Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1949481 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: The X-Com Files - 1.2: Masters of the Universe
« Reply #3270 on: February 09, 2020, 08:13:41 pm »
I have never paid attention to it, but according to game mechanics are enemies who have both hands full able to put one of their items in backpack and throw a grenade? Let's say one holds a laser pistol and a knife and have a grenade in pocket, can they use it? Because if not, one-handed guys would be the priority.

Yes, they can do that.

Offline zoli

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: February 13, 2020, 06:29:19 pm »
Quote from: Science Laboratory Ufopaedia entry
Throwing more scientists at a problem becomes pointless after a certain point, so it is senseless to build more than a single facility of this type per base.
Is this only about the 1 Lab/base limit? Are there any special formulas on research mechanics? I know that reports are always finished at midnight so it doesn't make sense to assign many researchers to short research topics.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: February 13, 2020, 07:27:50 pm »
Is this only about the 1 Lab/base limit? Are there any special formulas on research mechanics? I know that reports are always finished at midnight so it doesn't make sense to assign many researchers to short research topics.

This quote refers only to the 1/base thing. There are no special formulas between different types of labs or anything like that.
And yes, the most efficient yield from scientists is to only put 1 on each project. But efficiency doesn't equal practicality. (Or even sanity.)

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: February 16, 2020, 05:37:36 pm »
Note though that researching the same topic in different bases won't do anything, it's a shame but that's how the game is coded.

Speaking of, peering at the github changes, I noticed an important change is incoming. Spoilering this just in case.

Spoiler:
Rubber bullets, at fucking long last! Alas, they only work with the regular shotgun at the moment, not for the Black-ops Shotgun, despite being identical and only slightly more precise. Why is that? Shouldn't these non-lethal rounds be compatible to some degree?
Granted, it's a work-around until you unlock dart guns and better stuff, but still, it would be better if the black-ops shotgun can also use rubber bullets IMO.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: February 16, 2020, 06:22:28 pm »
Dunno, I guess both shotguns would be fine.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 01:28:48 am by Solarius Scorch »

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3275 on: February 17, 2020, 12:10:15 am »
Thanks! I hope you do so.
Have you considered future non-lethal devices for the future, or will that be all for the future? In Piratez there's a mod with foam grenades.
In any case: Are humanoid chassis ala Terminator for AI Units still a thing? What about cyborgs? I wonder what are you planning you next.

Offline Ridley

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: February 21, 2020, 09:45:06 am »
Hi, loving this mod! Just had a question, is relocating base facilities a thing? I saw in some other threads that it's a feature of extended via ctrl left click over a facility, but it's not working for me (nothing happens when I ctrl left click the facility). The other features work fine however so I'm assuming it's not enabled, or perhaps a different keybind?

Thanks for any help :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 09:51:05 am by Ridley »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: February 21, 2020, 11:28:41 am »
Thanks! I hope you do so.

I have already. :)

Have you considered future non-lethal devices for the future, or will that be all for the future? In Piratez there's a mod with foam grenades.

No specific plans yet.

In any case: Are humanoid chassis ala Terminator for AI Units still a thing? What about cyborgs? I wonder what are you planning you next.

Yes, I want to add the Enforcer chassis.

Hi, loving this mod! Just had a question, is relocating base facilities a thing? I saw in some other threads that it's a feature of extended via ctrl left click over a facility, but it's not working for me (nothing happens when I ctrl left click the facility). The other features work fine however so I'm assuming it's not enabled, or perhaps a different keybind?

Thanks for any help :)

Welcome and thanks!

No, this option was removed from OXCE. Not even related to this mod, though I approve of this decision.

Offline Ridley

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: February 21, 2020, 01:46:14 pm »
I have already. :)

No specific plans yet.

Yes, I want  ;Dto add the Enforcer chassis.

Welcome and thanks!

No, this option was removed from OXCE. Not even related to this mod, though I approve of this decision.

Ah I thought that may be the case. Im sorry, I know it wasnt a feature of this mod but thought maybe this mod disabled it or something, and was having trouble finding information about it. I will just dismantle and rebuild in this case :P

Thank you for the clarification :). And great work! This mod is really fun especially when you get the heavy tritanium armor, walking through cultist gunfire like the terminator  :D Im only just about to enter the 3rd year so im looking forward to fighting aliens. Already shot down some scouts
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 01:59:19 pm by Ridley »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: February 21, 2020, 02:08:18 pm »
Totally agreed on the heavy tritanium armour! :)
Good hunting!

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3280 on: February 23, 2020, 06:08:54 pm »
Hi.
I have been thinking about an aspect of the XCF.
If I understand it correctly, one of X-Com's mission objectives is keeping the whole monsters/cults/aliens thing secret from the general population.
At the start of the game, there are cults, sometimes monsters. Cults could be kept secret easily enough, monsters only if they do not terrorise a city.

But there comes a point, where X-Com engages in open fire-fights with aliens across farms, forests, etc. These places tend to be free of civilians, but the easy explanation for that is, that they ran away from the landing/crashing UFO.

The point is, by 2001, pretty much the whole population would know that there are aliens and that there is someone fighting them.

So how about introducing 2 research topics.
I. The Masquerade
         Time: Very short (2)
         Dependancies: None
         Building: Intelligence center
                 This would tell the player about the next topic and allow them to research it.

II. End the Masquerade
         Dependancies: The Masquerade
         "We revealed our existence to the general population. The council hates this, but it means we can now recruit proper soldiers and we will not be blamed for someone accidentaly stumbling on the secret."

Researching the second one would end Concerned Citizen missions, End events of the like "Someone found a weird fish, -100 points" and allow recruiting soldiers with boosted minimal starting stats.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 06:13:59 pm by Mathel »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3281 on: February 23, 2020, 06:48:40 pm »
It's an interesting idea, but right now I don't plan on moving in that direction. I realize the masquerade is getting thinner with every month, but it's kinda the plot point: no matter what happens, the Council will never allow its abolishment. (Which is partially why it has so many enemies.)

Offline eXalted

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: February 24, 2020, 01:17:49 am »
X-Com Files is the first X-Com mod that I ever play and I'm just astonished at the things that I have missed until now. It's just so... fresh. I just wanted to say how great it is! Keep up the good work!

A quick question out of curiosity - does lighting have any impact on the alien vision? For example does it make a difference if my soldier is lighted by a fire or if he is hiding in the dark of the night?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 02:12:07 am by eXalted »

Offline Vangrimar1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3283 on: February 24, 2020, 09:53:01 am »
Hi.
I have been thinking about an aspect of the XCF.
If I understand it correctly, one of X-Com's mission objectives is keeping the whole monsters/cults/aliens thing secret from the general population.
At the start of the game, there are cults, sometimes monsters. Cults could be kept secret easily enough, monsters only if they do not terrorise a city.

But there comes a point, where X-Com engages in open fire-fights with aliens across farms, forests, etc. These places tend to be free of civilians, but the easy explanation for that is, that they ran away from the landing/crashing UFO.

The point is, by 2001, pretty much the whole population would know that there are aliens and that there is someone fighting them.

So how about introducing 2 research topics.
I. The Masquerade
         Dependancies: None
                 This would tell the player about the next topic and allow them to research it.

II. End the Masquerade
         Dependancies: The Masquerade
         "We revealed our existence to the general population. The council hates this, but it means we can now recruit proper soldiers and we will not be blamed for someone accidentaly stumbling on the secret."

Researching the second one would end Concerned Citizen missions, End events of the like "Someone found a weird fish, -100 points" and allow recruiting soldiers with boosted minimal starting stats.

Interesting idea. I would suggest the option of converting X-Com forces into resistance. For example, we must defeat the aliens by a certain year, then the council stops financing X-Com and the planet passes under the control of aliens. The remaining X-Com soldiers are forced to hide and lead a guerrilla war. Like in X-Com 2.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: February 24, 2020, 10:39:38 am »
X-Com Files is the first X-Com mod that I ever play and I'm just astonished at the things that I have missed until now. It's just so... fresh. I just wanted to say how great it is! Keep up the good work!

Thank you!

A quick question out of curiosity - does lighting have any impact on the alien vision? For example does it make a difference if my soldier is lighted by a fire or if he is hiding in the dark of the night?

Yes, it makes a whole lot of difference. In light you are visible, in darkness you are not (except from up close). There are also various levels of night vision and camouflage, and some creatures don't even use sight at all.