Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1952346 times)

Offline nicedayright

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.9.9d: Samael's Passage
« Reply #2595 on: July 31, 2019, 02:59:54 am »
If I remember correctly, the arcing ballistic property is tied to the weapon, rather than the ammo. This makes beanbag rounds for the 40mm more difficult to implement as they would still arch like the normal rounds, making them practically useless indoors where a beanbag round would be most useful. I ran into the same problem when trying to justify the 40mm buckshot cartridge I wanted to implement (or my idea for Assault Cannon grapeshot in Piratez).  As far as the teargas is concerned, it would have to be flat initial choking damage translated into reactions/stamina. Barring scripts there is no way to apply a DOT effect barring setting a person on fire, and fire is universal, so you wouldn't even be able to get cheeky by turning the fire into stun damage without making the game weird. That said, I don't think the tear gas grenades are necessarily a bad idea, you'd just have to give up on the idea of stun over time and make them tu/stamina draining items to prep a breach and clear (or tie down gill-dogs).

As far as ridiculously large rifles go, you really shouldn't need them until late enough in the game where you have better options. Explosives aren't THAT far in anyway. That said, I'd love to see a Simonov PTRS in the hands of higher tier Red Dawn. Given there relative abundance among east-bloc militias, it wouldn't be that hard to justify. I'm going to check my old Jagged Alliance 2 files, I think there's a useable graphic for on in there somewhere.

I just stopped in to say great mod, scorch. I haven't been keeping up on my updates and it looks like you've added a lot of content since I was last here. I wanted to suggest that maybe, later in a campaign, you could include an option to buy psi-screened recruits? I'm going to screen them manually anyway, but giving us the ability to do away with some of the hassle at the cost of a bit more money per troop would be nice. No pressure though, it's not that big of a hassle.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2596 on: July 31, 2019, 12:48:57 pm »
Thanks!
I do have a plan (a real detailed plan, not just an idea) about advanced soldier types, but it relies on code which doesn't exist yet. If it ever happens, expect a revolution in character advancement.

Offline Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: July 31, 2019, 02:22:39 pm »
Barring scripts there is no way to apply a DOT effect barring setting a person on fire, and fire is universal, so you wouldn't even be able to get cheeky by turning the fire into stun damage without making the game weird. That said, I don't think the tear gas grenades are necessarily a bad idea, you'd just have to give up on the idea of stun over time and make them tu/stamina draining items to prep a breach and clear (or tie down gill-dogs).

What is wrong with adding Yankes scripts? we have daze effect for flashbangs, its effect over time. I can easily tweak it to make pretty much any effect for numbers of an affected target, like, say, DOT - damage n to hp and morale every turn, lasts m turns. numbers can be fixed or randomized. the only issue is to make its a visible effect, which needs to make all of that in-game code rather than in scripts. Doable, tho, if its really needed.

Offline SparroHawc

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: July 31, 2019, 08:16:03 pm »
I think what Thunderwing is looking for is a smoke cloud that does stun/TU damage.

Offline Moon_Dew

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: August 02, 2019, 08:53:32 am »
This has probably been asked a thousand times already, but any advice for getting started?

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: August 02, 2019, 04:55:06 pm »
This has probably been asked a thousand times already, but any advice for getting started?
Ufopaedia would be a good starting point in regards to new game functions and tactics. Don't be afraid to run if you think you can't handle a mission. Early game is pretty forgiving as far as points are concerned. Get your reasearch started asap and push weapons+armor. You might also want to invest in additional agents. Also don't expect to succeed if this is your first playthrough - there is simply a truck-load of new stuff.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 04:57:14 pm by krautbernd »

Offline nicedayright

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: August 02, 2019, 09:16:01 pm »

While it may seem daunting, I'd encourage you to DO EVERY MISSION. At least early on. Don't be afraid to abort a mission, grabbing what loot you can and running, but your campaign can be severely hamstrung by ignoring too many of the bughunts. Well trained agents are one of your most valuable assets, and they get well trained by killing hundreds of zombies, rats and cultists.

The exception is chupacabra hunts. Run the fuck away from chupacabra missions.

Offline Bobit

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: August 02, 2019, 11:51:43 pm »
The exception is any hunt where you're within melee range. Hunts are just training missions where you spamfire from the van until you're in the slightest bit of danger then immediately abort. I really don't like them at all.

You can abort half the missions in the game and be perfectly fine. So long as you just shoot a little, you get the exp, and that's about all you can get from a hunt.

But yeah Chupas have by far the largest range, and are incredibly powerful, frequently oneshotting you on the frst turn from out of range. I might go so far as to say that if you don't know what you're facing in a hunt, you should abort as it could be a chupa.

Offline Covenant

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: August 03, 2019, 01:07:58 am »
The exception is any hunt where you're within melee range. Hunts are just training missions where you spamfire from the van until you're in the slightest bit of danger then immediately abort. I really don't like them at all.

I know what you mean. It's fun doing them all for the first time, and that moment where you go from 'Aah, this is too scary' to 'Wait, I can handle this' is always cool, but yeah, it doesn't take long at all for the hunts to start to feel like a chore.

Actually, on the subject, which are the missions that I definitely shouldn't skip/abort, in terms of points? I'm always worried about running into trouble through accruing a negative score due to not doing them.

Offline nicedayright

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: August 03, 2019, 02:22:00 am »
Honestly I show up for everything but after I've identified that there's nothing new on the mission I generally just abort. hunting down Beatles gets pretty old after awhile.

In other news sectoids just attacked my training base. We are going to see how much they like having to deal with 50 psi screened rookies.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: August 03, 2019, 05:30:29 pm »
hunting down Beatles gets pretty old after awhile.
Is that an easteregg mission?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2606 on: August 03, 2019, 07:00:58 pm »
I toned down the amount of monster hunts. :P
(by about 12.5%)

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: August 03, 2019, 07:57:41 pm »
BTW do you have any plans of reworking enemy deployments for the "into the dark"/cave missions? I always found it strange that "natural" underground species only appeared one at a time, especially as far as bats or spiders are concenred. Shouldn't they be kind of abundant, seeing how they aren't placed there by the syndicate but breed in the caves?

Offline Thunderwing280

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: August 03, 2019, 08:27:39 pm »
For some reason I can't research Alien electronics even though I have all requirements for it. I've researched both a leader and engineer and done the appropirate research. Am I missing something?

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: August 03, 2019, 08:39:23 pm »
For some reason I can't research Alien electronics even though I have all requirements for it. I've researched both a leader and engineer and done the appropirate research. Am I missing something?
Unless something has changed in the latest versions, these are the requirements:
  - name: STR_ALIEN_ELECTRONICS
    requiresBaseFunc: [STDLAB]
    cost: 500
    needItem: true
    dependencies:
      - STR_ALIEN_POWER_SYSTEMS
      - STR_ADVANCED_AI
      - STR_ALIEN_ENGINEER_INTERROGATED
      - STR_LEADER_PLUS

Meaning you need the items itself as well as a standard lab, power systems and advanced ai in addition to the interrogations. Do you have all of these?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 08:42:07 pm by krautbernd »