aliens

Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1949804 times)

Offline MemoryTAS

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 1.8: The Shores of Hell
« Reply #4215 on: May 19, 2021, 11:03:48 pm »
It feels extremely underwhelming to me that the hybrid missions after defeating exalt are a total pushover by comparison. Not that they have to start out extremely difficult right away but even the equipment they use is 90% outclassed by the time you get to them. Only exception is the chempistols/guns and even those are kinda bad at range.

Also are you supposed to have to mass interrogate hybrids you find on like convoys, settlements, farms etc. to get new missions? I just recently (year 2000) unlocked the chemtrails mission and it's still an absolute breeze for me.

Offline Laconian

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4216 on: May 20, 2021, 01:35:07 am »
Should I scrap the infiltration mechanics entirely?

Registered my account so that I could say this: please don't.

At least to me, infiltration missions are quite fun, even if all we get is a different outfit.

In reality I play mostly for these unconventional missions. I always mod a few new items that make them a bit more immersive, and I wish I had the map making skills to submod some extra scenarios (like stopping an assassination attempt on a busy highway, or using jumpsuit camouflage to sneak into somewhere, or making my way across a minefield).

Offline MemoryTAS

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4217 on: May 20, 2021, 04:57:32 pm »

At least to me, infiltration missions are quite fun, even if all we get is a different outfit.

In reality I play mostly for these unconventional missions. I always mod a few new items that make them a bit more immersive, and I wish I had the map making skills to submod some extra scenarios (like stopping an assassination attempt on a busy highway, or using jumpsuit camouflage to sneak into somewhere, or making my way across a minefield).
This post sounds more like a general "infiltration missions" post, when the post you're quoting is specifically about the initial UAC infiltration mission with cavemen disguises. I like the idea of infiltration missions as a whole but I'm not sure about that specific mission, since atm it is quite rough and doesn't exactly feel like it makes sense.

Offline Laconian

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4218 on: May 20, 2021, 05:57:37 pm »
This post sounds more like a general "infiltration missions" post, when the post you're quoting is specifically about the initial UAC infiltration mission with cavemen disguises. I like the idea of infiltration missions as a whole but I'm not sure about that specific mission, since atm it is quite rough and doesn't exactly feel like it makes sense.

I don't disagree that that mission doesn't make much sense without forcing some headcanon. From my part, just having to wear a different outfit is enough though. From a general perspective, removing the craft and making the mission non-abortable could work for everyone else, I think.

Offline unarmed drifter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4219 on: May 20, 2021, 07:31:17 pm »
removing the craft and making the mission non-abortable could work for everyone else, I think.

imo all inflitration missions should work like that. Because you infiltrated you're now at the heart of the enemy - then your cover blows and shtf

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4220 on: May 21, 2021, 05:35:42 pm »
Can I just say how much I love the (...) missions?

Yes! ;)

Thank you, I'm actually developing the mod in these directions now.

It feels extremely underwhelming to me that the hybrid missions after defeating exalt are a total pushover by comparison. Not that they have to start out extremely difficult right away but even the equipment they use is 90% outclassed by the time you get to them. Only exception is the chempistols/guns and even those are kinda bad at range.

Also are you supposed to have to mass interrogate hybrids you find on like convoys, settlements, farms etc. to get new missions? I just recently (year 2000) unlocked the chemtrails mission and it's still an absolute breeze for me.

Frankly the hybrid arc is in a constant flux. These missions were never supposed to be hard, but I guess some improvements are in order. All in due time.

Welcome! And no worries, the concept definitely stays. Else it wouldn't be much of X-Files in the X-Com Files... :)

As for modding, if you want to give it a try - either for XCF or just X-Com in general - it's quite easy, as the game was made to make it as straightforward as possible. There are several OXC servers where you can get some help for starters, there's the Ruleset Reference to give you all modifiable data, also I actually made this short manual for making maps (it's fun  and reasonably easy).

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4221 on: May 21, 2021, 08:12:58 pm »
Random question: IIRC, the nations that betrayed humanity and left the XCOM Project were no longer targeted by Terror Attacks, right? Does that mean that if at one point all nations left said project, terror missions would be mostly gone? Haven't ever got to that point, so I dunno.
Does this mod include a special game over scene if such strange scenario happens?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4222 on: May 22, 2021, 11:36:46 am »
Random question: IIRC, the nations that betrayed humanity and left the XCOM Project were no longer targeted by Terror Attacks, right? Does that mean that if at one point all nations left said project, terror missions would be mostly gone? Haven't ever got to that point, so I dunno.
Does this mod include a special game over scene if such strange scenario happens?

I don't think such a rule exists at all, but I am not 100% certain.

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4223 on: May 22, 2021, 05:15:33 pm »
I don't think such a rule exists at all, but I am not 100% certain.

You mean nations that have abandoned the project not being targeted by aliens' terror attacks, OR getting a game over by losing all allied nations?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4224 on: May 23, 2021, 01:36:48 pm »
You mean nations that have abandoned the project not being targeted by aliens' terror attacks, OR getting a game over by losing all allied nations?

The first. I know the second is not how it works.

Offline Georgie122

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4225 on: May 24, 2021, 07:39:00 pm »
Heya! I'm a newbie, but loving X-comfiles sofar ^^.

I do have a question; how do you train your soldiers Psi-skill during battle? My soldiers don't seem to gain any psi skill points - They're currently at 70+/50 due to the psilabs, and I can mindcontrol Floaters and Mutons, but despite those succesful "captures" it doesn't seem to advance my psi skill.

Am I doing something wrong? What exactly gives psi-experience?

Offline MemoryTAS

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4226 on: May 24, 2021, 09:12:30 pm »
50 is the cap for psi skill for human units (excluding certain commendations).

Offline Georgie122

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: May 24, 2021, 10:50:48 pm »
Ah gotcha! I also wonder how you get the countries back you'd lost via a pact. I think I've destroyed the base there, is it RNG?

Offline MemoryTAS

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4228 on: May 24, 2021, 11:46:55 pm »
You used to be able to but not anymore. Now they're gone for good, just like in vanilla.

Offline 8mono

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4229 on: May 25, 2021, 10:28:38 am »
Heya! I'm a newbie, but loving X-comfiles sofar ^^.

I do have a question; how do you train your soldiers Psi-skill during battle? My soldiers don't seem to gain any psi skill points - They're currently at 70+/50 due to the psilabs, and I can mindcontrol Floaters and Mutons, but despite those succesful "captures" it doesn't seem to advance my psi skill.

Am I doing something wrong? What exactly gives psi-experience?

If you're really desperate and don't mind spoilers you can make it so the commendations are always visible in one of the game's settings files, either that or going into a "New Battle" and opening up the ufopeadia --> commendations, then looking at the ones that give Psi Skill/Strength

Im not sure how spoilerish this is but just to be sure there are at least two ways I've gotten them and thats through:
Spoiler:
Puppetmaster/Puppeteer (I forget what its called) Commendation: You have to get kills through mind controlled enemies killing other enemies
Sorcerer Commendation: Getting kills with psi weapons directly like the Storm Rose or Dagon Staff/Heart Crusher Staff

I'm not entirely sure if the stunned enemies commendation also gives some sort of psi skill or just psi strength