Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.3: Mysteries Ancient And New  (Read 2008574 times)

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 3.0: Beyond Human
« Reply #5340 on: July 27, 2023, 07:04:53 pm »
Eh, it does allow you to waste theagent's TU hoping it does something. :P

Offline grayboney

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5341 on: July 27, 2023, 07:41:46 pm »
Yes, they won't prevent other soldiers from taking their stuff if they share it.

I'm not against such hints in general, but this one looks like something you're supposed to discuver by experience. Why on Earth would anyone tell you that? How would they know how aliens fight?

Yes but in the end, we learn it in the second try without surprise, so in my opinion some hints don't hurt. It is not about making game easier (I already play this game always ironman one mistake and you're dead), it is more about guiding player to understand the game dynamics better.

...I don't understand, you clicked on the wrong manufacturing project or what?

Yes, while compressing all creatures and corpses in batch into blood plasma, I also bioextracted my live x-com squad candidate shadowbats :(

No, it's not normal. Either you managed to shoot down a Muton UFO (I don't really believe this, but hey, strange things happen) or you are using some submod which does such things.

No, I don't use any submod. I only have sound pack which you provided to us. It is impossible to shoot down anything, because I hardly had one little bird as interceptor in that date.

The Tower is a special case, it's more dangerous and should be harder. If it's too hard, well, it happens all the time to me as well - run away.
Well, I could disable the wave which comes from your side, if it doesn't make much sense... But it all depends on where your units are. They could just as well be near the western border at the moment, and then you could say the wave from the west also makes no sense, since it would have been spotted.
But I need to point out that the minimum distance for reinforcements to appear on these missions is 10 tiles from the nearest X-Com unit. So this means that they can be cxontrolled by placing your units more strategically. I hope this is satisfactory. (Maybe should be in the field manual; I'll add an article.)

Maybe I need to make it clear that I am not against the reinforcement system, only the way it works. I also finished xcom2 with commander + ironman. Xcom2 has also reinforcement system but with more reasonable approach. Game warns the player the reinforcements is coming in the pointed position. Similar approach can make the game more realistic.

Should always be your top unit. But why have you even sent more than 1 person? I don't understand.

My mistake was having all 15 units. But I already put my intended character to the top but it didn't work, the game selected it randomly.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5342 on: July 27, 2023, 08:09:21 pm »
... in my opinion some hints don't hurt. ... it is more about guiding player to understand the game dynamics better.
While that's true - and Solarius is indeed not against it and has even provided a whole Field Manual's worth of hints - learning that some aliens explode (or have melee reactions, or whatever) looks very much like something that is done via trial and error. That's the theme of both OG X-Com and the Files - you're fighting an unknown enemy with unknown capabilities.

If you have other suggestions, I'm sure Solarius will listen.

... I also bioextracted my live x-com squad candidate shadowbats
I don't think there's a good way to avoid that via mod internals, so you have to manage this yourself. Put your Shadowbat recruits into a different base, maybe.

It is impossible to shoot down anything, because I hardly had one little bird as interceptor in that date.
Hmm, it's the second time someone complainins about early retaliations now. Curious.

Maybe I need to make it clear that I am not against the reinforcement system, only the way it works. ... Similar approach can make the game more realistic.
Well, as Solarius said, the reinforcements have to come from somewhere, and there's no good way to make sure that this somewhere isn't a death trap for players. Well, unless they spawn in some bunker/craft of their own, which makes the whole thing kinda exploitable.

And, IMO big neon arrows pointing out enemy reinforcements are very much gamey and the opposite of realistic.

But I already put my intended character to the top but it didn't work, the game selected it randomly.
This is strange. Do you perhaps have a save for this? Because as far as I can tell, it's indeed the top unit and not some random dog or rat who gets selected.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 08:18:56 pm by Juku121 »

Offline oldxcomfan

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5343 on: July 28, 2023, 01:37:38 am »
This. Might I ask if you've actually tried clicking the icon before asking the question? Becasue I am kind of baffled by question like like this. Are people afraid they might break something by clicking on icons?
Might I ask if you read what I wrote ? The hybrid agent has 0 PSK, clicking ont the icon does nothing

Good news is that as soon as you unlock psi labs, those Hybrids will find their inner Force really fast.
This is good new, thanks for the info

Offline Niewiem

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5344 on: July 28, 2023, 09:40:55 am »

Yes, while compressing all creatures and corpses in batch into blood plasma, I also bioextracted my live x-com squad candidate shadowbats :(

I think best way to avoid it is to hide manufacture project that you are not planing to use :)

Offline Nerro

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5345 on: July 28, 2023, 09:57:24 am »
Might I ask if you read what I wrote ? The hybrid agent has 0 PSK, clicking ont the icon does nothing
You can actually click it with 0 PSK.
I think you need to unlock the skulljack for that. This may be a bug.

Offline Fiskun1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5346 on: July 28, 2023, 10:24:53 am »
I'm 95% sure that wounded soldiers automatically put their inventory in the base inventory.
I have no such confidence, because the armor of the wounded soldiers remains with them, and I have to take it off separately.
In general, it is surprising that it is possible to remove all armor or all equipment from a ship with one key, but there is no such key to remove all from all agents on this ship ... or I just don’t know.
I figured out the equipment for dogs, thanks.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 10:27:27 am by Fiskun1 »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #5347 on: July 28, 2023, 11:19:13 am »
If the agent has no psi skill, I have never managed to make this natural psi attack work on even the weakest enemy. So, appearances to the contrary, this icon can indeed be somewhat misleading. Don't think there's a way to remove the icon, though. Unless there's something in Y-scripts that allows you to modify built-in weapons that I'm not aware of.

Good news is that as soon as you unlock psi labs, those Hybrids will find their inner Force really fast.

Good point. I have just added an article on the Hybrid psi attack to clarify this.

Happens to everyone... But if the player doesn't check where they click, there's nothing I can do.

No, I don't use any submod. I only have sound pack which you provided to us. It is impossible to shoot down anything, because I hardly had one little bird as interceptor in that date.

Hmm... aggressive retaliation option? I'm running out of ideas here.

My mistake was having all 15 units. But I already put my intended character to the top but it didn't work, the game selected it randomly.

While that's true - and Solarius is indeed not against it and has even provided a whole Field Manual's worth of hints - learning that some aliens explode (or have melee reactions, or whatever) looks very much like something that is done via trial and error. That's the theme of both OG X-Com and the Files - you're fighting an unknown enemy with unknown capabilities.

Yes, exactly. The game is named "X-Com: Enemy Unknown" for a reason. Removing this element would undermine the game's character and take away a major fun point.

If you have other suggestions, I'm sure Solarius will listen.

Yes I am. :)

I have no such confidence, because the armor of the wounded soldiers remains with them, and I have to take it off separately.

Well I do have such confidence. :)

Offline sirmik

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5348 on: July 28, 2023, 11:48:44 am »

Hmm... aggressive retaliation option? I'm running out of ideas here.

same problem, maybe this will help?

- "month: 22 script: afterYearResearch id: 380 type: STR_ALIEN_RESEARCH_EARLY race: STR_SECTOID region: STR_PACIFIC targetZone: -1 targetArea: -1"
  - "month: 22 script: recurringRetaliation id: 381 type: STR_SENTRY_RETALIATION race: STR_MUTON region: STR_NORTH_AFRICA targetZone: -1 targetArea: -1"

- "gameTime: 1998-10-05 15:00:00 ufoId: 44 ufoType: STR_SMALL_SCOUT race: STR_MUTON region: STR_NORTH_AFRICA trajectory: P8 missionId: 381 missionType: STR_SENTRY_RETALIATION"
  - "gameTime: 1998-10-05 23:30:00 siteId: 10 siteType: STR_DEAD_CATTLE race: STR_FARMER region: STR_SOUTH_EAST_ASIA deployment: STR_DEAD_CATTLE missionId: 394 missionType: STR_DEAD_CATTLE"
  - "gameTime: 1998-10-07 13:30:00 ufoId: 45 ufoType: STR_MEDIUM_GROUND_CONVOY race: STR_ZSRR region: STR_SIBERIA trajectory: P_CHWC1_Z3 missionId: 379 missionType: STR_CULT_INFILTRATION_ZSRR"
  - "gameTime: 1998-10-07 21:30:00 ufoId: 46 ufoType: STR_SENTRY_SHIP race: STR_MUTON region: STR_NORTH_AFRICA trajectory: __RETALIATION_ASSAULT_RUN missionId: 381 missionType: STR_SENTRY_RETALIATION"

and before that, only two UFOs with the Secdoids crew on it...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 11:52:25 am by sirmik »

Offline Fiskun1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5349 on: July 28, 2023, 11:48:59 am »
Well I do have such confidence. :)
"I want to believe!"  :)
Thanks.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5350 on: July 28, 2023, 01:35:09 pm »
same problem, maybe this will help?

(...)
  - "month: 22 script: recurringRetaliation id: 381 type: STR_SENTRY_RETALIATION race: STR_MUTON region: STR_NORTH_AFRICA targetZone: -1 targetArea: -1"
(...)

Yes, but this may happen in month 22 at the earliest (so October 1998).

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5351 on: July 28, 2023, 02:35:26 pm »
Maybe it's worth making retalRaces more fine-grained and removing the more hardcore specimens from the very early stages of the invasion? So no Mutons in '98, but Sectoids and Floaters and Chasers are OK?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5352 on: July 28, 2023, 02:37:57 pm »
Maybe it's worth making retalRaces more fine-grained and removing the more hardcore specimens from the very early stages of the invasion? So no Mutons in '98, but Sectoids and Floaters and Chasers are OK?

The thing is, that's how it should be now. Apparently there's some kind of logic that escapes me. If no UFOs were shot down, then I am at a loss.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5353 on: July 28, 2023, 02:42:23 pm »
Er, retalRaces only comes in two varieties, and the only difference between the two is the addition of STR_ORDER_OF_ELIMINATION after month 46. Or am I misunderstanding something here?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5354 on: July 28, 2023, 03:42:57 pm »
Er, retalRaces only comes in two varieties, and the only difference between the two is the addition of STR_ORDER_OF_ELIMINATION after month 46. Or am I misunderstanding something here?

It's more complex than that, as retals can come both from mission scripts (where the race is taken into account) and from shooting down UFOs (where the race is the same as the one you shot down). Both versions have a list of possible retaliation variants, although for the latter it was added after 3.0.3.

I don't know what has happened here. A save might help.