aliens

Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1951495 times)

Offline INFERNO

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 1.3: Sanity Check
« Reply #3510 on: May 02, 2020, 02:35:26 pm »
 Scorch, I have this question. Will there be more advanced psionic weapons in the game? I'm not talking about amps that allow you to control your opponents, but things that do damage. What we have now looks very primitive. Staffs-as if I was in ancient times, where shamans with staffs conduct rituals. The Lotus glove is an interesting weapon, but the range is too short. Will there be an alien psionic weapon? For example, perhaps there is something in the ethereals? Some kind of sphere that concentrates psi energy and releases a death ray? Taking control is fun, but it's annoying and addictive. Then you can't do without it. I want an alternative. Some device that deals psi damage (destructively hits the victim's mind, killing it) or a psi-energy concentrator that shoots psionic beams. What do you say?

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: May 02, 2020, 03:31:22 pm »
i´d prefer that a lot, compared to psi as is. by design its just way too OP... lategame psi is basically the only thing that matters.

Offline Mrvex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: May 02, 2020, 11:41:45 pm »
Machineguns on tanks would be nice for picking off enemies, but i think these could be only present on tanks that have splash weapons and other tank types could have a ramming melee attack that would do some serious kinetic damage and could be used for reaction attacks in melee.

And there could even be a dedicated dozer-like tank with chemical cannon (Which could start off as tear gas launcher but could be upgraded to Alien chems after their gardens are sold off to MAGMA) on top and dozer blade as its melee weapon with massive frontal armour and really weak side armour. Sectopods could have a stomp ability or electric discharge like in XCOM 2

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3513 on: May 02, 2020, 11:59:21 pm »
Scorch, I have this question. Will there be more advanced psionic weapons in the game? I'm not talking about amps that allow you to control your opponents, but things that do damage. What we have now looks very primitive. Staffs-as if I was in ancient times, where shamans with staffs conduct rituals. The Lotus glove is an interesting weapon, but the range is too short. Will there be an alien psionic weapon? For example, perhaps there is something in the ethereals? Some kind of sphere that concentrates psi energy and releases a death ray? Taking control is fun, but it's annoying and addictive. Then you can't do without it. I want an alternative. Some device that deals psi damage (destructively hits the victim's mind, killing it) or a psi-energy concentrator that shoots psionic beams. What do you say?

I don't have any concrete plans, but who knows, psi cannons might happen at some point.
The main problem is that our enemy is rather, umm, conservative with technology... So it's easy to surpass them.

And I'm not going to forbid mind control, it's too important for X-Com as a setting. I've already nerfed it a lot.

Machineguns on tanks would be nice for picking off enemies, but i think these could be only present on tanks that have splash weapons and other tank types could have a ramming melee attack that would do some serious kinetic damage and could be used for reaction attacks in melee.

The problem is that the secondary weapon must have unlimited ammo.

And there could even be a dedicated dozer-like tank with chemical cannon (Which could start off as tear gas launcher but could be upgraded to Alien chems after their gardens are sold off to MAGMA) on top and dozer blade as its melee weapon with massive frontal armour and really weak side armour.

Sure, doable.

Sectopods could have a stomp ability or electric discharge like in XCOM 2

Doable as a special melee attack.

Offline INFERNO

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: May 03, 2020, 12:47:41 am »
Scorch, you may have misunderstood me, but I didn't say that taking control should be removed. I mean, when you use this feature, it's addictive. You start taking control of your enemies, and you think, " wow, this is awesome!" After that, you can't give it up, because it's so convenient.

What about the tanks. You say that additional weapons must have infinite ammo. But in Piratez, the machine gun runs out of ammo. I'm not a programmer, so I don't know how to do this, but maybe Dioxine can help?

Also, about the psi-weapons. If the aliens don't do this, then maybe XCOM will develop it itself? After all, someone made The Lotus glove. XCOM could disassemble such devices, understand how they work, and then create its own version of psi weapons. After the player has disassembled and studied the available psi weapons(gloves, staffs), they will be able to discover the technology for building their models. Of course, this requires the best laboratory. And what happens next depends only on your imagination.

Offline JustTheDude/CABSHEP

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: May 03, 2020, 01:01:30 am »

What about the tanks. You say that additional weapons must have infinite ammo. But in Piratez, the machine gun runs out of ammo. I'm not a programmer, so I don't know how to do this, but maybe Dioxine can help?

Which vehicle in Piratez have two weapons? All of the Armored Vehicles and Tanks have only one main cannon and thats it.

Offline INFERNO

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: May 03, 2020, 02:09:54 am »
JustTheDude, if you played Piratez, you should know that the tank has a machine gun(or other auxiliary weapons) in addition to the gun.

Offline Mrvex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: May 03, 2020, 08:07:17 pm »
I would like to request a small (maybe ?) but convenient QoL feature, would it be possible to have some more obvious sign that enemy has surrendered ? Like i dont expect sprites for them to kneel and put their hands up but maybe a small white flag above their head ?

I am asking for this because in the heat of the battle i get to mow down people that were trying to surrender because i have no idea if they panicked before and are weaponless due to that or if they surrendered and wont pick up that rifle lying over there and shoot my soldier in the back if i leave them alone.

Offline INFERNO

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: May 03, 2020, 08:28:54 pm »
Mrvex, just because an enemy gives up doesn't mean they won't fight anymore. The enemy simply panicked. The panicked person is added to the list of"surrenders". If only the "surrenders" are left on the map, then you win and get prisoners. Therefore, do not write off the panicked from the accounts, on the next move they can throw a grenade at you.

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: May 03, 2020, 10:00:07 pm »
Dunno about you guys, but I always throw away the weapons of stunned enemies. Let's see them retrieve their guns on the roof.

Enviado de meu moto e5 play usando o Tapatalk

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3520 on: May 04, 2020, 01:46:19 pm »
Scorch, you may have misunderstood me, but I didn't say that taking control should be removed. I mean, when you use this feature, it's addictive. You start taking control of your enemies, and you think, " wow, this is awesome!" After that, you can't give it up, because it's so convenient.

True, which is why I added some features to make it less attractive, mostly massive drains.

Actually, you're right - this should be possible now, since tanks are no longer HWPs (I forgot). It's just a lot of work I am not motivated for.

Also, about the psi-weapons. If the aliens don't do this, then maybe XCOM will develop it itself? After all, someone made The Lotus glove. XCOM could disassemble such devices, understand how they work, and then create its own version of psi weapons. After the player has disassembled and studied the available psi weapons(gloves, staffs), they will be able to discover the technology for building their models. Of course, this requires the best laboratory. And what happens next depends only on your imagination.

Possible, yeah.

I would like to request a small (maybe ?) but convenient QoL feature, would it be possible to have some more obvious sign that enemy has surrendered ? Like i dont expect sprites for them to kneel and put their hands up but maybe a small white flag above their head ?

This is a question to the developers, not me. :)

I am asking for this because in the heat of the battle i get to mow down people that were trying to surrender because i have no idea if they panicked before and are weaponless due to that or if they surrendered and wont pick up that rifle lying over there and shoot my soldier in the back if i leave them alone.

Well, IMO having this knowledge would be too good and also boring as hell.

Offline RolandVasko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: May 04, 2020, 01:59:08 pm »

And there could even be a dedicated dozer-like tank with chemical cannon (Which could start off as tear gas launcher but could be upgraded to Alien chems after their gardens are sold off to MAGMA) on top and dozer blade as its melee weapon with massive frontal armour and really weak side armour. Sectopods could have a stomp ability or electric discharge like in XCOM 2

..or, even better, with tank°ish´flamenthrower, - just as exist such tanks in realy, or also as in CC.games, too

(Command & Conquer series)

Offline INFERNO

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: May 04, 2020, 03:14:04 pm »
Scorch, I want to reset you again about an important topic for me. Will the system for opening Gauss weapons be reworked? So that it starts with the study of mass accelerators, and does not require a meeting with reptilians,as it is very difficult to reach them, as well as to get an underground mission. It's just very strange that it's much easier to develop a laser weapon than a Gauss. Although the principle of operation of Gauss weapons has long been known to mankind(Wikipedia). What is missing is a compact power source, which we will learn how to create from the aliens. It's the same with mass accelerators. Their discovery should not require finding samples of these weapons,because kinetic weapons, compared to laser weapons,are very primitive, and people already know how it works. The only problem is the power source.

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: May 04, 2020, 07:09:11 pm »
its not that simple at all.
Not only the power source, but also proper materials.
Sure we could do now a gauss rifle (and put it on a power cord...), its just gonna weight a ton. Mass accelerators have the problem of wearing out really fast. As in "shoot once and spend a lot of time preparing the thing to ever fire a again"...

Offline INFERNO

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: May 04, 2020, 09:08:26 pm »
TheCurse, are you talking about materials? The alien alloy can solve all the problems. The problem is in the source of energy, which is solved by opening the elerium battery. If you have read its description, you should understand what potential it has. If humanity can invent a very compact and very powerful energy source, then we will see Gauss weapons and laser machine guns in real life. In the game, this source is an eleria battery. About weight-in the game Gauss weapons weigh a lot. Heavy options without a special suit can not be lifted. So it's all right.