Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1949408 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin
« on: May 01, 2016, 10:01:13 pm »

This megamod will allow you to grow X-Com from its humbled beginnings, as a two-men team travelling the world in an expensive-looking car to the global the military force we all know and love. It contains many, many additions, like new mission types, enemies, equipment and story arcs (including the entirety of my previous project, the Final Mod Pack). It also places the game a bit more firmly in the 90's conspiracy genre and its clichés.
Defeat the enemies from the outer space, the oceans the underground, but primarily within our own society!

The mod is definitely playable, but some side arcs are still being developed.

GET THE MOD HERE: https://openxcom.mod.io/the-x-com-files

Feel free to check out Ksenni's sound enhancement mod, adding a plethora of specific gun and unit sounds: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,8870.0.html

For changelog, go here.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 02:17:06 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.4.2 alpha: Going Postal
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 10:23:18 pm »
This mod requires OXCE.

OXCE download: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5258.0.html
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 02:04:07 pm by Meridian »

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 12:28:26 am »
Congrats

Having seen some of your previous modding results this could only become a fantastic mod.

One thing though .. is it for OXC or OXCE (i believed you've mentioned something about OXCE for your newest mod, but i'm not sure if this is the one you meant).

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 12:30:41 am »
Congrats

Having seen some of your previous modding results this could only become a fantastic mod.

One thing though .. is it for OXC or OXCE (i believed you've mentioned something about OXCE for your newest mod, but i'm not sure if this is the one you meant).

Yes, it's for OXCE+. The file is distributed with the mod, just like Piratez.

Well then, waiting for reviews. 8)

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 12:36:48 am »
Ack, there goes the tiny rest of my free time  ;D

*downloads*  8)

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 12:42:38 am »
Wanted to wait with extended till i have had a bit more quality time with regular OXC ... hmmm ... but i am curious.

Unfortunately an .exe won't work here since all my computers run Xubuntu. If you can provide links to the specific repository commit [1] used for the creation of that specific .exe i'm sure i can build my own version (as i do with OXC).

[1] Or even better: SHA string (first 7 will do) and the name of the repository (and if needed branch).

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 12:47:07 am »
Wanted to wait with extended till i have had a bit more quality time with regular OXC ... hmmm ... but i am curious.

Unfortunately an .exe won't work here since all my computers run Xubuntu. If you can provide links to the specific repository commit [1] used for the creation of that specific .exe i'm sure i can build my own version (as i do with OXC).

[1] Or even better: SHA string (first 7 will do) and the name of the repository (and if needed branch).

Look here at the first post: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4187.0.html
It contains a build for Xubuntu. But it's a bit older, so you'll experience a lot of lagging, since the game has increased view distance.

Offline Arctic

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 01:26:14 am »
AW YEAH

Offline Cooper

• Colonel
  • Chryssalids are awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 03:21:47 am »
Wow, looking at the mission generator this looks like a huge game already!

Looking great so far. Love being restricted to only two soldiers at the beginning, makes the game very intense! Very nice enemies :)

Offline NebulaM78

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 08:43:02 am »
Congratulations, man. It's always nice to see a concept come to fruition.

Offline Kammerer

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 09:47:49 am »
Congratulations! You did it finally! And it'd be a great honour for me to continue the work on the translations of your mods. Hope you don't mind :).

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 10:17:30 am »

All info in the second post of this thread: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4595.msg64120.html#msg64120

Offline eisenefaust

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 10:39:02 am »
Congrats! I've been waiting for this when I first heard about months ago.
I look forward to it's continual development.

Offline NebulaM78

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 10:52:20 am »
After playing for a while, one thing I can say is that this mod is hard. First and foremost is the crappy accuracy of your agents (big surprise). Another thing is that the only viable long distance transport at the start is the car, which only seats 2 guys. It's tough to take down 10+ cultists with just two guys who shoot like they have eye defects.

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 11:12:50 am »
Ok, played through some missions in a new campaign and this really is one new XCom experience. I will try not to post any spoilers.

1. Loved the new enemies
2. The new faces are interestingly totally rocking my XCom world, I always expect to see the usual ones and all of a sudden there is someone I have never seen before!  ;D Nice!
3. The starting transportation idea is nice  :)
4. Ufopaedia pics/entries are good, do you have a tool that converts pictures into the XCom pallette files? I so want one...
5. Of course (hey, it's an alpha) there were some things not there yet or missing. I am not sure if I report those things yet?

Oh well, I'll do it anyway  ;D Remember that I KNOW that those are minor alpha problems.
Spoiler:
1. CONCEALABLE not CONCELABLE? not sure
2. The HQ facility has no ufopaedia
3. The weapons/equipment is totally unsorted, gasp!  :D
4. There were too many missions happening at the same time (4 or 5!)  :o
5. The Mudranger has no Ufopedia entry at the start even though you can buy it
6. Which leads to a nasty surprise when you launch it with a squad (range)  :D
7. TU costs are too high, It seems you are using the high XPiratez inventory costs, which I loath  ;D Really I mean picking up a corpse takes me 20 TUs? Please reconsider! :o
8. Daylight indicator mod is missing  :P
9. Toxi Suit has wrong Ufopedia pic (yeah i know, alpha)
10. Melee starting stats for rookies are too low. I had several persons with ~20, making anything melee useless. And yes I know, use the GYm etc.  :D

A tip: Disable the Sneaky AI setting, the starting enemies are mostly melee and will suffer from that option.

Otoh, if you don't like being surrounded by enemies in a dark forest at night....  ;D

Nice work, looking forward to playing it!