received another complaint that the weapon access blockade is unrealistic. I've heard many complaints from a few people, but not this one. So maybe they were too polite, or maybe, I don't know, stupid, but I think it's a safe bet that it's at least not too bad.
Of course I listen to your opinions too. But I can't/don't want to just throw everything out of the window because of something I'm not even sure is bad.

I want to be clear. I am not right, and you are not wrong.

I don't expect you to toss the idea, because everyone has limits. You are attempting to progress a story where an organization moves from 2poopy police to an elite fighting force. You should use every tool at your disposal, but expect I you not to hand wave "regulations" or "illegal". That is weak storytelling and does not have a foundation in reality...to a point. I expect you make the limits strong and be sensical and use them and break them to further the story and keep the difficulty right where it needs to be and use limits as both as a carrot and a stick to encourage your players to be uncomfortable, but not overwhelmed by the difficulty.

You have it broken up into huge bites. Why not make a few small bites, and a few big bites for a steadier progression with breakthroughs that are still rewarding?

Now, why does no one else complain?

Well, a few possibilities ...

1.Demonstrated thoughtless ignorance that is typical of most Europeans in regards to firearms and their availabilty; Couple that with stereotyping by Europeans of Americans and suddenly facts are irrelevant and opinions unconsidered based simply on the preconceived notions that some attempt to belittle others with... Including by the very person you qoute as being an authority on weapons.

So it does something like this....

"YOU ARE QUESTIONING ME!?!?!?! HAHAHAHAHAHA! SILLY AMERICAN!"

No one likes that....But, seeing as I'm from planet USA none of that matters.  ;)

Ok, I'll get off my cross.... :D

2. Others are more polite than I am.

3. I am willing to ask questions, look stupid, or otherwise annoy the shit out of ANYONE in search of what I like.

4. They can't or won't analyze their situation and resources.

5. They can't use logic, or at least won't out loud.

6. I'm a pedantic fuckwit.

An example...

An oversight of no Kevlar vests is silly. Joke flavor text, whatever you try to use to justify it... It is ridiculous. There were very few regulations on purchasing body armor in  very few countries at the time period of this mod (and today). If cops in the third world can get a vest a UN taskforce should too. It doesn't have to be a good vest, just something that gives a reasonable chance of surviving being shot with a pistol. You can always add a few steps to the armor tree.

Not having AK 47s initially is reasonable because X-Com is an investigational unit, right?  So pistols, shotguns, smoke grenades, tasers are all legit.... like regular police in most of the world. But, research into the most common rifles, grenades exsplosives etc should be available piecemeal and as a promotion chunk. So we can simulate our dudes fighting to get decent gear as an underfunded and misunderstood bastard child locked under the stairs to allow the players to scale as needed to defeat the threats placed in front of them.

It becomes obvious that the cultists are up to no good and heavily armed and so getting comparable gear like AKs,MP5s M16s and plate carriers would be a priority.Bubbas hunting rifle should not be considered a primo piece of equipment to an international interdiction unit taking on Rothschild/ Rockafeller backed drug dealing artistocrat super terrorists.

When hyper advanced weaponry and tanks are coming on to the field to directly hinder you... all the stops must go. RPGs, LMGs, Demo packs. Single shot rocket launchers etc.

Maybe, I've never been at /k/ lol :) Actually I can't remember reading real life weapon descriptions at all, so whatever you have seen there, it must've come from my own, black soul. :)

No... it must be the pure psychic stink of the place exuding into reality. I have to buy a flamethrower now....

No, it was a stupid joke.
I'm not saying it was a good one. But to be honest, I plan to add way more. Otherwise it'll be way too grimdark far what it is: a pastiche of the 90's.

My bad.

Yeah, it's a bit gamey. I've decided it's not so bad in this case... But not perfect either. It's just a concept, like Electro-Flares or Medikits. Not even trying to be realistic.

Well... it is a game. However, maybe more arms dealers?Maybe more topics that feel like we are slowly eking out an advantage against the cultists until the paradigm shift of the MIB and the first wave aliens.

I hate to dump the responsibility onto other people, but the truth is I've taken the stats from Dioxine. :) Because 1) he knows way more about weapons than me and 2) his choices were carefully balanced and tested. So... I have nothing else to say.

Your mod, your responsibility. :)
Accurate refection of relative weapon power is important, but not penultimate.... that's all I'm saying. It doesn't have to be a super realistic in correllation as in 3x more powerful etc. This is isn't Piratez.

Examples? I'm really willing to change it if necessary.

I'll make you a list... I didn't want to have to deal with how the sausage was made, but no help for that now. ;D

There will be more in the next version. :P For now, just... spam scientists, I guess?

Cool
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 10:29:52 am by HelmetHair »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 13, 2016, 01:58:28 pm »
Why don't you just make a mod to my mod? It'll be way easier to test and compare.

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 13, 2016, 07:40:07 pm »
indeed...

niculinux

« Reply #206 on: August 15, 2016, 01:01:54 pm »
UFO and TFTD ( air and underwater combat) in one mod?! Hey that's heaven! More stuff will be placed (weapons, items, craft, ecc) in next versions?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 15, 2016, 05:11:08 pm »
UFO and TFTD ( air and underwater combat) in one mod?! Hey that's heaven! More stuff will be placed (weapons, items, craft, ecc) in next versions?

You bet!

Here's a much-needed update: https://www.mediafire.com/download/a1bh2ahs0khwnvl/OpenXcom_XFiles_0.2.4.zip

Changelog:
- Fixed a problem with EXALT Brainer crashing the game.
- Fixed a problem with EXALT HQ Ufopaedia entry crashing the game.
- Fixed a critical bug with the Corridor facility crashing the game.
- Fixed Skorpion SMG Ufopaedia page crashing the game (see a pattern here?).
- Shotguns rebalance.
- Some melee weapons rebalance.
- Gauss and Railguns rebalance. Synthsuit, Power Suit and Flying Suit rebalance.
- Better Hybrid face, by Civilian.
- Added Alien Subrifle, a plasma SMG.
- Changed invisibility for the Black Lotus Assassin, now he is visible from a close distance.

Mostly fixes, so no big content addition yet. But many of these errors were fatal, so that's good. Also I bet you'll prefer the new stealth system for assassins...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 05:13:18 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #208 on: August 15, 2016, 05:33:21 pm »
Also I bet you'll prefer the new stealth system for assassins...

No more invincible ninjas? :) or is that "Black Lotus Assassin" someone different?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 15, 2016, 06:02:16 pm »
No more invincible ninjas? :) or is that "Black Lotus Assassin" someone different?

No, it's the same one.
I mean he's still mostly invisible, but can be seen from all angles if you are very close. No more diagonal sight nonsense.