Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1952148 times)

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.9.9e2: Summertime Lovin'
« Reply #2940 on: October 15, 2019, 11:46:30 pm »
suggestion:
when you get certain armors you have not researched yet (e.g. from processing men exclusively wearing a certain color), you should either be able to research them, or not be able to put them on, since its weird wearing armor but not knowing its stats...

on a different note, i´m getting picked apart. had 16 guys so tough they just needed to stare at a blaster missile for it to turn back where it came from and a bunch of rookies.
now there´s like 5 of them left and some guys who may or may not have seen combat. the training factory (or base...) just started.
so the idea was to get score by shooting down ufos mostly, so i can ignore a lot of other missions that may cost me some more veterans.
what kind of interceptor do i need to take on anything thats not a battleship (or maybe smaller than large)?

EDIT: and wtf happened with mib? first base was a piece of cake, but since then they´ve seriously teched up... there´s pretty much nothing they do not have...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 11:51:15 pm by TheCurse »

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: October 16, 2019, 07:12:33 am »
what kind of interceptor do i need to take on anything thats not a battleship (or maybe smaller than large)?

Thunderstorm armed with 'heavy stingray' rockets and with trained pilot will be enough to strike down every single UFO, except very large ones. I use them to the end of the game, Retaliator and Avenger only for very large (or other, if Th.storms are on repair). Make sure to use pilots with maximized reaction to increase the survivability of your crafts. It's a good tactics to equip your pilots with 'cyber armor' or 'stormtrooper armor' and use craft's upgrade for evasion.

EDIT: and wtf happened with mib? first base was a piece of cake, but since then they´ve seriously teched up... there´s pretty much nothing they do not have...

Nothing happened, just random. You can meet MIB with light equipment and support or with heavy ones.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: October 17, 2019, 08:28:57 pm »
Solarius did. However, how could one enjoy practising English.. oh sorry! ranting! With absolutely poor situational awareness, would have understood of the situation?
Talked to Solarius, he says he's okay with it.

Offline JustTheDude/CABSHEP

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: October 18, 2019, 09:44:11 am »
It's a good tactics to equip your pilots with 'cyber armor' or 'stormtrooper armor' and use craft's upgrade for evasion.

I remember that I read somewhere that armor buffs and nerfs doesn't affect piloting skills. However I'm not 100% sure.

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: October 18, 2019, 10:22:46 am »
I remember that I read somewhere that armor buffs and nerfs doesn't affect piloting skills. However I'm not 100% sure.

Yeah, equipped armor does not change 'dodge' parameter on pilots screen. But as I've noticed during my games it still has affection in real battle. Hmpf... Maybe it's just a self-hypnosis, I don't know :D

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: October 18, 2019, 12:50:20 pm »
Hmm...wonder if enabling armor to modify dogfight parameters might be a worthwile idea to look at in itself. Maybe even requiring certain 'armors' to pilot a craft?

Having pilots wear suits while piloting a MIG or other high-performance crafts does seem kind of strange.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: October 18, 2019, 12:51:31 pm »
Hmm...wonder if enabling armor to modify dogfight parameters might be a worthwile idea to look at in itself. Maybe even requiring certain 'armors' to pilot a craft?

Was discussed and rejected.

The soldier bonuses will apply in the next version tho.

Offline Arcalane

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: October 18, 2019, 01:02:46 pm »

Having pilots wear suits while piloting a MIG or other high-performance crafts does seem kind of strange.

At best, I'd think you would have a custom flight suit* and most ground combat armours would be blacklisted. Fighter cockpits are... let's say space-efficient, and full of a lot of small controls - you wouldn't have the space for some kind of super powersuit, especially not one that inhibits manual dexterity. You sure as hell wouldn't have much space for weapons or other personal supplies either.

Just look up the interior of any reasonably modern fighter jet, really.

*Which could be interesting in itself, if you could (or even needed to) develop special high-tech piloting suits.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: October 18, 2019, 01:21:30 pm »
*Which could be interesting in itself, if you could (or even needed to) develop special high-tech piloting suits.
That's what I am talking about. I know how cramped cockpits can be (even of commercial aircraft). It's not only odd that you can pilot high-performance aircraft wearing nothing but a suit or leather coat, but also that you can apparently do it wearing something as bulky as a bio-exosuit. This might not be a problem with later craft that might be designed with that in mind or use artificial gravity, but it definitely feels off with early game aircraft.

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: October 18, 2019, 03:10:37 pm »
well on later tech level it´d be weird you actually need a pilot at all...
with all the alien tech computers and anti grav engines, but still human pilots fly that thing?
i´d imagine that more of an "autopilot, go there" or "fight that thing" level.
using AI units (and maybe plenty of flight control computer upgrades/extensions) could make a nice research tree as well...

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: October 18, 2019, 04:16:11 pm »
Was discussed and rejected.
Ah, what a shame. Could you link me to the discussion/feature request?

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: October 18, 2019, 04:42:15 pm »
Ah, what a shame. Could you link me to the discussion/feature request?

Most likely in one of the huge threads... i.e. impossible to find.

PS: That's why I try to create one thread for each request... but people don't cooperate.

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: October 18, 2019, 04:47:04 pm »
The newest release of Piratez hints about what will X-Com Files have as well, such as the already mentioned Freshness system (basically fatigue), random base name generators and... Grenades detonating on your hands if their timer reaches 0.  :'(
I hope this is not used here, as it would make everyone have to rework how grenades have been used in XCOM since forever, which is a shame. Granted, it's more realistic yadda yadda, but it's a game with sci-fi elements too.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: October 18, 2019, 04:49:52 pm »
The newest release of Piratez hints about what will X-Com Files have as well, such as the already mentioned Freshness system (basically fatigue), random base name generators and... Grenades detonating on your hands if their timer reaches 0.  :'(
I hope this is not used here, as it would make everyone have to rework how grenades have been used in XCOM since forever, which is a shame. Granted, it's more realistic yadda yadda, but it's a game with sci-fi elements too.
You could still set the grenades to only explode after they've been thrown (don't know which fuse timer settings does what without looking it up, but it should be in the reference). It's also not realistic since in reality you likely wouldn't let go of the lever before throwing the grenade (seeing how most if not all grenades are designed to be primed the moment they are thrown, not beforehand).

Most likely in one of the huge threads... i.e. impossible to find.

PS: That's why I try to create one thread for each request... but people don't cooperate.
Yeah, figured as much since it the first time I've heard of it.

People toning it down with their requests and making better worded and defined requests would probably be beneficial as well.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 04:54:25 pm by krautbernd »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2954 on: October 18, 2019, 05:17:20 pm »
That's what I am talking about. I know how cramped cockpits can be (even of commercial aircraft). It's not only odd that you can pilot high-performance aircraft wearing nothing but a suit or leather coat, but also that you can apparently do it wearing something as bulky as a bio-exosuit. This might not be a problem with later craft that might be designed with that in mind or use artificial gravity, but it definitely feels off with early game aircraft.

Armor is irrelevant for air combat, for Christ's sake... why add pointless limits.