aliens

Author Topic: Special ammo availability  (Read 3827 times)

Offline x60mmx

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Special ammo availability
« on: April 18, 2016, 03:10:27 am »
Are there any plans of making special ammo types (Acid/Inc/etc) available to more of the guns that have ammmo the player can manufacture?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: Special ammo availability
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 03:21:49 am »
Generally speaking, no. Existing guns have mostly reached maturity in their design. However there are plans to vastly broaden the range of landmines (and to a lesser extent, grenades and one-shot explosives).

Offline x60mmx

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 08:49:28 am »
Any reason if you don't mind me asking?  It's strange that your gals figure out how to make acid rounds . . . but then don't make them for the vast majority of weapons they have.   :o

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 09:06:10 am »
Functional and game-play limitations. The functional limit on a pedia entry page is 3 ammos with careful formatting. Do you want 2+ pages for every gun? I don't. Things dense as it is. Second putting every ammo on every gun dilutes meaningful diversity and leads to the one best weapon for every situation game state. 

Offline x60mmx

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 09:28:15 am »
Well there are very few guns with more than two types of ammo, and very few guns that offer Acid rounds.  I'm not saying that every gun should have special ammo types available, that would be ridiculous.  I just think it should be available to more than a few guns.  It looks like until you research Advanced Firearms, you have nearly no access to Acid rounds despite being able to produce them.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 10:13:13 am »
True maybe a few more acid rounds are needed but what does have them is reasonably justified in my mind. Most ammunition either doesn't have the size to pack meaningful quantities or has to high projectile speed for such round to survive flight. Such rounds are much like paintballs. The ideal weapon is something like the magnum, big caliber and low velocity. While you can make such rounds for large caliber snipers and anti-material rifles at that point E=MC^2 makes any solid penatrator round much better then anything but the most volatile compounds at sheer damage. The mod even has this as a rule:60+ dmg pierce, and plasma always cause armor damage even if they get blocked. 

Offline Boltgun

• Colonel
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
    • Piratez let's play
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 10:32:25 am »
Balancing a game is like playing Jenga. Add a piece at the wrong place and most of your tower is on the floor.

In vanilla you start with a broad range of weapon but afterwards heavy plasma becomes a golden gun that destroys everything.

For now it upgrades a few weapons that became obsolete when you researched ammo, keeping your loot worthwhile.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 04:48:54 pm »
I can only agree with the reasons stated by others. It'd make no sense, it'd lead to insane clutter, it'd destroy weapon variety.

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 05:07:53 pm »
Let me put it in my unusual dutchie manner. If you want special ammo, better mod it in!!