Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1950857 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.4.2 alpha: Going Postal
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2016, 10:28:01 pm »
Ex: "What, you do don't like metal music ? It's because you never heard the right one. You HAVE to listen to this, NOW. So? So?"

Doesn't sound like a person who has a sensitive, high-profile job, unless in academia or California maybe :) I'll give you a better example: Putin is quite a joker but wouldn't you call him dead serious? :)

But I think it's mostly movies. Show me a 80's/90's hero who wasn't humorous. Fuckin' Fox Mulder. But even Rambo had silly moments and it was all right with him :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 10:29:58 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2016, 10:33:40 pm »
I think it's not really as important, it's not like this mod is a bad pun hurricane like Piratez. :) There's a few jokes here and there, but nothing that would destroy the immersion.

When the Commendations get into the OXCE+ branch, I'll probably spice it up too, since the current ones are so Eaglelandish that they make me feel like my eyes are being burned out. :P

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2016, 10:54:11 pm »
Not really a fan of those commendations, huh?  ???

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2016, 11:09:41 pm »

They're very well done, I just don't really dig the style. Michael Bay could learn from them :)

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2016, 11:12:14 pm »

I'm a fan! But I'm American, so maybe that makes his point?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2016, 11:16:49 pm »
I'm a fan! But I'm American, so maybe that makes his point?

I'm definitely not a US hater, but you do seem to have a tendency for emotional overzealousness over military things. :) (At least judges by US pop culture.)

Anyway, here's a glimpse of a (far) future: Nazi cities on the Moon!

(Of course the pyramids will probably have to go, but maybe aliens will be there too, who knows.)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2016, 11:41:47 pm »
Neat! It's like in Hobbes' book!

I hope Zoey got her space suit ;)

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2016, 01:35:41 am »
Little quirk : It's possible to get points of "Artifacts recovered" by bringing unresearched weapons into a mission.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2016, 01:56:50 am »
Little quirk : It's possible to get points of "Artifacts recovered" by bringing unresearched weapons into a mission.

Can you please tell me which ones? I'm hunting down remnants of this bug.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2016, 02:31:52 am »
Neat! It's like in Hobbes' book!

Nazi UFOs invading from the Moon... what a classic. Too bad Hitler didn't made a reappearance himself ;)

Offline Blank

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2016, 10:24:57 am »
My first mission involved my two agents in suits running away from zombies in the mountains while fetching more ammo from the rental car. Still somehow felt more professional than the average x-com rookie. Died all the same.

How come I can't take my dog in the mystery machine X-Com van? I'm guessing it's to stop me fitting a tank in there

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2016, 11:17:11 am »
My first mission involved my two agents in suits running away from zombies in the mountains while fetching more ammo from the rental car. Still somehow felt more professional than the average x-com rookie. Died all the same.

Certainly more cinematic than your average vanilla mission :)
Yeah, zombies are dangerous for a two men team. Once you have four, and learn basic tactics to deal with Zombies, it's not a big problem.

How come I can't take my dog in the mystery machine X-Com van? I'm guessing it's to stop me fitting a tank in there

Basically, yes. I'm working on it.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2016, 04:06:47 pm »
In a zombie mission, the score counted 10 killed, 1 captured, 11 corpses ??
I want to say the pistols compliment each other very well. I often had people dual wield a beretta and a 45, then when agents become very accurate, a rifle / luger combo tends to dominate (accurate at all ranges).
Glock seemed slightly sub-par, because at the ranges where auto-fire is efficient, melee seemed more reliable. And since I never know the armor of strange lifeforms, I really hesitate to depend on low-caliber guns. I did however use it very reliably on cult members.

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2016, 05:31:03 pm »
The moon texture should be grey. I know that looks a bit boring, but... well it would be realistic then  ;D

Hey wait we are talking about Nazi cities on the moon.....  :o  Forget realism...  :P

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2016, 05:44:19 pm »
In a zombie mission, the score counted 10 killed, 1 captured, 11 corpses ??

Hmm, I'm not sure what happened... I have some ideas, but nothing substantial.

I want to say the pistols compliment each other very well. I often had people dual wield a beretta and a 45, then when agents become very accurate, a rifle / luger combo tends to dominate (accurate at all ranges).
Glock seemed slightly sub-par, because at the ranges where auto-fire is efficient, melee seemed more reliable. And since I never know the armor of strange lifeforms, I really hesitate to depend on low-caliber guns. I did however use it very reliably on cult members.

Glad to hear all that. Congrats on good insight regarding the weapons, this is more or less how it's supposed to work. But I still like Glocks, they have very good rate of fire which compensates for the lower damage per bullet. Most monsters don't have much armour, but "most" can be problematic. :)

The moon texture should be grey. I know that looks a bit boring, but... well it would be realistic then  ;D

Yeah, I will experiment with that when the time comes. But it's one of a billion features I want to add, so I'm not even sure which ones will be realized. :P And this one is definitely a distant one, right now I will focus on stuff like the Syndicate (Men in Black wannabes), rogue scientists and elements of TFTD.

Hey wait we are talking about Nazi cities on the moon.....  :o  Forget realism...  :P

What's so unrealistic about it? Given the necessary tech, it's as trivial as the Cydonia base :)