Author Topic: [MOD] Eddie's Idea Lab  (Read 8576 times)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: [MOD] Eddie's Idea Lab
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 06:08:11 pm »
And I hardly use the RCF one either if I can use the Assault Rifle. :D

And I avoid all of the above if I have Battle Rifles and PS Ammo. ;)

And yeah.  Fast forward 600 years, and all this analysis on present day ballistics can kind of go by the wayside.  I doubt XPirateZ benefits from the Gun Pron that JA2 1.13 spawned. :)  Almost too much as it is.  ;)

But as Dioxine has pointed out, the variety in the mod is not to create massive distinctions in each weapon, but rather to add flavor, and create an environment, where factions can carry distinctive loadouts, so its not the same junk every mission. :)

Offline The Think Tank

• Captain
  • "If we can't see them, they can't see us!" - Rook
    • View Profile
Re: [MOD] Eddie's Idea Lab
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2016, 01:16:07 am »
It depends on the type of the target. Raw penetration, as in artillery's tables, depends on momentum, which AK's projectile has more due to higher mass (the best penetrators for a given energy input are slow & massive). It also carries a bit more energy. However 5.56 NATO causes less friction, so it wastes less energy while penetrating. Also both projectiles are built differently - standard 5.56 NATO is a full-metal-jacket ball ammo, while standard 7.62 mm has a steel core as well, which again might lend to higher penetration. However, that's today's standard ammo... and that's only my theorizing. I've seen no definite proof of better penetration in that video either, just AK making more mess.
Also penetration of what? Concrete? Flak jacket? Wood? Flesh? Ballistic plate? These can vary, and mostly depend on projectile construction when we weigh two so close contestants. Eg. 7.62 WP rounds easily go all the way through a man, without stopping, due to those steel cores; while 5.56 NATO has a tendency to sometimes spin or even shatter, leading to really nasty wounds. It certaily changes direction much more easily on an obstacle due to lower momentum...
We can go on and on like this... and it's not even clear if M-16 and AK derivatives in Piratez are of the same callibre as today, or even if they are, what kind of ammo are they using. It's probably some hand-manufactured crap more often than not.

Well, from the information I have on ballistics and rifle ammunition supposedly the 7.62x39mm round fragments better against soft targets than the traditional M855 5.56x45mm round, as the original M855 was yaw-dependent (meaning it would need to tumble to cause fragment) however, the newer Mk. 262, Mk. 318 and M855A1 5.56mm rounds are no longer yaw-dependent, giving them similar fragmentation characteristics to the 7.62x39mm. In addition, the M855A1 (which is used in the US Army, Mk. 262 is used by SOCOM and Mk. 318 is used by USMC) replaces its lead penetrator with hardened plastic, which not only makes it easier to produce, but also offers superior penetration characteristics, providing about 1-2mm more penetration against steel plates than a 7.62x39 and 7.62x51 NATO API rounds.

There you go.