aliens

Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.3: Mysteries Ancient And New  (Read 2008511 times)

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin
« Reply #5970 on: March 14, 2024, 04:48:14 pm »
How do you get the data disk out of the computer in Syndicate Data Seizure? I can see an item on the map but on a tile blocked by an object, do I need to blow it up?

I suppose it is not intended that the item be capturable and you escape from the mission. Though not sure if this is intentional. This is because the successful completion of the mission triggers "syndicate is pissed" sequence, which results in a number of missions and syndicate retaliation. It would be surprising if you could escape this sequence just by capturing the disk and escaping. I've always completed the mission by killing/stunning enemies and/or having the rest surrender. (But note that you don't want to do this mission until you're ready for it; IMHO the bare minimum is Kitsune and therefore fast access to the missions with quick timers that come up afterwards.)

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5971 on: March 14, 2024, 06:18:32 pm »
How do you get the data disk out of the computer in Syndicate Data Seizure? I can see an item on the map but on a tile blocked by an object, do I need to blow it up?
But if you want to risk that psavola was right, use melee weapon or direct fire weapon on the computer. Neither of these damage items on the ground, while an explosion would destroy the data disk.

Offline Chromeo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5972 on: March 14, 2024, 08:19:13 pm »
I suppose it is not intended that the item be capturable and you escape from the mission. Though not sure if this is intentional. This is because the successful completion of the mission triggers "syndicate is pissed" sequence, which results in a number of missions and syndicate retaliation. It would be surprising if you could escape this sequence just by capturing the disk and escaping. I've always completed the mission by killing/stunning enemies and/or having the rest surrender. (But note that you don't want to do this mission until you're ready for it; IMHO the bare minimum is Kitsune and therefore fast access to the missions with quick timers that come up afterwards.)

I see, thank you, I guess I will just leave the mission for now as I'm not at that point yet. It would be nice if this mission description could be changed to be more clear though as to me it highly suggests you are supposed to grab the item and flee.

But if you want to risk that psavola was right, use melee weapon or direct fire weapon on the computer. Neither of these damage items on the ground, while an explosion would destroy the data disk.

I did try shooting the computer but I didn't have any weapons that could damage it.

Offline Fukhuru

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5973 on: March 16, 2024, 02:48:25 pm »
I took an sonic pistol on a mission.
I broke the computer with this pistol, took the disk, then broke the wall and escaped from the mission.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 06:36:13 am by Fukhuru »

Offline HinterDemGlas

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5974 on: March 17, 2024, 05:22:58 pm »
I generally enjoy the very 90s Rob Liefeld style vanilla artwork (except for the Hidden Movement screen which is a crime against art and man) but I remember I used to play with a set of more understated, realistic X-files like backgrounds. A mod or graphics pack or something but I can't seem to find it. Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5975 on: March 17, 2024, 06:45:12 pm »
There is a stickied submod list at the top, classified by type for exactly these kinds of questions, you know. ;)

It's probably the X-com Files Alternative Art you're after. The Mediafire version seems to be still up.

Incidentally, added Medical Medals to the list.

Offline HinterDemGlas

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5976 on: March 17, 2024, 06:54:10 pm »
Thanks for maintaining that thread, it's been very useful and convenient and I should in fact ask questions like that there! But the art I'm thinking of isn't in XCF Alternative Art (which doesn't replace any vanilla X-Com artwork from what I remember from using it) and it's not in the art part of your thread either. I think I may have to revive my old laptop hard drive to figure this out...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 06:55:51 pm by HinterDemGlas »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5977 on: March 17, 2024, 07:07:46 pm »
Ah, you meant actual vanilla backgrounds. :-[

Hmm. In that case I don't even recall there ever being such a thing specifically for XCF. The closest I can get is the Visual Upgrade, but this does not seem to be it, either.

Offline Chromeo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5978 on: March 19, 2024, 02:09:55 am »
Hello, it's me again. I have UFO Power Source and UFO Navigation items but am not able to research them. The prerequisite says it depends on alien power systems (researched) and 'Std. Lab' which I believe is the science lab building (got it), anyone know what's up?

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5979 on: March 19, 2024, 04:50:16 am »
Unless the item itself is in the wrong base, no idea. Post a save?

Offline Chromeo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5980 on: March 19, 2024, 08:58:13 pm »
There you go, have the items and should be able to research at both Wolf Base and Squirrel Valley but can't at either. Thank you.

It also seems I can't research 'optronic parts' (only at Wolf Base).
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 09:37:34 pm by Chromeo »

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5981 on: March 19, 2024, 10:51:31 pm »
You cannot research Optronic parts because you haven't researched Optronics yet, so working as intended.

As for UFO Navigation and Power Source, you have at some point hidden these topics by right-clicking on them (currently you may have the option disabled so you can't get them back without re-enabling this option). These can be seen from the save as follows:

researchRuleStatus:
STR_UFO_NAVIGATION:  3
STR_UFO_POWER_SOURCE: 3

Unhide them and you're ready to go. I suppose you could also edit the save. The normal value is 1.

Offline Chromeo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5982 on: March 19, 2024, 11:12:58 pm »
You cannot research Optronic parts because you haven't researched Optronics yet, so working as intended.

As for UFO Navigation and Power Source, you have at some point hidden these topics by right-clicking on them (currently you may have the option disabled so you can't get them back without re-enabling this option). These can be seen from the save as follows:

researchRuleStatus:
STR_UFO_NAVIGATION:  3
STR_UFO_POWER_SOURCE: 3

Unhide them and you're ready to go. I suppose you could also edit the save. The normal value is 1.

Oops, that explains it, not sure how I did that, thank you!

Offline 0xEBJC

• Colonel
  • Y'all are awesome! Thankful for this community.
    • View Profile
    • My Projects
« Reply #5983 on: March 24, 2024, 05:11:28 am »
Hey Solarius Scorch,

I'm trying to identify what generates the list of allowable suits for a specific environment that is displayed on the in-game menu?  The main reason I'm asking is I want to update the menu in-game to show any additional armors I add to a specific environment.

For example, dimension x, shows the list in the attached screenshot, but that list is much smaller than the list in the "startingConditions_XCOMFILES.rul" which include sub armors for each type of soldier upgrade, like INFERNAL, SPARTAN, etc. and those are not listed.  I'm working on a submod with some customs suits and added one to the list via override like the following, but it doesn't show up in the list on the screenshot
Code: [Select]
startingConditions:
  - type: STR_DIMENSION_X_GEAR
    allowedArmors: !add   
      - STR_NEW_TEST_ARMOR_UC

When testing in game play and the armor when equipped does in fact work in that environment.  I'm guessing that in this specific case it's because dimension-x has so many outfits that it's below whats being shown?  But also wondering why suits like INFERNAL, etc don't show up?

If that's case maybe I'll suggest a low priority request to update OXCE GUI to scroll the allowable outfits?

Thanks!

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5984 on: March 24, 2024, 07:30:15 am »
Only researched armors show up in the list in vanilla XCF. So, for example, if you manage to steal an armor from a live enemy unit that can be used in that environment, you'll just have to know it's ok (or look at at the ruleset). Not sure if this could be your problem as well (in addition, perhaps, to a scrolling issue). I believe OXCE engine automatically creates the list, it's not created by the modder.