aliens

Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.3: Mysteries Ancient And New  (Read 2008537 times)

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin
« Reply #5865 on: January 05, 2024, 11:03:11 pm »
I added the tag, but didn't make a GitHub release. TBH, I didn't think people actually use it. Will fix now.

(Re: github release tags.)  Probably few do, at least on a regular basis, but if someone ever wants to compare two versions or check the history for specific files (for example), having these might come in handy.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
« Reply #5866 on: January 06, 2024, 12:32:51 am »
Hey guys I'd like to update to new version , what is best way to do this without messing up my save? I'm not the best with computers ,

Do I need to somehow Uninstall everything and then reinstall, but keep my save separate then add it in? Or is it as simple as dragging and dropping the files a certain way and replace all?

No need for uninstall anything. it should be as easy as copy/paste for XCF mod location (overwrite).

Offline theophilos

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5867 on: January 06, 2024, 03:27:37 am »
Ok thanks

Btw, can enemies blow up your craft inventory?

I am doing the defending councilor from syndicate mission and it appears a grenade from enemy throw through window at civilian blew up my entire inventory except 16x Tonfa,  8x High Explosive, 3x Sonic Pistol Clip

It is pretty devastating because it destroyed all of my alien laser ammo that I can't make yet , my sonic weapons, and lots of manufactured stuff like all my Dart muskets from bullfrogs

I cant reload because didn't realize equipment could get blown up and have been playing many turns, I never seen it damaged by grenades thrown into osprey

Only realized it destroyed after it gave me earnings about can't requip craft after the battle, of course right after it autosaved geoscape
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 03:38:08 am by theophilos »

Offline Stone Lake

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5868 on: January 06, 2024, 05:19:23 am »
Hey guys I'd like to update to new version , what is best way to do this without messing up my save? I'm not the best with computers ,
The common advice is - don't update while on battlescape. Also be careful not to have two versions of the mod in the mod folder (that includes archives) - one of them simply won't work and it can be tough to understand why.

Btw, can enemies blow up your craft inventory?
Yep, same as any other item pile on the map.

It is pretty devastating because it destroyed all of my alien laser ammo that I can't make yet , my sonic weapons, and lots of manufactured stuff like all my Dart muskets from bullfrogs
Sucks, but it happens. Don't fret over it too much, you'll get more where that come from.

For some battles, where you know things will get blown up, I recommend removing unused items. Use F5/F8 at craft equipment screen to save/restore equipment loadouts. Then, go inventory button -> CTRL+ALT+X to remove loot pile. Then you can use restoer + "add on top" button to add loadouts with "extra" items that you're not afraid to lose, like grenades, medkits, etc.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 05:34:07 am by Stone Lake »

Offline theophilos

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5869 on: January 08, 2024, 02:40:51 am »
I followed your advice and moved on I've already forgotten about it 😂 I will survive

Btw what is the eta on a jar head mission? It seems to give pretty early game rewards but it's well into 1999 and nothing so far about it,

Is it just really random time mission with no requirements to spawn , I can't decrypt the syndicate data slate until then

Did get mashinobi twice but they don't count

Offline donk

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5870 on: January 08, 2024, 03:53:51 am »
So player crafts are not invulnerable after all? That's 2 shots from ship laser turrets.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5871 on: January 08, 2024, 08:19:21 am »
Btw what is the eta on a jar head mission? It seems to give pretty early game rewards but it's well into 1999 and nothing so far about it,

Is it just really random time mission with no requirements to spawn , I can't decrypt the syndicate data slate until then

Jarhead terror mission has 7 % chance to spawn with firstMonth 20. So they are not supposed to appear until mid-1998, and after that you've just had bad RNG luck. After you've started investigation of them, there's additional 10 % chance for the factory mission.

Dagon level 2+ manors have a number of jarhead pretenders. So if you want to guarantee getting them (or getting them earlier), you let one manor to survive until second tier and grab it from there.

An early access to jarheads, and thus EMP grenades and mines, makes the game easier against various foes.

Offline Empiro

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5872 on: January 08, 2024, 10:56:59 pm »
The common advice is - don't update while on battlescape. Also be careful not to have two versions of the mod in the mod folder (that includes archives) - one of them simply won't work and it can be tough to understand why.
Yep, same as any other item pile on the map.
Sucks, but it happens. Don't fret over it too much, you'll get more where that come from.

For some battles, where you know things will get blown up, I recommend removing unused items. Use F5/F8 at craft equipment screen to save/restore equipment loadouts. Then, go inventory button -> CTRL+ALT+X to remove loot pile. Then you can use restoer + "add on top" button to add loadouts with "extra" items that you're not afraid to lose, like grenades, medkits, etc.

I don't know if it's possible to mod this or if there would need to be an engine change, but this is one thing I wish the game would change/fix. The thought of X-Com just keeping extra equipment in a big pile on the floor near the exit is kind of amusing to me.

If possible, I'd add some sort of protection on the equipment on that tile, to simulate putting the extra stuff in lockers and such.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
« Reply #5873 on: January 09, 2024, 09:31:12 pm »
So player crafts are not invulnerable after all? That's 2 shots from ship laser turrets.

I've honestly never seen that before. I have been taken out standing in the Kitsune but never the outer walls open like this.
Also had fire from plasma hit under the ramp and burn soldiers that way too.

Offline Stone Lake

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5874 on: January 10, 2024, 06:25:59 pm »
If possible, I'd add some sort of protection on the equipment on that tile, to simulate putting the extra stuff in lockers and such.
Get into the mapping, and add locker for each craft you intend to use. Easier said than done, though...

Of course not. Neither are UFOs, or base floors, just hit it hard enough. IIRC all of these break at ~200 damage (100, accounted for tile modifier).
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 09:28:27 am by Stone Lake »

Offline Nerro

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5875 on: January 10, 2024, 08:21:27 pm »
I even managed to blow up the craft wall with my own rocket once.
Fun Time !

Offline donk

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5876 on: January 11, 2024, 06:24:01 pm »
How do you make your agents go up in rank? They become agents after one mission, then nothing. I thought there where no ranks after agents, but I checked the wiki and it looks like there is. What's wrong here?

Offline Stone Lake

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5877 on: January 11, 2024, 06:51:01 pm »
Don't bother with ranks, stats don't depend on them, only salary does.
Ranks are limited by amount of soldiers you have.

Offline theophilos

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5878 on: January 12, 2024, 10:06:08 am »
Do I need to update to newest openxcom version? I think I am on whatever version was posted about 6 months ago,

also is there really only 1 location I need to be dragging and dropping the new version?

I see warnings to delete old submods so I will do that at least before putting in the new versions of the submods for sound

Offline Akamashi

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5879 on: January 13, 2024, 08:21:41 am »
There is a problem with the capture of the commanders' ethereals. I was plot-wise stuck with it, but I was able to see it for the first time only after a year and a half of playing on the arbiter-ufo. I got so bored that I skipped 95% of the gameplay this 1.5 years, what i waiting to find this commander.