Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1950264 times)

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 1.8: The Shores of Hell
« Reply #4170 on: April 29, 2021, 08:02:48 pm »
So, only apply the penalty if the guy is present?
No, I'd apply higher penalties if the guy is present/could be extracted and lower penalties if he is not. No penatly would mean the council is made of of sensible people, which it is arguably not :P

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4171 on: April 30, 2021, 11:47:24 am »
No, I'd apply higher penalties if the guy is present/could be extracted and lower penalties if he is not. No penatly would mean the council is made of of sensible people, which it is arguably not :P

We'll see. It's just 50 points, so meh. And the descriptions hint at a more complex situation than "is there"/"isn't there".

Offline justaround

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4172 on: April 30, 2021, 12:45:54 pm »
Sounds like a fun module, but quite complex on both the base code and the content... :)
I was wondering about this one and whether it could be implemented simply. Would it be possible to make the rebel support managed through some council contacts fluff-wise, but mechanically simply return support of a country, with reset funding size to make it start really small (rebels not being able to spare much as they retake the country, but doing better the longer it's not under alien control anymore)?

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: April 30, 2021, 04:56:52 pm »
I was wondering about this one and whether it could be implemented simply. Would it be possible to make the rebel support managed through some council contacts fluff-wise, but mechanically simply return support of a country, with reset funding size to make it start really small (rebels not being able to spare much as they retake the country, but doing better the longer it's not under alien control anymore)?
Not possible given current mechanics unfortunately, you can not "reset" funding.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4174 on: May 04, 2021, 03:13:56 pm »
Solarius, what are your plans concerning manufacturing costs/profits? Right now there are no items above (or even at) the break-even point, and the only items that come close are craft cannons (gauss/rail). While I take it that this is intended, the disparity between craft cannons and all other items seem kind of odd.

Offline hipsu

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4175 on: May 04, 2021, 03:57:01 pm »
Solarius, what are your plans concerning manufacturing costs/profits? Right now there are no items above (or even at) the break-even point.

Oh, I have an idea I've been meaning to suggest. Let's make Psiclone the only profitable item (gotta cater to those Exalt addicts!). Then have the game keep tally of how many you've sold, and after some number you'd start to get negative events from the Council accusing you of diverting your efforts from intercepting the Aliens to becoming a drug tycoon. ;D

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4176 on: May 04, 2021, 04:35:09 pm »
Oh, I have an idea I've been meaning to suggest. Let's make Psiclone the only profitable item (gotta cater to those Exalt addicts!). Then have the game keep tally of how many you've sold, and after some number you'd start to get negative events from the Council accusing you of diverting your efforts from intercepting the Aliens to becoming a drug tycoon. ;D
First off: not possible given current game mechanics. Secondly, terminating EXALT already sees X-COM/the council/whoever flooding the market with a cheaper, more effective version of it. X-COM basically creates a drug cartel for the good of mankind. Why should anyone buy an inferior version of psiclone at that point?

Offline hipsu

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: May 04, 2021, 05:55:36 pm »
First off: not possible given current game mechanics. Secondly, terminating EXALT already sees X-COM/the council/whoever flooding the market with a cheaper, more effective version of it. X-COM basically creates a drug cartel for the good of mankind. Why should anyone buy an inferior version of psiclone at that point?

1. Fine. I imagined it would be relatively simple.
2. You'd manufacture the new good stuff, not inferior. And yes the Council or whoever is taking care of it (but not X-Com unless you're actually putting engineers to the task). And you bet the Council is making a sweet profit from it, those bastards. So then have the council be angry at X-Com for getting involved in the selling and disrupting the market. Or write any fluff that works.

The thought of drugs being the only profitable item and X-Com hustling at it is just too funny to me, in a dark way. And it would be funny if there were some negative consequences. And if profitable Psiclone just doesn't work story wise, then make Storm manufacturable and profitable etc.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: May 04, 2021, 08:28:10 pm »
1. Fine. I imagined it would be relatively simple.

This is the latest ruleset reference for OXCE. As far as i am aware there are no event triggers for item sales (or any way to bind anything to sale numbers of items). Let me know if you find a way to make it work.

2. You'd manufacture the new good stuff, not inferior. And yes the Council or whoever is taking care of it (but not X-Com unless you're actually putting engineers to the task). And you bet the Council is making a sweet profit from it, those bastards. So then have the council be angry at X-Com for getting involved in the selling and disrupting the market. Or write any fluff that works.
That would be quite the feat, seeing X-COM with it's limited resources outcompete/outsell the council nations who have - for all intents and purposes - unlimted production resources and finances. I don't think it being Storm or Psiclone would make a difference tbh.

IIRC Solarius also stated in the past that X-COM does not directly buy or sell stuff, but that the council acts as an intermediary. Hence his idea of using Council Credits instead of $.

Offline MemoryTAS

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: May 04, 2021, 09:15:16 pm »
Solarius, what are your plans concerning manufacturing costs/profits? Right now there are no items above (or even at) the break-even point, and the only items that come close are craft cannons (gauss/rail). While I take it that this is intended, the disparity between craft cannons and all other items seem kind of odd.
Pretty sure you can profit off electric prods decently well. Haven't found anything else yet that makes decent buck tho.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4180 on: May 04, 2021, 10:06:52 pm »
Pretty sure you can profit off electric prods decently well. Haven't found anything else yet that makes decent buck tho.

How would you profit off those, taking into account salary for engineers and maintenance costs? They cost $1000 to produce and you can sell them for $6000, but they take 600 eng. hours to make. One engineer costs $25k a month. Meaning one engineer can make about one of those a month. You actually lose money by doing that. The profit indiciator in the manufacturing window only takes into account item cost and sell price. You actually just lose less money than by not manufacturing anything.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 10:08:39 pm by krautbernd »

Offline MemoryTAS

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4181 on: May 04, 2021, 10:58:24 pm »
I later realized you probably took into account engineer costs and yeah. Granted, selling something is probably better than firing and rehiring engineers but not a true profit

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: May 05, 2021, 02:45:15 pm »

I think it's not completely true, some items might profitable, but only if they require limited materials.

I'm not sure about the cannons, but if making them still nets a loss, then it doesn't really matter.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4183 on: May 05, 2021, 04:03:32 pm »
I'm not sure about the cannons, but if making them still nets a loss, then it doesn't really matter.

Yeah, that was (supposed to be) my original question - are you balancing the mod towards manufacturing not being viable to support x-com financially?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4184 on: May 05, 2021, 09:05:28 pm »
Yeah, that was (supposed to be) my original question - are you balancing the mod towards manufacturing not being viable to support x-com financially?

Yes, definitely, for several reasons, both gaming and lore.