aliens

Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1950291 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.9.6: Tales of The Abyss
« Reply #2190 on: November 25, 2018, 04:53:05 pm »
BTW, have you thought about rebalancing the helicopter vs. the Osprey? The major advantage the Osprey has in real life over conventional helicopters is speed and range. Speedwise it's ok (between the helicopter and the Dragonfly), but the range is the opposite of what i would expect, seeing how the Osprey is also capable of aerial refueling.

I'll buff the Osprey a little.

Offline BlackStaff

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: November 25, 2018, 08:46:14 pm »
I hope this question hasn't already been asked!  :-[
In your archive you have the "common" and "standard" folders.
Why?
In your last archive the executable is dated 07/10. The latest OXCE version indicates 05/11.
Your archive would be lighter if you didn't put the OXCE files and we would avoid having an older version. I tested XFiles by installing the latest version of OXCE and everything seems to work.
My 2 cents !  ;)

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: November 25, 2018, 08:50:30 pm »
I hope this question hasn't already been asked!  :-[
In your archive you have the "common" and "standard" folders.
Why?
In your last archive the executable is dated 07/10. The latest OXCE version indicates 05/11.
Your archive would be lighter if you didn't put the OXCE files and we would avoid having an older version. I tested XFiles by installing the latest version of OXCE and everything seems to work.
My 2 cents !  ;)

I don't understand your point at all.
Are you saying I shouldn't distribute OXCE with the mod? How on Earth would people know then which version the release was made for? Baka!

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: November 25, 2018, 10:18:57 pm »
For what it's worth, i also prefer to having it bundled with the download.

Offline BlackStaff

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: November 26, 2018, 12:42:03 am »
I don't understand your point at all.
Are you saying I shouldn't distribute OXCE with the mod? How on Earth would people know then which version the release was made for? Baka!
Okay! So your Mod has a direct relationship with the OXCE version. That's why the OXCE version you give is an earlier version.
That's not a reproach I'm making.
I didn't understand why you were putting OXCE in your archives when we could upload it to the meridian post.
Thanks and sorry to ask you this question!

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Offline Niewiem

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: November 26, 2018, 09:23:47 am »
It is very simple really.

Current release is based and tested on some version of OXCE. For best user experience they should use same version as modder otherwise they might have unforseen bugs.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: November 28, 2018, 12:26:37 am »
->STR_ADVANCED_AI_UFOPEDIA: "This artificial intelligence unit was built using advanced programming advancements, such as evolving algorithms and neural networks. It is capable of learning and self-programming, adapting to previous experiences. It can be employed in a variety of technologies, like robots or intelligent weapon systems."

Suggestion: concepts?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: November 28, 2018, 09:58:40 am »
Hehe, a pointy good point :)

Offline Toothless Shark

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The X-Com Files - 0.9.6: Tales of The Abyss
« Reply #2198 on: November 28, 2018, 05:24:51 pm »
This reminds me, what is the difference between AI that you can buy and advanced AI you use alien electronics to build? I remember while ago that it was mentioned that you can train advanced AI like your normal troops but in my recent game i wasn't able to. I only noticed slight difference in starting stats and that's it. Nothing worth spending alien electronics on.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: November 28, 2018, 07:49:09 pm »
Totally unrelated:
It's kind of amusing how it's okay bring crossbows or combat knifes to the beach, but not tritanium knives or shivs.  Might i suggest adding both to the allowed list for beach/sporting gear (since the tritanium knife practically replaces the combat knife?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 07:50:58 pm by krautbernd »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: November 28, 2018, 09:45:20 pm »
This reminds me, what is the difference between AI that you can buy and advanced AI you use alien electronics to build? I remember while ago that it was mentioned that you can train advanced AI like your normal troops but in my recent game i wasn't able to. I only noticed slight difference in starting stats and that's it. Nothing worth spending alien electronics on.

This division is now defunct, since I decided to make all AIs trainable (since you are stuck with basic AI for so long, and it's no fun).

Totally unrelated:
It's kind of amusing how it's okay bring crossbows or combat knifes to the beach, but not tritanium knives or shivs.  Might i suggest adding both to the allowed list for beach/sporting gear (since the tritanium knife practically replaces the combat knife?

It looks kinda different from a normal knife, but you're right - it's not something people would be overly suspicious about. I'll allow it too on the beach mission.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: November 29, 2018, 12:11:52 am »
Thanks, that simplifies things a bit  :D

I hope i am not going overboard with this, but would consider adding seperate images to spider subtypes? They are hard enough to differentiate in daylight, but encountering them in the underground caverns - where they are blocked by the tight corridors so you can't see them - doesn't make things any easier.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: November 29, 2018, 12:08:52 pm »
I hope i am not going overboard with this, but would consider adding seperate images to spider subtypes? They are hard enough to differentiate in daylight, but encountering them in the underground caverns - where they are blocked by the tight corridors so you can't see them - doesn't make things any easier.

No problem! Just send me the new graphics. :D

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: November 29, 2018, 05:45:26 pm »
I have also redone the default giant spider inventory image and moved all the templates 6 pixels to the right so they don't overlap the weapon boxes. There's something funky going on with the colors - i have used the standard battlescape palette, but the colors always come out a bit lighter/brighter in the mod. If you can point me to the right palette to use i'd happily redo them (or other image files for that matter).

« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 05:48:13 pm by krautbernd »

Offline Wolfstarr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: November 29, 2018, 05:54:28 pm »
Don’t forget I posted some spider frames in the resources section that would fit the HWP frame :)

Edit: in the zip file here :) - https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,6719.0.html
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 05:58:27 pm by SideQuests »