aliens

Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1949816 times)

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.9.8: X-Cool
« Reply #2460 on: May 05, 2019, 09:35:36 am »
As i understanding is no way to return country, isn,t it?
As far as I know, no. The only way I know is to knock down the UFO before completing the mission. Well, or before the end of the month to fix the save.
What exactly i must fix in save?

You might want to check the 'allowCountriesToCancelAlienPact' variable in the ruleset reference.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 01:23:58 pm by krautbernd »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2461 on: May 05, 2019, 01:31:30 pm »
I researched "Using staff of heart grip" but my agents can't using it in battle (still they can using flame glove). Is this a bug or i missed something?

Using Staff of Heart Grip requires psi training, as it's not a weapon but a psionic device. But you're right, it's completely unclear. I'll add an article to explain the case.

Also i got alien infiltration mission in USA on march 1999 (and all ships has got observators in crew). Thats grasy, did i was must rushed interceptors researching from beginning?). Failed shooting down any ships, destroyed appeared alien base but lost country. As i understanding is no way to return country, isn,t it? UFOpaedia says: "When a country is successfully infiltrated, an alien base will be instantly created in or near the country. Always search for the alien base after the second Battleship. And once you know that the base is there, you have several options available to you." What kind of several options, just destroying or robbing base and landed supply ships?

In the upcoming version this will be possible... But not easy :)

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: May 05, 2019, 02:07:45 pm »
In the upcoming version this will be possible... But not easy :)

Cool, although by the time you have to worry about aliens messing with your country income, you probably have workshops producing vendor trash to compensate.
I suppose that the next version (0.9) will be one of the final ones, right? Unless you follow the Piratez route and continue with 0.9.1a, 0.9.1b, 0.9.2a and so on.

By the way, are there rubber bullets available by now? I'm not sure if there are, but they should be a thing, seeing that Piratez's ones could be adapted here with minimal changes, and it would make perfect sense for your agents to use non-lethal ammo to capture suspects and such. Later on these would likely be surpassed by the dart guns, but that's expected.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: May 05, 2019, 02:30:35 pm »
I suppose that the next version (0.9) will be one of the final ones, right? Unless you follow the Piratez route and continue with 0.9.1a, 0.9.1b, 0.9.2a and so on.

Next version is 0.9.9, not 0.9 :)

And yes, it will 100% go the piratez route of numbering, eventually reaching 0.9.9x9 and then it will shed the prefix and switch to just x9{a}{b}{c} :)
Isn't that the most natural thing?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: May 05, 2019, 03:59:34 pm »
By the way, are there rubber bullets available by now? I'm not sure if there are, but they should be a thing, seeing that Piratez's ones could be adapted here with minimal changes, and it would make perfect sense for your agents to use non-lethal ammo to capture suspects and such. Later on these would likely be surpassed by the dart guns, but that's expected.

Not at the moment, but I'm considering them.

Next version is 0.9.9, not 0.9 :)

And yes, it will 100% go the piratez route of numbering, eventually reaching 0.9.9x9 and then it will shed the prefix and switch to just x9{a}{b}{c} :)
Isn't that the most natural thing?

If it was like this, it would be 0.9.8i. ;)
I really, really want to abandon this numbering theme (mostly at your encouragement), but I am just not ready for 1.0... So I'm stalling.

Online Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: May 06, 2019, 11:18:05 am »
I think it does not really matter how to count versions. I should not stop you from releasing new versions, but I also don't understand people who stick to versions like 0.9.9.99.187, as they already have a working product. It is a special moment of releasing 1.0 version, but I don't think it's it that huge. If everything is working, and the mod is playable (it is not counting like alpha or beta version, it's released version that people play not for testing) it already deserves to be 1.0 impo. Also, I'd like to see versions 1.1 of XCF, or 1.2 (with an alternative ending, huh? ;))

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: May 06, 2019, 02:43:42 pm »
I really, really want to abandon this numbering theme (mostly at your encouragement), but I am just not ready for 1.0... So I'm stalling.

My 2.0 cents

Not only is 1.0 (just like 2.0) overrated, it also tend to attract attention from those with an unhealthy obsession for integer numbers.
This project is clearly a labor of love, I seriously doubt you would ever want to say: This is perfection, let's label it 1.0

So instead of fixating on some elaborate numbering scheme, why not opt for using the month/date of latest publication (e.g. 19.05).
You still deliver the same quality versions as before without having to worry about numbering semantics and peoples reaction on that.

And if the day arrives you feel it is finally worth to label it as 1.0 you can just as easy say: 21.08 is 1.0 :-)

Offline Fiskun1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: May 06, 2019, 04:43:45 pm »
R1dO
Well said!
I completely agree. 8)

Offline YM2612

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: May 07, 2019, 06:00:20 pm »
Aside from few shitty sprites like Mongorn, I'm really enjoying this mod. Thank you for all your hard work.

I have a question about sewers missions. I tried it twice and both times I've started trapped in a small room with no way out.
I tried to use High Explosives but it seems I can't blow up walls with it.
What I'm supposed to do there?

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: May 07, 2019, 10:55:11 pm »
The map blocks sometimes don't connect correctly (engine limitations iirc). I've run into the "HighEx can't blow up walls"-bug before. You should have access to a pickaxe - bring it and use it.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: May 08, 2019, 09:23:50 pm »
Okay, the next version will be 0.9.9 anyway... And then we'll see. :)

Offline Keybounce

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: May 09, 2019, 09:49:37 am »
Roughly how long until the next release? I noticed that you generally had a release about every 10-30 days, and it's been twice that now.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: May 09, 2019, 10:48:27 am »
Roughly how long until the next release? I noticed that you generally had a release about every 10-30 days, and it's been twice that now.

Hopefully next weekend.
Yes, it's been roughly two months since the last release, but it's not because the work has ceased; in fact it is the opposite, I can't remember when I was working this intensely on XCF. This update is just this huge, with Finnik's ADVENT stuff and extra missions etc.

Offline mrbiasha

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: May 09, 2019, 08:33:55 pm »
Hey, that's really nice to hear! New releases are always welcome  :D Though, there's really no neeed to rush if more work means more content and more quality!

Offline NuclearStudent

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The X-Com Files - 0.9.8: X-Cool
« Reply #2474 on: May 10, 2019, 01:25:06 am »
Two questions:

Will it be worth starting a new save for that new update? I'm only half a year into my current save, so it wouldn't be too big a loss for me.

What's the purpose of the flashlight? I don't recall what it actually does beyond an electroflare.