aliens

Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.3: Mysteries Ancient And New  (Read 2008332 times)

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 3.1: Lights in The Sky
« Reply #5595 on: September 06, 2023, 12:51:25 am »
I think that line refers to the Kyberos enhancements themselves, and the TNI requirement is indeed opaque. I was talking about the follow-up implants, where one pedia entry explicitly says that these are only for Kyberi, and the others refer to 'cortex implant', 'central unit' and 'master device'.

Although these entries are right next to the TNI, so they kinda do hint at that. But some more clarity for the Kyberis transformation itself wouldn't go amiss. The cyborg chick can afford to suffer from a few more lines of exposition before becoming excessively obscured.

Offline Fiskun1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5596 on: September 06, 2023, 10:10:45 am »
How to destroy Lobsters? Firearms don't help...

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5597 on: September 06, 2023, 10:18:56 am »

They are very vulnerable to CHOKE (e.g. gas grenades), so that's a reliable and and easy way if you came across them on land. They are also vulnerable to ELECTRIC and WARP, and CUTTING is also ok. PSI is also good, because the weapons usually ignore armor. So, in underwater the options are more limited, but prodding with a stun rod or blasting with a ghost weapon would be fine, as well as a good strike with a battle-axe or katana.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5598 on: September 06, 2023, 11:03:50 am »
How to destroy Lobsters?
The noose. :P

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5599 on: September 06, 2023, 04:32:31 pm »
Fire arms on the other hand...

It's called the lobster special down at the cafeteria.

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5600 on: September 06, 2023, 05:19:57 pm »
Pepper spray

Offline Fiskun1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5601 on: September 06, 2023, 05:25:30 pm »
Thanks for the advice.
Japanese swords and other cutlery helped)

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
« Reply #5602 on: September 06, 2023, 06:56:18 pm »
I think that line refers to the Kyberos enhancements themselves, and the TNI requirement is indeed opaque. I was talking about the follow-up implants, where one pedia entry explicitly says that these are only for Kyberi, and the others refer to 'cortex implant', 'central unit' and 'master device'.

Although these entries are right next to the TNI, so they kinda do hint at that. But some more clarity for the Kyberis transformation itself wouldn't go amiss. The cyborg chick can afford to suffer from a few more lines of exposition before becoming excessively obscured.

Totally agreed with the cybernetic upgrades being clear in pedia. It was just getting to that point that tripped me up some.
Thanks for your input Juku. You are one of the more enjoyable people here and when ever I have a problem, your always first to help.
I appreciate it.

Offline Thunderwing280

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5603 on: September 06, 2023, 11:54:23 pm »
I've been doing another playthrough recently and it's been a long time since my last one, lots of interesting stuff since 2.0!

I do have some qeustions though:

Why is all cults contained no longer a promo 3 requisite? What's now the best way to go for it?

Cult mansions, how do they work and will they still spawn once the associated cult is countained?

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5604 on: September 07, 2023, 06:27:11 am »
I don't think all cults getting destroyed was ever a thing, except in my long-dead overhaul of 0.4-ish. At some point in 0.8.7 or so Alien Origins were replaced with an extended list of possible alternatives, but that's about it.

Promo III is mostly the same: get Promo I, get all your NPC advisors, kill one cult (Dagon is probably easiest, or maybe BL if you have good anti-ninja techniques), and discover something related to one of the more extraterrestrial factions. Interrogating a Gillman Deep One is what I usually do, but it kinda depends on what the game throws at you and how good you are at getting the right stuff out of it, especially captives.

Mansions spawn in the cities on the globe as time goes by, upgrade periodically, eat some score each month and spam hunter-killers at your non-civilian craft. And are a moderately difficult mission to kill, easier when they're young and harder when they're big and old. And the HKs also get much worse over time. Can be cheesed like alien bases used to be, for XP and perhaps a bit of loot.

Killing the cult early enough is the primary way of handling them. Existing manors will stick around and continue being a pain (or XP farm :) ), but once the head honchos are gone, no new manors.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 06:30:04 am by Juku121 »

Offline Akamashi

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5605 on: September 08, 2023, 09:07:20 am »
And what is the essence of the introduction of the Portable Laser Cannon? I received it six months after the invasion, and in fact it is a hi-end weapon. It breaks ethereals, sectopods, even the sky, even Allah. The game has dramatically lost 90% of the challenge and more than half of the interest. In the good old days, I so coveted turbolasers and plasma. Now I have no idea why they are needed at all. Exaggerated, but that's exactly how it is.

Offline theophilos

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5606 on: September 12, 2023, 01:25:53 am »
Hey does night ops/liquidator armor help with seeing ninjas? Just curious , thinking maybe it's like infrared

Was thinking maybe I should send a few to black lotus HQ

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5607 on: September 12, 2023, 03:07:08 am »
Hey does night ops/liquidator armor help with seeing ninjas? Just curious , thinking maybe it's like infrared
I don't think those armors have the counter for the Ninja Assassin camouflage values. The best bet is to use motion scanners, dogs (if expendable) or position markers (expendable). In addition, use flamethrowers liberally so to break the enemy unit path-finding system, creating choke points in the process.

Was thinking maybe I should send a few to black lotus HQ
I haven't played XCF in a while, but I think this part hasn't changed. So, for the BL HQ get armor that can tank the ninja assassin throwing weapons. Or be ready for mass casualties (injuries or KIAs).

Offline theophilos

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5608 on: September 12, 2023, 08:42:05 am »
I am building some motion scanners too. Yea usually I throw incendiary grenades all over and try to tunnel them or at least find safer paths to advance

Is bio exo suit good against the knives? I think i saw it reduced cutting damage

I think leather coats reduces cutting too but has low armor so I assume the low armor value negates most benefit

Actually it even appears bio exo suit has same night vision properties as night ops
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 08:44:21 am by theophilos »

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5609 on: September 12, 2023, 09:06:14 am »
Bio-Exo Suit is relatively early armor that has good protection against CUTTING. Heavy tactical suit is roughly as good, but also better against other damage types. I

What you need depends on the point when you do the HQ mission and which kind of tactic you employ (I strongly encourage not going out to wander around for at least 20 turns, if not more).