aliens

Author Topic: Cyclops corpse more valuable than prisoner?  (Read 4407 times)

Offline karadoc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Cyclops corpse more valuable than prisoner?
« on: April 27, 2016, 02:07:42 am »
I recently encountered cyclopses for the first time; and since it was relatively easy to capture them alive, I brought home 6 live ones.

For every other species I've encountered, it has been more valuable to bring them back alive rather than dead; and so I was surprised and disappointed do find that I can't seem to do anything useful with my live cyclopses. I can't butcher them, or rob them, or enslave them; and I could only research them once. The random payment is small. At the same time, the corpses are actually quite useful for producing high-quality armour. So I'm wishing that my 5 remaining cyclopses were actually corpses!

Am I missing something? It seems a bit silly to me that I can't use my live cyclopses to produce the same stuff I could with the corpses.

Offline Roxis231

• Colonel
  • Catching the feral kitten hiding in my rubish bin
    • View Profile
Re: Cyclops corpse more valuable than prisoner?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 02:31:28 am »
Zharkov made a mod to allow you to shave the cyclopses - but its for an older version, you might have to make changes.

Link Here

Its the second post. Also read the fluff - its funny.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 04:02:14 am »
live cyclopes can be converted into auxiliaries after voodoo:communion tech. Not particularly great auxiliaries beyond there absurd tanking potential. Very slow at only 30ish TU. Exceptional in a hideout defense supporting swabbies as they gain a morale boost ability over there enemy version. Also one of the few tanky auxiliary that you can heal when its down.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 10:22:38 am »
Cyclops corpse dependency will be removed completely in the next version.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 10:33:29 am »
:o

Offline karadoc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 02:50:18 pm »
Interesting.

From what I've seen, all fairly strong armours in the game require scarce resources, so that it's not easy to get high-quality armour for everyone. If full plate mail armour didn't require anything special, it would become a pretty powerful 'default' armour, I think.

Incidentally, I've been unable to build any Xeno armour at all, due to lack of chrysalids. At this point I probably wouldn't use that armour anyway, because I've got a heap of synthmuscle suits. I figure that synthmuscle is similar to Xeno, and probably better for most situations. This is my first and only play-through of the game, so I'm assuming that it's mostly just luck causing me to miss Xeno armour.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 03:38:06 pm »
Xeno is pretty rare unless you are fighting church extensively since they are the only faction to field chrysalids. Celatids are at least 2 factions. Xeno is also not particularly spectacular outside of melee flankers who can make use of the bonus energy regen to sprint farther. Most melee weapons get better STR then melee scale so a synthmuscle will have better raw dmg in most cases with only marginally worse accuracy. Xeno does have +20 bravery so those wearing it can be immune to morale which is a thing.

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 04:18:17 pm »
Interesting.

From what I've seen, all fairly strong armours in the game require scarce resources, so that it's not easy to get high-quality armour for everyone. If full plate mail armour didn't require anything special, it would become a pretty powerful 'default' armour, I think.

Incidentally, I've been unable to build any Xeno armour at all, due to lack of chrysalids. At this point I probably wouldn't use that armour anyway, because I've got a heap of synthmuscle suits. I figure that synthmuscle is similar to Xeno, and probably better for most situations. This is my first and only play-through of the game, so I'm assuming that it's mostly just luck causing me to miss Xeno armour.

Well, maybe it is just me, but the synthmuscle fabric is usually attached to a mercenary. And I seldom walk away from a fight with them without gals KIA and WIA. Mostly because those mercs come to a sword fight with baby nukes. Chrysalids seem to me much easier to fight...

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 05:38:08 pm »
Mercs are the poster child for bring a different dmg type loadout. High hp, moderate armor, and a whopping 40% or more dmg reduction vs pierce. They also resist fire and explosives so the normal tools for big foes dont apply. But git up in there face with a blade and they crumble. Better yet lasers or plasma.