Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.3: Mysteries Ancient And New  (Read 2008528 times)

Offline Stone Lake

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin
« Reply #5880 on: January 13, 2024, 09:43:59 am »
There is a problem with the capture of the commanders' ethereals. I was plot-wise stuck with it, but I was able to see it for the first time only after a year and a half of playing on the arbiter-ufo. I got so bored that I skipped 95% of the gameplay this 1.5 years, what i waiting to find this commander.
Waiting is quite common for late game.

I found Ethereal Commander rather easy to get. Arbiter spawns often (33% per month after MiB commander is researched). Then you can either mind probe every Ethereal, or
Spoiler:
only those that wield Plasma Sword / Heavy Plasma / Plasma Destroyer / Blaster Launcher, very easy to find.
He's visually indistinct otherwise, but could use some.

SpoilerScratch that:
The bigger problem is, as usual, rare Ethereals that are needed for Alien Orbital / Avenger. These are Ethereal Eliminator / Sentinel / Servitor (no Avenger). You can get them from very rare Envoy Ship / Ethereal Alien Domination / Order of Elimination / Dreadnought. Most of these spawn, somewhat rarely, past 2001. So, if you don't have them, get ready for another 1.5 years wait.

Dreadnought can spawn instead of Arbiter, if you 1) Haven't researched Ethereal Commander yet (it stops Arbiter too) 2) Have detected-by-aliens base in the region where UFO spawns (random-ish?). So, there's questionable half-strategy I came up - make 3-5 of your bases detected/marked for retaliation, and fish for Dreadnought. There are ~8 regions, so the chance to get Dreadnought is, per month ~33% * number of detected bases / regions ~ 16% per month with 4 bases detected.
Edit: Actually you can just get Ethereal Speaker from Alien Orbital. How nice.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 12:08:35 pm by Stone Lake »

Offline Akamashi

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5881 on: January 13, 2024, 10:12:44 am »
Waiting is quite common for late game.

I found Ethereal Commander rather easy to get. Arbiter spawns often (33% per month after MiB commander is researched). Then you can either mind probe every Ethereal, or
Spoiler:
only those that wield Plasma Sword / Heavy Plasma / Plasma Destroyer / Blaster Launcher, very easy to find.
He's visually indistinct otherwise, but could use some.

The bigger problem is, as usual, rare Ethereals that are needed for Alien Orbital / Avenger. These are Ethereal Eliminator / Sentinel / Servitor (no Avenger). You can get them from very rare Envoy Ship / Ethereal Alien Domination / Order of Elimination / Dreadnought. Most of these spawn, somewhat rarely, past 2001. So, if you don't have them, get ready for another 1.5 years wait.

Dreadnought can spawn instead of Arbiter, if you 1) Haven't researched Ethereal Commander yet (it stops Arbiter too) 2) Have detected-by-aliens base in the region where UFO spawns (random-ish?). So, there's questionable half-strategy I came up - make 3-5 of your bases detected/marked for retaliation, and fish for Dreadnought. There are ~8 regions, so the chance to get Dreadnought is, per month ~33% * number of detected bases / regions ~ 16% per month with 4 bases detected.
It's very strange. I was able to catch the ethereal commander on the UFO arbiter on superhuman Ironman. From 4 or 5 times. It was very difficult. If I didn't know where to look for him, it would be almost impossible. Now I have a lunar base of the MIB according to the plan. And then the final missions that I will have to start with LIGHTNING.

Offline PPQ

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5882 on: January 13, 2024, 10:31:43 am »
What version of OEXE do I need for this? IIRC I know the old version I used a year ago needed some special version.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5883 on: January 13, 2024, 10:36:07 am »
What version of OEXE do I need for this? IIRC I know the old version I used a year ago needed some special version.

7.9 or later

Offline PPQ

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5884 on: January 13, 2024, 10:50:24 am »
Thank you. I've been away from this game for over a year so I need to get back into the loop.

Offline Stone Lake

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5885 on: January 13, 2024, 11:44:58 am »
I was able to catch the ethereal commander on the UFO arbiter on superhuman Ironman. From 4 or 5 times. It was very difficult.
Well, if you found that difficult, later missions will be even more fun.

Now I have a lunar base of the MIB according to the plan. And then the final missions that I will have to start with LIGHTNING.
The Alien Orbital is next, and you won't be able to continue past Lunar Base if you don't have aforementioned Ethereals. So it can be reasonable to wait for Avenger.
That being said, Lunar Base and later on are very doable with just Lighting. For Lunar Base - if you don't intend to kill everyone, and just grab the stuff you need. Otherwise, probably hardest encounter in the game.

If I didn't know where to look for him, it would be almost impossible.
You can get Arbiter research from "rare" Ethereals. It tells that Ethereal Commander is on Arbiter.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 11:47:18 am by Stone Lake »

Offline Akamashi

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5886 on: January 13, 2024, 12:31:18 pm »
Well, if you found that difficult, later missions will be even more fun.
The Alien Orbital is next, and you won't be able to continue past Lunar Base if you don't have aforementioned Ethereals. So it can be reasonable to wait for Avenger.
That being said, Lunar Base and later on are very doable with just Lighting. For Lunar Base - if you don't intend to kill everyone, and just grab the stuff you need. Otherwise, probably hardest encounter in the game.
You can get Arbiter research from "rare" Ethereals. It tells that Ethereal Commander is on Arbiter.
I have already passed the xcf on ironman on veteran. And in recent updates, spartanism has made the game easier many times. I don't think difficulties will overcome me anywhere.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5887 on: January 13, 2024, 02:24:47 pm »
In my personal opinion, the problem with the XCF endgame arc is that it typically occurs so late in the game and/or after waiting so that you have already maximised all the relevant agents, researched everything, etc. And looking at SL streams, psionics is also overpowered in the late game (you can MC all the ethereals and alien sectopods as well - the situation might be different if it was very difficult or impossible to MC ethereals). Especially MC enemies which have good psiVision takes much of the surprise and excitement out of the later game.

So the most important and interesting parts of the game are over once you reach the point of going to the moon/orbit/mars and what's left is essentially just waiting for the RNG and sequential events to follow each other (and skipping all the rest or doing essentially useless missions).

Game design wise this could be improved by making the end-game arc start earlier and maybe not being so linear. For example, requiring an alien commander rather than ethereal commander to get to at least some parts of the end-game arc, and making avenger less dependent on RNG.

Also from the story perspective, I'm not "fully convinced" that the idea of learning about MIB lunar base can be squeezed out of MIBs on earth (and you already can do other missions on moon, like UAC moon base), but you can only infiltrate it once you obtain the keys to alien-MIB communications from ethereal commander (shouldn't the MIB commander be able to tell you the same things). While this is framed in the story as "posing as the other side", going to the MIB Lunar Base mission does not require any technology where your craft would actually masquarade as an alien craft in a manner that would make sense. (In order for it to make sense, the prerequisite should actually be obtaining and learning to use a live space fight capable alien craft and riding THAT to the MIB moon base, a bit similar to how in TWoTS mod you need a third-party alien infiltration craft to get to T'Leth)

But because this part of the mod is already well-established, I don't hold my breath for significant changes. Like in my previous campaigns, personally I just very likely get bored (once again) and stop playing the campaign at the latest when I get to this waiting and/or figuring out the right way to obtain the right ethereals phase.

Offline Stone Lake

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5888 on: January 13, 2024, 05:05:56 pm »
Especially MC enemies which have good psiVision takes much of the surprise and excitement out of the later game.
Really? Psionics are strong, but they still can't see cybermites, waspites or sectopods. I'd say late-game is all about dealing with the latter. I imagine honest shoot-out wouldn't end in my favor, but there's always the blasters and melee hit & runs.

Personally, endgame arc grown on me. Finally, my rookies can breathe free, they're in no danger. I unleash all my favourite guys and see if they can survive to the victory. Thus the stakes are at their highest.

It's "wait for Ethereals" that's really annoying. Thankfully, now there can be a semblance of strategy for that I outlined before. But some Eth Envoys in MiB base wouldn't hurt, I think. Hybrid-Envoy style. But does it make sense for them to be there?

Offline Akamashi

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5889 on: January 14, 2024, 06:06:30 am »
I wouldn't say that controlling ethereals makes the final missions very easy. This makes it possible to confidently turn around on the battlefield. But the losses of the fighters are still great. I am more concerned about the spartanism with which my stormtroopers have become completely unstoppable. 40 tu is too much. even without the bonus to the tu, spartanism is very good. With this bonus, he leaves no alternative for a squad that won't use psi control.

Offline theophilos

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5890 on: January 14, 2024, 09:00:04 am »
What are you supposed to aquire from the aether lab? I finished the mission but only got a damaged ectoplasmic generator, which doesnt have any topics, not sure why it is damaged unless the one tile that got destroyed did this?

I see the master also does not go anywhere in progress,

Maybe I did not install update correctly? I deleted my entire xfiles 3.1 and then put the 3.2 in and loaded my save that was on geoscape and then did this mission

Can anyone help explain what the purpose of this lab mission is and how to progress further? I finished the 4 special ghost missions but maybe here are new missions I must do with update? I just don't see on research tree how to progress further,

Offline Stone Lake

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5891 on: January 14, 2024, 09:01:08 am »
Can anyone help explain what the purpose of this lab mission is and how to progress further? I finished the 4 special ghost missions but maybe here are new missions I must do with update? I just don't see on research tree how to progress further,
There's no further progress at the time.

Offline theophilos

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5892 on: January 14, 2024, 09:11:36 am »
There's no further progress at the time.

ohhhh okay thank you , I was wondering what to use all that ectoplasm for lol

Black sphere is not regarding ghost stuff I assume??

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5893 on: January 14, 2024, 09:23:31 am »
ohhhh okay thank you , I was wondering what to use all that ectoplasm for lol

Black sphere is not regarding ghost stuff I assume??

Ectoplasm is not really all that useful in the game (currently), unless you make a lot of hadriex guns and need to lots of ammo for that. But for stunning enemies, katapeltes spiritus is much more efficient.

Black sphere is the reward from the cult of apocalypse plotline, giving you infernalism transformation (and BFG).

Offline PPQ

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5894 on: January 14, 2024, 12:37:03 pm »
I unlocked pilot training in the research but I forgot how to actually use it. Like, I think it's supposed to be in the transformation overview but I can't find it there.