aliens

Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1949391 times)

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 1.4: Signs of Apocalypse
« Reply #3645 on: June 07, 2020, 01:59:58 am »
Isn't the issue with cult weapons justified as transport as much or more than procurement? I mean, you are basically flying your agents in on civilian airliners and presumably shipping the guns in separately to be picked up on site... That's a lot easier to do with weapons that aren't as iconically military as a PKM.
I always thought the issue is that most countries are iffy on letting X-COM use big guns, due to it being a jurisprudence nightmare that could be used in dirty ways by other council members ("uh, those aren't Mossad agents sneaking around Iranian Nuclear Reactors. Those are bona-fide X-COM members. They got alien skull insignias in their swimwear and everything. They are uh, investigating... Stuff. Explosives are tools of investigation")

That, and the fact X-COM is probably considered a joke until Promo I. There's always some super-skeptical fellow who believes everything cam be "explained logically".

So they don't allow X-COM to buy and use these guns and ammo for those, but the regulations never said anything about taking it from killed cult members. Classic loophole.

Offline nicedayright

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3646 on: June 08, 2020, 06:14:04 am »
Stuff like this happens IRL with cops and military units. Just for fun, look up some pictures of Brazilian or Argentinian SWAT using Bren guns and shit they've confiscated because their issue weapons just weren't cutting it.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: June 08, 2020, 10:32:45 pm »
Solarius, are STR_ALLOY_CANNON_ROUNDS_X50 supposed to cost 80k a pop? They seem kind of unbalanced considering the cost of missiles and the cannon itself. They used to cost ~25k a few versions back iirc, which is kind of managable early on. 80k is pretty substantial early game - that's 360k for a full rearm. Missiles cost a fraction of that.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 11:00:12 pm by krautbernd »

Offline RolandVasko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: June 09, 2020, 10:42:31 am »
^^

amybe there should be just 8k per 1piece

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3649 on: June 09, 2020, 01:10:16 pm »
Yes, you're right. One 0 too many.

Offline Mrvex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3650 on: June 09, 2020, 03:27:49 pm »
Was Chainsaw added recently ? I am playing this mod like since February and only now i discovered it and oh good lord check out its stats

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3651 on: June 09, 2020, 07:15:48 pm »
Not sure what to make of the stats, since it's a "pseudo" melee weapon - i.e. it has a ranged attack for clearing terrain but also a normal melee attack. As far as I can tell the ranged attack has no damage bonus, while the melee attack has 0.5*strength? How does this comapre to other weapons, such as the alloy or plasma sword?

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: June 09, 2020, 09:42:00 pm »
don't have the stats completely in mind, but even without bonus, 35dmg*5, cutting, at just 30% TUs is far out in the "insane" category...
plasma sword will definately top it though.
it does not seem a hightech lategame item, so its insanely strong, until stuff gets really armored.

Offline Doc

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3653 on: June 09, 2020, 10:34:40 pm »
Civilian engineers carry them sometimes. Had a cool moment during a Dagon town attack where one went hero mode and whacked 4 cultists in an alley. I like to think we left that guy our business card.

Offline anothrgamer1234

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3654 on: June 11, 2020, 06:11:31 pm »
Not sure what to make of the stats, since it's a "pseudo" melee weapon - i.e. it has a ranged attack for clearing terrain but also a normal melee attack. As far as I can tell the ranged attack has no damage bonus, while the melee attack has 0.5*strength? How does this comapre to other weapons, such as the alloy or plasma sword?

That attack is for clearing terrain? I guess that's why it keeps getting redirected when I try to use it on enemies.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: June 11, 2020, 06:41:52 pm »
Solarius, would you mind reviewing the way alien electronics are researched? Right now they require both an alien engineer and a leader interrogation, but can be gotten for free from an engineer. Is this intended? Because this seems kind of strange, progression wise, especialy if you have the chance of getting this from an engineer anyway.

That attack is for clearing terrain? I guess that's why it keeps getting redirected when I try to use it on enemies.
Well, I guess it would be, judging by the pedia entry and the fact that the kukri&pickaxe handles this the same way. Maybe the mod author can clarify?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 06:44:49 pm by krautbernd »

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: June 11, 2020, 09:00:30 pm »
The "aimed" attacks of a chainsaw can work well against zombies, especially if you hit from the back.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: June 12, 2020, 05:17:24 pm »
The avionics mod prereq currently requires multiple advanced crafts to be researched. Is this intended? Wouldn't it be sufficient to just require the ultimate radar craft for this, seeing how it practically is "the" avionics craft (as in, radar detection)? The engine mods have separate unlocks, maybe we could have these for avionics too?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 05:59:49 pm by krautbernd »

Offline LuigiWhatif

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3658 on: June 16, 2020, 05:45:23 am »
I have some questions about the helix psion enhancement.  I'm still on 1.3.2 in case these are answered in the newer version.  I don't see the requirements for helix psion so I don't know what stats I need.  Second, the image is a hybrid so does that mean it is a hybrid only enhancement?  Finally, is it compatible with the helix knight enhancement?  One of my psi soldiers is eligible for the knight enhancement but I don't want to do it if it will lock them out of helix psion.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3659 on: June 17, 2020, 04:39:25 pm »
don't have the stats completely in mind, but even without bonus, 35dmg*5, cutting, at just 30% TUs is far out in the "insane" category...
plasma sword will definately top it though.
it does not seem a hightech lategame item, so its insanely strong, until stuff gets really armored.

Against unarmoured enemies all melee is good, and most melee weapons are easier to use than the chainsaw.

Solarius, would you mind reviewing the way alien electronics are researched? Right now they require both an alien engineer and a leader interrogation, but can be gotten for free from an engineer. Is this intended? Because this seems kind of strange, progression wise, especialy if you have the chance of getting this from an engineer anyway.

I HATE this bloody thing! It's always too easy to get and too hard at the same time!

OK, removing this Leader Plus requirement. I'll fix potential issues later.

Well, I guess it would be, judging by the pedia entry and the fact that the kukri&pickaxe handles this the same way. Maybe the mod author can clarify?

What should I clarify? It has two attack modes, that's all. Everything else is self-evident, I think.

The avionics mod prereq currently requires multiple advanced crafts to be researched. Is this intended? Wouldn't it be sufficient to just require the ultimate radar craft for this, seeing how it practically is "the" avionics craft (as in, radar detection)? The engine mods have separate unlocks, maybe we could have these for avionics too?

It's for easier tree modification in the future, and isn't exactly illogical or anything like that.

I have some questions about the helix psion enhancement.  I'm still on 1.3.2 in case these are answered in the newer version.  I don't see the requirements for helix psion so I don't know what stats I need.

The description says it directly: you need all other transformations on your hybrid.

Second, the image is a hybrid so does that mean it is a hybrid only enhancement?

...obviously?

Finally, is it compatible with the helix knight enhancement?

Obviously not, since the Helix Knight is human only.