aliens

Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1951505 times)

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 1.3: Sanity Check
« Reply #3540 on: May 12, 2020, 03:51:17 pm »
Soo, how long until the next release? From what I gathered at  github, it should be mostly ready by now.

xcomfan

« Reply #3541 on: May 12, 2020, 09:46:44 pm »
Soo, how long until the next release? From what I gathered at  github, it should be mostly ready by now.

Well, gonna try at least a bit when it comes out....as for the 40k mod there 8s Red Dawn commissar? Maybe that faction has a paramilitary/ political rank structure? Might be interesting

Offline vadracas

• Colonel
  • Just another player/modder combo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3542 on: May 12, 2020, 10:35:03 pm »
What does the 40k mod have to do with this?

Offline Thermite

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: May 12, 2020, 11:51:39 pm »
Yeah, but as it is, you get crop circles indefinitely. When I decide to remove this mission after a certain months has passed, I'll do the same with this event.

I mean, at a certain scale, not finding out a crop circles happened, doesn't make sense, since we are a gigantic organization at that point. Maybe add a bigger penalty for each promotion or disable "old crop circles" entirely after promotion 3 and make crop circles missions more prevalent?

Offline sardokar

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: May 13, 2020, 05:42:15 pm »
Hey everyone, I had a problem where when I lauched the mod, the game said that it wasn't hable to find something about the sonic shotgun. Does anyone know how to fix that?

(I've download both openxcom and oxce tho I don't have tftd so maybe it's that)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3545 on: May 13, 2020, 07:24:36 pm »
Hey everyone, I had a problem where when I lauched the mod, the game said that it wasn't hable to find something about the sonic shotgun. Does anyone know how to fix that?

(I've download both openxcom and oxce tho I don't have tftd so maybe it's that)

You don't need OpenXcom.

You only need OXCE.

Problem is that you are running OpenXcom, instead of OXCE.

Offline sardokar

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3546 on: May 14, 2020, 11:48:41 am »
Thanks

Offline null_subject

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: May 15, 2020, 09:38:47 am »
I mean, at a certain scale, not finding out a crop circles happened, doesn't make sense, since we are a gigantic organization at that point. Maybe add a bigger penalty for each promotion or disable "old crop circles" entirely after promotion 3 and make crop circles missions more prevalent?

Hmmm, I think the idea is that at some point, you don't care about crop circles, not that you have no idea they are still happening. There could be a monthly expenditure for sending out low level investigators to do this kind of stuff automatically. It could require a base facility. In any case, the simplest method (and the one solarius has mentioned) which is to just stop those missions after a certain time sounds totally acceptable from a narrative point of view. There could be flavor text to accompany this change, like the random events. What are "old crop circles"? Is there another type of crop circle mission I haven't seen yet?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 11:22:11 am by null_subject »

Offline justaround

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: May 15, 2020, 07:19:40 pm »
There could be flavor text to accompany this change, like the random events.
I really like this idea. In fact, I wouldn't mind some sort of one-time guaranteed random events for various bigger changes in the world in general. Stuff like foreshadowing of certain events informing one that council/player received intel about this or that (rare creature, some sightings, special mission or new type of it being unlocked/disappearing).

Examples such as:
Spoiler:
"An important antarctic research station stopped responding to any attempts of communication. While currently there's no reports of any discernible threats approaching its area, rumors claim that the Council is conerned. You will be provided with actionable information once it will be deemed necessary" a few days before The Thing event, or
"A vast cave system reaching deep into Earth's crust was discovered in [area]. Jumbled rumors of dangerous creatures are currently investigated by the Council's intelligence networks." some time after researching the whole underground shebang
could add quite much to the narrative and a bit more of insight into X-Com - Council relations.

Offline BlindWatcher

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3549 on: May 16, 2020, 06:12:17 am »
more of insight into X-Com - Council relations.

I'll admit I'm not very far at all, but I thought up something this morning exactly along these lines:
The mod's all about red tape, but who is causing all that red tape? Why do you HAVE to eliminate at least one cult before you can research promotion III? Well what I figured is that the UN bureaucrats are effectively deadlocked due to cult interference prior to the elimination of at least one. With evidence to back up the corruption of a handful of certain UN officials, their non-cult allies distance themselves quickly and throw their support behind XCOM. So even if the other cults are around, the deadlock is ended and enough of a majority now exists for all restrictions to be jettisoned. Pretty simple explanation.

Would be nice if something along those lines unlocked along with Promotion I, II, and III. Partial text from a meeting or recorded phone call about why XCOM is being so heavily stonewalled, even if you drag  a sectoid corpse right in front of them.

Offline Bobit

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3550 on: May 16, 2020, 07:03:04 pm »
I don't think it's about red tape and traitorous council so much as it is about funding and trust by the time you reach Promo II->III. The council has evidence there are cults and a small number of aliens, not that the cults are working with aliens. They're not ready to allow you alien military technology.

Offline Thermite

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: May 18, 2020, 03:52:06 am »
What are "old crop circles"? Is there another type of crop circle mission I haven't seen yet?

It is a random event where XCom misses a crop circle and receives a point penalty because of it.

xcomfan

« Reply #3552 on: May 19, 2020, 02:37:21 pm »
I'll admit I'm not very far at all, but I thought up something this morning exactly along these lines:
The mod's all about red tape, but who is causing all that red tape? Why do you HAVE to eliminate at least one cult before you can research promotion III? Well what I figured is that the UN bureaucrats are effectively deadlocked due to cult interference prior to the elimination of at least one. With evidence to back up the corruption of a handful of certain UN officials, their non-cult allies distance themselves quickly and throw their support behind XCOM. So even if the other cults are around, the deadlock is ended and enough of a majority now exists for all restrictions to be jettisoned. Pretty simple explanation.

Would be nice if something along those lines unlocked along with Promotion I, II, and III. Partial text from a meeting or recorded phone call about why XCOM is being so heavily stonewalled, even if you drag  a sectoid corpse right in front of them.

A more masochistic approach may be to eliminate all cults to get a promotion III, or make ir a prequisite for an eventual pronotion IV that lead to super-techno equipment to get to cydonia...

Offline vadracas

• Colonel
  • Just another player/modder combo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: May 19, 2020, 02:57:38 pm »
A more masochistic approach may be to eliminate all cults to get a promotion III, or make ir a prequisite for an eventual pronotion IV that lead to super-techno equipment to get to cydonia...

The promotions are bureaucratic...

After promo III you have been given full rights by the council to do whatever you need to, so how does a promo IV make any sense?

xcomfan

« Reply #3554 on: May 19, 2020, 09:12:41 pm »

The promotions are bureaucratic...

After promo III you have been given full rights by the council to do whatever you need to, so how does a promo IV make any sense?

Just for more frustration fun!! Seriously, don't know, i though to expand the mod a little more, bringin some things to unlock :)